Hi and quick question!

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cwgt93
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hi and quick question!

Post by cwgt93 » Mon May 25, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi guys, my name's Charlie. I've recently seen a 820 vitesse coupe for sale not far from me and I've always liked them and know they are rare. I currently own a Mitsubishi Galant Sport v6 - also quite a rare car. Anyway, the main thing I would like to know is are parts still available for the 820's or are they hard to come by these days? The one I have seen has 90k on the clock with service history up to 80k. Is there anything that may need replacing in particular with the amount of miles? I know the cambelt has already been done. Any advice or experience's would be appreciated. Just not sure whether it's a mistake to get rid of my Galant for a 1997 Rover with possibly no spares available. Thanks.

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hi and quick question!

Post by SJG » Mon May 25, 2015 6:53 pm

They are getting harder to find, especially some of the weak spots, like the fuel filter tubes, the coolant expansion tanks and wings. Servicing items are not too bad.

Things to check would be the filler tube and suspension creaks at the front as this might be the lower ball joints and the front end can collapse of they go.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

cwgt93

Post by cwgt93 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. Seems like this community is still quite popular with a lot of experience which is comforting. I've heard that the 820 is relatively easy to gain extra horses out of and that rover toned it down in production as it was leaving the v6 for dead - is this true?

cwgt93

Post by cwgt93 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Thanks for the input. One of the first things I checked was that there was a solid forum base which I think is important. I don't know why but it just caught my eye and I do like the look of it. The listing says all the right things, but who knows. Hmmm I do like the sound of the Galant's v6 though ;) I wonder which would be quicker...

cwgt93

Post by cwgt93 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Also, sorry for being dim, but what on earth is a window cassette!?

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon May 25, 2015 7:49 pm

The only things that are the same as the saloon and fastbacks' are the bumpers and the bonnet. The window cassettes are the massive front windows and how they are held in the door. You might want to look at my thread, I think there are some pictures of the door in pieces.

http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3146
Simon

cwgt93

Post by cwgt93 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:53 pm

That's interesting thankyou. Seems a bit overkill for a window to go up and down. Am I correct in thinking these cars were 80% hand built? so essentially each and everyone is unique. I would like to own a fine piece of British engineering in my lifetime so maybe an 820 could be just that.

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon May 25, 2015 8:07 pm

If you are keen on modding or seeking a power boost, it's worth having a look on rovertech.net There is tons of info on tuning the T series over there, wheres this site is a goldmine of knowledge for keeping the standard car on the road.

Spares are running short, but there is little that can't be repaired, refurbed or alternatives sought with a little skill and ingenuity. Again, most members on here will share their knowledge to keep another 800 going.

Back to the power gains, it is true that the Turbo engine was de-tuned to save the gearbox, but the engines standard components are close to their limit in standard 200bhp tune too. Huge gains are possible, but at a price. One thing I do know is that the coupe is slightly more difficult to mod as there is less room for a larger intercooler due to the standard air-con.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon May 25, 2015 8:35 pm

Here is quite a good guide, we have some on the site here also

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/cars/ro ... rover-800/
Simon

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue May 26, 2015 6:13 am

Welcome Charlie
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT