Hi everybody, I've just bought an 800

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hi everybody, I've just bought an 800

Post by CHR15E » Sun May 03, 2015 11:34 pm

Sterling wrote:I moved from Cardiff to Oxford in 2013z. I had a house with plenty of parking space. Now I live in a flat with one parking space and I own 5 cars. My neighbours question my sanity as I'm registered Blind so can't even drive my own cars on the road. Lol.

Regarding space, currently my cars have a bigger footprint on this earth than my one bedroom flat. Lol
You've definitely found the right asylum here. :D

That's considered fairly normal here, I was once part of the faith but have since been cured. :D
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Sterling
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sterling » Sun May 03, 2015 11:42 pm

As an owner of cars since the age of 14, I can say for certain that there is undoubtedly NO cure!

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun May 03, 2015 11:48 pm

I felt like that in the past, these days I've lost all interest.

For me I think I sort of overdosed as such.

57 800s can do that to you I think? :D

Not simultaneously obviously but over 12 or so years.

I think starting with a good car and getting it how you want is the way to go as you are.
Chris

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Mon May 04, 2015 12:06 am

Though not all the same, I've owned literally hundreds of cars. I started with a Morris Oxford in 1984, through rovers, dad's Simca's, many viva's as I used to chair the owners club, metro's which is why the current metro club exists, fiesta's Bluebirds and now back to Rovers.

For about 3 years I lost interest, but it came back with a bang, just before Christmas when I purchased the 216s.

Your interest is still present as your still looking in forums.

Can I also thank Kate for her pics of Longbridge. I remember reading Kate's posts back when she had just purchased the police car and was about to re omission it. I really enjoyed following her story back then.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon May 04, 2015 9:23 am

I'd go with what Chris and Paul have said - take the engine from the spares car, clean it up and paint it whilst it's out and then drop it in. It will take less time than trying to fix the broken one and carries less risk, I reckon. Don't worry about mileage, condition is everything
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon May 04, 2015 9:40 am

mrpcpc wrote:I hold the record for the most manual 8 :| 27's. Muugh Muuughh Muuuuuuugh ha ha ha haaaaa ! :evil: :mrgreen:
Currently, of course. :)

Total, I've had a few too.

What's your total, I'll go and count. :D
Chris

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Mon May 04, 2015 10:24 am

Would be interesting to see how many manual 827's Brad has had over the years, I'm guessing more than any dealer in the country.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon May 04, 2015 10:29 am

Don't think he was a fan TBH?

I've just counted up, I've had 10. Though 2 were conversions.

7 MK1s and 3 MK2s.
Chris

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Mon May 04, 2015 8:56 pm

holy mother of god, you bought the 827 i tried to buy a while back off the classic car sales in wiltshire, how did you buy it in the end, as i emailed and phoned, left messages spoke to someone, and still they never came back to me, amazed you even managed to get it they are that useless.

lovely car though, you got the red 827sli parts car they had as well, you going to swap the motor over or do head gaskets on the black ones engine.

whatever though, i salute you in getting your hands on it.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Mon May 04, 2015 9:24 pm

I'm sorry you missed out on the car, but I'm glad I've got it. They have a few mk1's, so if you message me your number, I'll happy get Russell to call you. He has been fantastic and has bent over backwards to assist me, both with the purchase of both cars and also their delivery.

I'm so sorry that your experience up to now has not been of a standard that is acceptable, but to be fair, I can't recommend them highly enough. They are a hobby car sales, so prices are negotiatable, and they are approachable.

I was going to fix the head gasket, but after seeking advise on here, I have decided to do the engine swap. I'm just sorry that it won't be done in time for the Gaydin event on the 17 which I will be attending.

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Mon May 04, 2015 10:26 pm

well I'm glad someone got it, i love black 800s, mate can i ask what you gave for both cars in the end.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Mon May 04, 2015 11:52 pm

£500. I believed that to be a fair offer after I did my research into prices from this forum. I explained this to Russell after a few messages back and forth including a telephone call. I had evidence showing him that he would not realise the prices he was asking for both cars, as I was able to show him factors such as cost of transportation, repairs and final value of the Sterling. In the end I have both cars delivered from Wiltshire to Oxford, for less than his original asking price.

It just goes to prove that if your prepared to do your homework and prove to a dealer that your doing them the favour because fixing the car is not economically viable for them, you can get a bargain anywhere.

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 am

Sterling wrote:I believed that to be a fair offer after I did my research into prices from this forum.
That's such good advice for anyone (on any forum) when it comes to trying to get the car you want at a price you want. There are so many people knocking around who will offer a third of the asking price and expect you to meet them at 50% because "that's how you get a good price innit?".

I'm always much more willing to negotiate when it's clear the person I'm dealing with knows what they are talking about, shows a real interest and, crucially, are polite about it. If both parties come away happy, job done.

Well done - and it sounds like you're well into the project too. Good luck!
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Tue May 05, 2015 2:14 pm

That's been knocking around for sale for ages. I'm so glad it's gone to an enthusiast.

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Wed May 06, 2015 7:44 pm

Well I'm very chuffed this evening. My new rover has been delivered and I'm verry happy with it. Of course the engine work has to be done, but apart from a little minor tiny bit of rust, the bodywork needs a good cut and polish. The front leather seats need a bit of restoration, but that's about it. Tomorrow, I will get to have a proper chance to get my hands dirty. Since its last mot, the car has done nothing.