Car updates and my reappearence back to the scene!

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mark Rover
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Car updates and my reappearence back to the scene!

Post by Mark Rover » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Hi guys!
If anyone remembers, i'm the guy who was given a 1987 825 sterling saloon at 15 years of age and then a 1997 820 fastback at 16.
Things have changed recently and i decided today (on my 19th birthday) to come back onto the scene.
I was active in the scene for a while and then I dropped off for a while due to a few personal issues (family health issues, moving house, school work etc etc etc), but now i'm back! So heres a quick update for anyone who cares.
The sterling had to go nearly 2 years ago, it still breaks my heart but i had no other choice. The place it was stored was suddenly unavailable, and I didn't have the money to get it fixed. My father said that the body work repairs required alone would make most cars unviable for repair, but the rarity and emotional attachment made it worth a go, but I tried for ages in vain to source parts and got nowhere (my father had also been searching for an affordable gearbox for 14 years before he gave it to me) , so it had to be cubed. I saved every part i could, which includes every panel, the full interior, all the alloys, all the trim and basically anything that could be pried off the car! I still have the fastback and its future is brighter than ever. It looked for a while like i was going to have to get rid of it too, but luckily a surprise burst of luck (in the form of moving house) has meant that I can now keep it and finish its restoration.

So as far as the future is concerned, the new house im in has lots of dry space around it so the plan is to nab any cheap 800's/600's in Ireland and expand my knowledge and collection. I apologise to anyone who helped me in the past for disappearing on them (In particular verytallbrad who was the person who helped me the most), ill try not to let it happen again.

George Snr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Car updates and my reappearence back to the scene!

Post by George Snr » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi Mark,

Well, I care and welcome back and although I was not here back then I am now. Hope you enjoy your return.
George

Image]

Only 42 Rover 820 SLI left!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Mark Rover wrote:If anyone remembers, i'm the guy who was given a 1987 825 sterling saloon at 15 years of age and then a 1997 820 fastback at 16.
Lucky bugger.

I got a watch.

:wink:
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Mark Rover
Regular Visitor

Post by Mark Rover » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:37 pm

I like to think my good luck is actually just me cashing in all the positive karma ive made for myself XD

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:33 am

Welcome back Mark! Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the Sterling gearbox?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Mark Rover
Regular Visitor

Post by Mark Rover » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Dave, the reverse gear was broken badly, and the repairs would have cost 600-800 pound, which at the time was about 600-800 pound more than the car was worth...
If i had the space i would have kept it, but unfortunatly the person it was with got annoyed with it being on their property so i had to scrap it short notice

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:26 pm

That's a crying shame Mark!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Welcome back mate.

'Tis a shame about the 825 but well done on keeping as many bits as you could. Hen's teeth some of those parts.

Enjoy the 820 Fastback - I got mine at 19 too and still daily driving it now. I'm assuming it's a manual?

Get some pictures up when you have a chance - be nice to see!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B