Hello to everyone.

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: Hello to everyone.

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:03 am

Etiquette? Don't worry too much about that - we're pretty easy going and as long as no-one is plain rude or offensive, we're happy :)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am

As I said, we'll tolerate most things........ :)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

jondavis827
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jondavis827 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Good to know. Life's too short to be rude or offensive!
Been a mad week but I did manage to wash the Rover in the rain last night. The n/s was still covered in moss and lichen. The rain makes it must easier to get off plus it rinses the car quicker than I can carry watering cans up to the yard!
Anyway, I think I've managed to update my profile so my other cars are listed. My Volvo needs MOT soon, so this weekend I will be checking it over etc prior to booking it in. it's currently in the same yard as the 827 so while the tools are out I will make sure I find time to do something to the Rover.
Jon
1975 MGB GT Jubilee
1982 Ford Sierra 2.0 Ghia.
1989 Rover 827Si Manual.
1990 Volvo 740 Gl Estate.
1998 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8 LHD.
2000 VW Polo

vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by vito » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:56 pm

Love to see a link to pics of the Sierra ..........
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri May 01, 2015 4:32 am

jondavis827 wrote:Anyway, I think I've managed to update my profile so my other cars are listed.
When you get a chance I'd like to see some pictures of the MGB - plus a bit of info about it.

I've got an MGC GT back home, waiting for a little TLC which it will (hopefully) get this summer

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri May 01, 2015 7:24 am

I don't want to be critical of your methods, but I would be concentrating on getting the electrics and mechanical bits working BEFORE washing it. I could drive it closer to a tap then. Or better still a CAR WASH.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

jondavis827

Post by jondavis827 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Hope everyone's having a good weekend.
The Rover is in a friend's yard on his farm. It has been in the same place for the last decade and I have done nothing to it. He is a good friend ..... he hasn't asked for a penny in storage fees once in all that time.
Other people use the yard and as I mentioned in an earlier post, one guy was using the Rover as a work bench. I witnessed him dumping drills etc on the bonnet and roof. I asked him not to and he was initially dismissive, commenting that the car was scrap and worthless.
This is what prompted me to act after a decade. How could I stop him? He pays rent to be in the yard -I never have. Twenty years ago I'd have probably have got angry ... but in this case I thought the best thing to do was clean the car. It was completely covered in moss and lichen but now is clean, with a nicely polished bonnet.
It worked because I've seen the guy since and he expressed amazement at the difference.. and wants me to polish his Shogun...
The point- if the Rover was on my land I would sort the mechanicals etc before washing her but unfortunately appearances count. A few weeks ago she looked like a scrap car - now she looks like something worth saving so it's bought me some time.
As far as utilities go, there is power in an adjacent barn and I have asked if I can run a lead over for a vacuum cleaner etc. All OK. I don't want to pressure wash the engine bay before I attempt a start.
I will change the oil, turn the engine over manually and do the cambelt and tensioner too.
Unfortnately I need the load carrying capacity of the Volvo for my living so must MOT the 740 although I do sometimes feel sod the Volvo.
Jon
Jon
1975 MGB GT Jubilee
1989 Rover 827Si Manual.
2000 VW Polo

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sun May 03, 2015 10:44 pm

Hi Jon, I've just been reading this thread and noticed that you don't live to far away from me. Hopefully we could meet up at some point. I've just bought my mk1 Sterling, but also coming with it is a red Mk1 for spares. I know I need the engine, but if you are able to find storage for the red one, you would be welcome to take and use any spares off that car, which may be needed for yours. This would do me a favour as space where I live is limited and could save you a hell of a lot of cash and time trying to source parts that I'm sure you will need if your car has been sat for 10 years.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Ian.

jondavis827

Post by jondavis827 » Mon May 04, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi Ian,
Thanks for your message. Most thoughtful. I would like to meet and see your new car. BTW welcome to Oxford. I'm new to this forum - and forums in general - but I guess at this point I should send you a personal message to arrange things? Will try to do so.
Jon
Jon
1975 MGB GT Jubilee
1989 Rover 827Si Manual.
2000 VW Polo

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Mon May 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Thank you Jon. The sterling is hopefully being delivered on Wednesday. The spares car will arrive the weekend of the 16/17th.

I look forward to meeting you and hopefully other members from the forum.

jondavis827

Post by jondavis827 » Sat May 09, 2015 6:27 pm

This week has been busy and so haven't made any further progress with my car.
Dear Ian, I think you should have received a Personal Message from me re arranging a meeting. I hope the Sterling arrived as hoped on Wednesday.
Jon
1975 MGB GT Jubilee
1989 Rover 827Si Manual.
2000 VW Polo