Hi everyone looking for help with 820 restoration

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Knighty
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hi everyone looking for help with 820 restoration

Post by Knighty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Dear all I have owned 8 rovers and loved everyone ( even the one that blew up after 4 weeks!) I am the proud owner of Rover 820 sterling T reg which I would dearly love to restore to showroom condition or close too. Sadly my skills are limited as is my time but I am happy to pay a restorer to get my lovely motor sweet again. Now I have tried some local restorers and unless it's an XJS or a Ferrari they don't want to know ( I live in Solihull) they get very sniffy about the ROver 800 which frankly is short sighted! Anyway can anyone help me do you guys have any contacts of honest but good restorers or someone on the forum who would be happy and has the skills to bring my motor to life?
Thanks to all for reading the long post

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hi everyone looking for help with 820 restoration

Post by MG Mal » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Call Nick and ask his advice.
Ex Rover spanner man, and very knowledgeable.
Mind you, not cheap either.

http://www.austingarages.co.uk/

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:59 am

Both my Mk1 and Mk2 have had large amounts of restoration/maintenance work over the years.

For mechanical stuff, Rover Centre, St Albans (talk to Andrew) http://www.roverofstalbans.co.uk/

For bodywork, Harris Coachworks, Dunstable (talk to Herbie) http://www.harriscoachworksltd.co.uk/

Both work to the highest standards with full discussion before and during about what you want to achieve. They are also capable of liaising with each other where parts of the job may overlap. Both places are good at coming up with creative solutions when needed where parts needed are not available.

Good luck with it!
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

torque2me
Regular Visitor

Post by torque2me » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:46 pm

mjc9967 wrote:Both my Mk1 and Mk2 have had large amounts of restoration/maintenance work over the years.

For mechanical stuff, Rover Centre, St Albans (talk to Andrew) http://www.roverofstalbans.co.uk/

For bodywork, Harris Coachworks, Dunstable (talk to Herbie) http://www.harriscoachworksltd.co.uk/

Both work to the highest standards with full discussion before and during about what you want to achieve. They are also capable of liaising with each other where parts of the job may overlap. Both places are good at coming up with creative solutions when needed where parts needed are not available.
Thanks for those two contacts. They will probably come in handy for me!

Kev

red1
Regular Visitor

Post by red1 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Hello,
I can vouch for Rovers of St Albans.
This year they have recored (?) my radiator, replaced brake pipes, fitted new timing belts, fixed the passenger seat electric tilt mechanism, repainted a rear door, repainted A & C pillars and carried out a full service. I've probably forgotten something!
All the work doesn't come cheap but it feels great driving a rare car.
Hope everything goes well.
Eric
N reg Sterling 4door 1995 8.27v6 mark 2a

Knighty

Post by Knighty » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks to all for your kind advice. Update I have changed the timing belt, starter motor and put on a new back box, well worth the investment to get this lovely motor running. Covered 500 miles in a week really enjoying the comfort, then some kind individual decided to prang the side ( not too bad but galling), so will now look at bodywork restoration options amongst those you have all suggested. Will post some pics at some point!