Hi from West Wales

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
t120v
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hi from West Wales

Post by t120v » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:38 am

Hi all
Just brought home my first 800, quite well known on forum as it's the ex urbanviking/whitelion58/verytallbrad Vitesse.
An amazing car, it really is difficult to believe the mileage is genuine it feels so right. Some electrical Gremlins need to be evicted, some bodywork/paint problems, but not a lot, and the subframe to change and that's it.
Russ
TVR 350i
Triumph T120V
Triumph T150V
HD FXRPS
Vitesse Mk1c

vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hi from West Wales

Post by vito » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Welcome Russ
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

stanker
Regular Visitor

Post by stanker » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi Russ

You're not far from me, if you need parts you can't find on eBay or this forum, I might be able to help.

Regards

Ian

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Well done Russ - you've got an excellent car there with many recent new parts and an excellent 2.7 engine and box.

What are the electrical gremlins you mention? I may be able to shed some light on them, no pun intended!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:19 am

Welcome Russ

should be some good roads to try that V6 out in your part of the world :wink:

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

t120v

Post by t120v » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:09 am

Thanks for the welcome and offers of help. I'm sure I will need advice at some point & probably soon. I'll be using the car over the winter as is, by spring/summer I hope to have room in the garage to start work on bodywork. The first electrical gremlin I need to sort out is the trip/vehicle monitor, it seems to come on ok, except for a couple of dodgy segments on the trip display, when the car is first started but dies soon afterward. I'm thinking dry/high resistance joint, cracked track, dodgy earth or even iffy fuse mounting. Anyway I'll check the obvious things first & if no luck I'll start a new thread asking for help.

Russ
TVR 350i
Triumph T120V
Triumph T150V
HD FXRPS
Vitesse Mk1c

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:54 am

I thought it was the VCM you were on about. There's quite a tale on that - it was originally fitted to another car (the original on this Vitesse had apparently given up the ghost some time back) and the owner of that car (himself an electronics engineer) had the VCM out, stripped it, reflowed the solder joints etc and got it working as much as you describe in the car he had. This car was bought for spares and besides donating its VCM to this Vitesse, also donated its alternator, radiator (the radiator was new in 2005, saw 2 years service in the donor car and then nothing until the Vitesse) and a few other odds and ends.
It could be worth checking the solder joints on the VCM but i have a feeling there is a battery of some description in them to keep the memory for the distance, fuel used etc and this could be effecting all sorts of things. If you can find and replace this battery then it may well sort the display problem as well as the memroy problem. Of course there might be a joint that the first bloke missed, i've not looked at the VCM so can't be sure but as far as i know, the displays aren't available so go careful if you do have a poke about in there.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

t120v

Post by t120v » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:09 pm

Thanks Dave, that is interesting. If the VCM has been behaving like this in another vehicle then obviously it should be the VCM itself which is the problem. Although I am aware that it pays not to assume anything, I think I'll start there, I suppose it could be a component breaking down, I'll have to get it on the bench & take a few voltage measurements.
Russ
TVR 350i
Triumph T120V
Triumph T150V
HD FXRPS
Vitesse Mk1c

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:31 pm

You're welcome Russ - as you say it nevers pays to assume anything so it might be handy to put a test lamp across the supply rails to the VCM where it can be seen, something like a 3W bulb in a warning light holder just dangling from the dash so you can see it and if that goes dim in sympathy with the VCM display that would obviously point to a supply voltage problem. Either way it would eliminate the supply (or confirm it!) as being the problem.

I seem to recall the guy that originally reflowed the solder joints in the VCM also mentioned he had replaced a couple of electrolytic capacitors in the power supply area of the VCM board and it corsses my mind there may be more that were/are borderline and giving problems still, or possibly on the display driver cicuit. I know the viewing angle/brightness/sharpness of LCD displays can be altered with the clock frequency so perhaps a timing capacitor on that part of the board is getting weak with age and going out of tolerance once it warms up.

Good luck with it anyway, gives you something to fiddle with on these cold winter nights while your soldering iron keeps you warm! :wink: :D Let us know how you get on?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

DJScoots

Post by DJScoots » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi Russ, welcome to the forum