My Introduction

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

gyrobird
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My Introduction

Post by gyrobird » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:23 pm

Well, After introducing my self on a topic rather than here I have made a couple of friends already. 8)

Hello again Tom and Dave.

My name is Mike and I'm an 800aholic.

I'm originally from Islington but have recently moved to Colchester.

Yes, I've blown a few fuses, airbags and ECU'z along the way but my intentions are in getting my self another Mk1 Sterling or a later Vitesse as I have enjoyed driving both along with the not so enjoyable expense.

Currently got my eye on a lovely late Flame red Vitesse which I looked at recently and is fairly close to me, but cannot make my mind up at the moment as they both have their good points. I have the guys number and its there waiting still as he's not in a rush to re advertise it.

Of all the motors I've owned the sterling was the smoothest and most comfortable, but perhaps I'll go for both as there is just enough room on the drive without the need for a divorce.

Time will tell. (the 800 that is) :shock:
Last edited by gyrobird on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: My Introduction

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:54 pm

Welcome Mike. You'll be lucky to find a Mk1 Sterling that isn't in need of restoring or depletes your bank balance quite heavily if not. You might have more luck finding a later Vitesse, there are 3 on ebay at the moment :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-Motorcyc ... er+vitesse

One somewhere in Wales, one in Bath and the coupé just down the road from you in Basildon.

If the Flame Red Vitesse you mention is owned by an enthusiast that has several other 800s then it is definitely worth considering as it has had a lot of time, attention and TLC lavished on it.

Depends what you want really, if you want smooth, comfortable power and a ride that won't send you to the osteopath then go for a Sterling. If you want raw power and a harder ride, go for a Vitesse.
Or........ if you can get away with it without divorce, both!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

gyrobird
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by gyrobird » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:56 pm

I've had both Dave, two a penny in London at the time.

I'm well aware of what I need to look for and what I would want in either guise.

Did you see that lovely silver one recently with 33000 miles ? can't remember the guy who was selling it

Stunning condition. had air conditioning too ! Only thing that put me off was it had Recaros instead of leather. I don't like sitting too low and the Recaros don't have the height for me.

The one I do have my eye on is just down the road from me in a town called Sudbury and I know the guy still has it under a cover.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:12 pm

I saw the silver one, seem to recall it ended up on the Isle of Wight and is owned now by a forum member.

That sounds very like the red one i was thinking of, certainly the right location. I know at one point last year he was either moving or thinking of moving.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:27 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:I saw the silver one, seem to recall it ended up on the Isle of Wight and is owned now by a forum member.

That sounds very like the red one i was thinking of, certainly the right location. I know at one point last year he was either moving or thinking of moving.
Yes, flame red. very clean condition with leather and air conditioning :wink: not quite as nice as that silver one but it is only just run in.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Does sound very much like the one i'm thinking of. A very knowledgeable owner too. :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:36 pm

Are we talking of someone who has recently "left" the forum.

Are you in the owners club, Mike?
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:41 pm

You're right Tom - certainly from the one i'm thinking of - right location, right colour and model of car. If it's the car i'm thinking of i'm surprised he's selling it but i know he was thinking of it last year.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:57 pm

From when he posted on here, it always seemed that he looked after his cars well. Should be a good one for you mike.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:38 am

He did indeed and if it's the one i'm thinking of it was more of a "treasured possession" than the rest of his fleet, all of which were cosseted as much as he could. A very knowledgeable and capable guy, particularly on 800s.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:47 am

I'd say we are talking about the same guy.

Not many about now so it must be.

What surprised me was the spares he had. I thought to my self, I know where to go if I need anything. if he's moving I suspect there may be another auction coming up for the spares.

There were two other 800's on his drive too, another metallic red Vitesse and an early Sterling, I had a look at the other Vitesse which also looked ok, nice and solid but no where near as good as the one he has for sale.

There was another early Vitesse out on the road which was his too. (who else :roll: )

I have relatives in Sudbury and so visit a bit more often now I am nearby, I've gone past recently and all his 800's are still there.

I'm not a member of any owners club,not fussed really. I don't own one for starters, Yet. :wink: Perhaps I could make a deal with this guy and buy everything as a ready made enthusiast package. 8) there's a few quids worth there. he told me he's got other 800's in other garages too !!!

What a loon. 8)

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:37 pm

gyrobird wrote:What a loon. 8)
That seems to go with being an 800 owner. :D
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:19 pm

traineefarmer wrote:
Serial and/or multiple ownership is also a certain sign! :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:52 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
traineefarmer wrote:
Serial and/or multiple ownership is also a certain sign! :wink: :lol: :D
Serial in my case and here I go again.

it could go multiple now i'm settled :lol:

i wonder how many of the 800's still out there are in the ownership of people that just treat them as their daily transport opposed to how many are actually in the ownership of an enthusiast.

90/10% split possibly ?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:06 pm

I'd say you're probably about right with the 90/10 split although i'd also suggest that of those that survive the balance is changing slowly but surely as the number of "bangernomics" type owners either sell them on if they consider "there is life in the old dog still" or scrap them as they don't. Sometimes if they are scrapped, a wise (or wily maybe!) scrapyard owner won't immediately issue a Certificate of Desctruction but list the car on ebay for an enthusiast to buy.

Those that don't change hands (or only change hands rarely) generally are already owned by enthusiasts who are loathe to sell them usually. However, in the past year i've bought and sold a very nice 827 SLi to save it from the crusher and am now breaking a 99 825 Si manual. The 825 was simply a question of economics after my coupé was hit just before xmas needing a new bumper to repair it and an already slightly scabby bonnet. It was already being broken but the seller wanted/needed it gone so the deal was done.

As such all the "better" cars which IMHO are any with the Honda or 2.0 Rover engines are now appreciating in value and are like hens teeth to find for sale. Although the KV6 has its followers, many prospective owners now steer clear because of the bad reputation this engine has. Yes if you get a good one they can do intergalactic mileage but the hard bit is finding a good one. If you get a bad one you may not get further than 1/4 mile on the test drive! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate