Just got me a 1995 827Si

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
WilRace
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Just got me a 1995 827Si

Post by WilRace » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Hello everybody
Collected my "new" 1995 827Si today.I have previously owned a couple of P6 V8's but this is my debute in a front wheel drive Rover. Paid the equvivialent of £400ish for it.
Timming belt a´was changed about 2000 km's ago and the car runs very nicely thank you. Of course there are som minor problems with it since I have a nicely glowing SRS light, and after a short drive, (abut 1/4 mile) i get the PGM FI to as well... And of course the AC need topping up. But other than that everything is just fine and i look forward to a long relationship with the newish Rover...
BTW I live in the Stockholm area in Sweden so I might need some hints on very to get spares for the old gal...
If you never have seen one before there is a picture to be found here: https://db.tt/VBSiTuRB9F

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Just got me a 1995 827Si

Post by SJG » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Welcome, we have another Swedish member, manlishi, he is located just north of Stockholm.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:51 pm

Hello, welcome to the Forum, also take a look at the 800 Facebook page and www.rover800.org.uk

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Welcome aboard! Nice looking car! The PGM-Fi light coming on sounds as if you have a dodgy Lambda sensor. In the UK (with right hand drive) the PGM-Fi ECU is located under the drivers seat so i'm guessing this will be under your passenger seat. Switch the ignition on and look under the front of the seat - you should see the ECU and it will probably have a red LED flashing. There will likely be 1 flash then a pause or maybe 2 flashes then a pause - this points to your Lambda sensors. Maybe you'll have 1 flash, a pause then 2 flashes then a pause and back to 1 flash, pause, 2 flashes and so on. This indicates both.

However, it could simply be where the car hasn't been used much and the Lambdas have spiders in or a little corrosion or something. Try removing fuse "S" from the underbonnet fusebox for a few minutes then refitting and give it a test drive :

Make sure you have your radio code handy, some cars seem to have the radio memory on that fuse as well for some odd reason! Removing this fuse for a short time resets the PGM-Fi, EAT and ABS fault code memories and allows them to re-learn the car from "factory fresh". If the fault is the Lambda sensors then they will almost certainly show the PGM-Fi light again after a short journey. However if you do it when the engine is hot then it may not show up until the next cold start.

If the flashes are a different amount, please count them and let us know, we can go from there! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

WilRace

Post by WilRace » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll attempt to read the troubble codes and reset tha SRS light this weekend if my back is up to the task. I had lumbar surgery some time ago and I'm not fully recovered yet...
The car had new original lambda sensors fitted two years ago, but of course the harness might need refurbishing as well...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:24 pm

A hand-held shaving mirror works well if you have back trouble! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

WilRace

Post by WilRace » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:45 am

Checked the PGM FI codes today and I only have one as I understand it.
Got a long flash, followed by two short bursts. Should indicate 12 me thinks? I.E some sort of EGR malfunction
Correct me if I'm wrong, or just cheer me up!
Clearing the code did diddly-squat so I guess its time to apply som elbow grease...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:58 pm

One long followed quickly by two short does indeed indicate 12 as the fault code. To paraphrase what the Rover WSM says, faulty/disconnected or shorted EGR system (that would be the valve probably) so worth a check in that area. Could be it just needs unplugging and plugging back in again to clean the contacts or removing and soaking in penetrating fluid and moving about so it works again.
Never had a problem with mine as yet but from the things you've said i'd guess it's probably rusted up a bit and needs freeing off so it works again. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate