Hi All

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
vectrolosys
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hi All

Post by vectrolosys » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Hello,

I'll start by introducing myself. I am James Copp-Taylor. I have recently joined this forum, as I have recently come back into the Rover 800 world. I last owned an 800, back in 2002. A Caribbean blue, Rover 820Turbo Fastback. This made way for a 1987 Jaguar XJ40 3.6, which was my classic mainstay until Christmas 2012, when it went off to its new home with the editor of Practical Classics magazine.

This has meant I have had a classic shaped hole, in my life. I had been toying with the idea of another Sterling, for a while, but.....it had to be, a Mk1, early production and with the 6 dial dash. So, I am now the proud owner of a 1987 Rover Sterling 2.7 (one of the first 2.7's , as it still sports the early (fragile) door handles, and different door trims.

I look forward to bringing the car up to a show standard (not concours, just tidy enough to show). Overall, she's in very good order, especially for an 87 build!

I look forward to contributing further.

James

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hi All

Post by Lord Sterling » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:55 pm

HOWL!

Welcome to the site James. I did wonder what happend to you.

I seem to remember you having a site dedicated to the Rover 800, I used to trawl that site for hours on end (back in the day when 56k ruled the internet waves) I remember you having several Mk1 800s, including a Mk1 820se with mk1 Vitesse wheels (which I thought looked a bit wrong, sorry) Were you not a member of this site back in its very, very early days? (I'm talking around 2000/1) I seem to vaguely recall it being Black and Green early internet type site, very fiddly to use then. I think I joined just before or just after it changed.

I also rememver you a very small site poking fun at the boy-racers and thier choice of car, such as kitted-up Novas and the like, there was even a section showing boy-racer type wear and gentlemanly Rover driver type garments. :lol:

Please put up a picture of you '87 Sterling! To me, an 1987 Rover Sterling is the holy grail for me, personally. I am (one of a very few) enthusiast who owns a 1987 E-reg Rover 825 Sterling. I am currently trying stash some cash for a D-reg Sterling, I also own a 1987 mk1 D-reg Rover 820E, a mk1 saloon on the other-end of the 'spec'trum.

vectrolosys

Post by vectrolosys » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Hello,

Indeed, I was on the Listbot mailing list, way back in the late 90's, stayed when it became the egroups, and later, yahoogroups mailing list, then left the scene in around 2001/2.

The rather sad portal into my early 20's , i.e. www.build-quality.co.uk , is, still live, as it appears to have languished on Easynets servers, and, even though I no longer hold an account, the site has never been removed.

It's an embarrasing look into my early 20's (I am 34, now!) , but, nice to see it is still around. I raided a load of brochure photos off it, the other day!.

Nice to see an early 820E still around, whenever a model becomes rare, it's the lower spec models that become the rarest. I get quite excited, at classic car shows, if I see a low spec model of a rare classic, the Fiat Strada is a good example. The vast majority of survivors, are the 105TC and 130TC versions. However, it is nice to see well preserved 60 65 and 75CL versions, still around.

I would've loved a 2.5 Sterling, either an 86 or 87, but, the survival rates are so low, an early 2.7 is the next best thing. I am currently on the lookout for a set of early, 2.5 Sterling alloys, as the set currently on my Sterling, are the later, early 2.7 (late 87) lattice type affairs, with the fake five stud centre caps. If a set of early 2.5 alloys came up, I would be happy :).

James

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Welcome.

I suppose the turbo went to the great tuning monster in the sky.
A guy on Rovertech found a Caribbean blue turbo in his Mum's garage in Stockport. Unfortunately, I don't think he saved it. It had been sitting there for over 5 years and was covered in dust, curtains and other garage associated dumpings.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

vectrolosys

Post by vectrolosys » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Not too sure whaT became of J421RRW, myold 820turbo. I had to part with her, late 2001, dueto redundancy, I wish I'd held onto her, to be honest. I had replace the head, as th3 original had cracked, and treated her to a full waxoyl. She went downto Portsmouth, and I lost track at that point. One of the biggest car related mistakes of my life, was selling it, in the first place.

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:10 pm

vectrolosys wrote:Not too sure whaT became of J421RRW, myold 820turbo. I had to part with her, late 2001
I'm afraid it didn't last much longer after you sold it:

The vehicle details for J421 RRW are:

Date of Liability: 30 04 2002
Date of First Registration: 01 12 1991
Year of Manufacture: 1991
Cylinder Capacity (cc): 1994cc
Fuel Type: PETROL
Export Marker: N
Vehicle Status: Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour: BLUE

vectrolosys

Post by vectrolosys » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:15 pm

A shame, a great shame. I spent a fair amount of time polshing and lapping valves into the replacement head. She was stunning, once finished. I can only assume it was wrapped around a tree :(.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Welcome James
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:44 pm

James - Just read the bit about the alloys. I did have 2 sets of good mk1 alloys, the type you are after, sadly one set got nicked otherwise I might have done a swap with you as I know somekne else after a set of the Lattice alloys you have. I rather like the early Lattice alloys and have about 2 sets, one already on a car and the others, with good tyres ready to go on the E-reg Mk1.

I'm glad your site stayed up, I do pop into it every now and again. Would you be able to still gain access and update it? We need a little more recognition, this site and some of the members (Alex and TDHFastKate) are doing wonders on that front but a little more help might give us the boost we need.

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:51 pm

Lord Sterling wrote:
vectrolosys wrote:Not too sure whaT became of J421RRW, myold 820turbo. I had to part with her, late 2001
I'm afraid it didn't last much longer after you sold it:

The vehicle details for J421 RRW are:

Date of Liability: 30 04 2002
Do a search for J945PPL.

You'll see a very old liability date but the car is sat on my drive awaiting recommissioning.

I SORN'd it the first year, got a reminder 12 months later and then nothing.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 am

Hi, welcome to the site
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

vectrolosys

Post by vectrolosys » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:01 am

Hi all,

Many thanks for the welcome :-).

James

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:31 pm

Welcome James. Fancy seeing you here! :lol:

I hope you enjoy the 827. :)
One or two 800s...