wanted: both anti roll bars

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jago
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

wanted: both anti roll bars

Post by jago » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:51 am

Hi all,

I am after a pair of antiroll bars. I don't mine what size/condidtion etc... I need them as a pattern so I can get a pair of bigger ones made.

if people want a price for a set i'll gladly get a batch made up

jago
Currently: 1995 mk2 sterling
missed but not forgotten: 1988 Rover 827 Si (13.835 @ 101.3mph)
Currently: 2003 Toyota celica Tsport VVTLI
previously:
more than a few cars

Cookster
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: wanted: both anti roll bars

Post by Cookster » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:16 am

There's a pair on a 1996 Vitesse Fastback that are likely to end up in the local scrappy in the next 2 weeks, unless some else takes on the head gasket job - see For Sale board for details!
Rgds Dave

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:24 am

I might have a pair available sometime in the near future, standard ones from my 95 coupe. An alternative to making up mahoosive ARBs would be to bolt 2 standard bars together - this was a favourite trick of tuners in the 60s and 70s and much cheaper to achieve. Also means it's easy to put back to standard if the need arises. :wink:

Metelmickey (Mike) had a 30mm rear bar made for his old 827 coupe, don't know if he ever got the front one made although he may still have access to the plans. He had to have a bespoke pair of bushes made for the thick bar, if memory serves they were machined from a block of Teflon. Seem to recall it cost about £140 just for the rear bar, whether that included the bushes or not i don't know.

Not sure how soon my ARBs will be available, a lot depends on the weather and a few other bits and pieces but hopefully before september.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

jago
Rover Guru

Post by jago » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:10 pm

I was thinking of 30-32 front and 25-27 rear, however I like the idea of two... I'll do some sums and see if it's worth it.

I have had 1 message about. Set but no reply since. I'm in no massive rush as I'm still getting used it it and making a list of jobs on the car. :)
Currently: 1995 mk2 sterling
missed but not forgotten: 1988 Rover 827 Si (13.835 @ 101.3mph)
Currently: 2003 Toyota celica Tsport VVTLI
previously:
more than a few cars

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:38 pm

mate, i have a standard pair of mk1 saloon ones, the skinny ones, just thinking though isn't 30 front 27 rear gonna be to thick, you will have no roll, but the body isn't that rigid and the tyres will let go surely.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:46 pm

midnite wrote:mate, i have a standard pair of mk1 saloon ones, the skinny ones, just thinking though isn't 30 front 27 rear gonna be to thick, you will have no roll, but the body isn't that rigid and the tyres will let go surely.

Eek! not the 19mm front and 14mm rear skinny ones??? Scary!

The tyres don't let go apparently, the back was near enough glued to the road on Mikes coupe with the 30mm rear bar. It's all about weight transfer - with the standard bars, the cornering forces allow the body to roll and take the weight being transferred as the car goes through the corner. With stiffer bars, the weight transfer has to go somewhere and it pushes the tyres harder onto the road so flatter cornering and more grip in one go - win-win situation! The trade off is it's slightly bumpier on the ride, but nowhere near as much as fitting shorter, stiffer springs and if the 800 has a shortcoming, it is in suspension travel or lack of, so shorter, stiffer springs generally aren't liked that much. They have their followers, sure, but most people prefer to "waft" along the road and round corners rather than have to visit a chiropractor after every journey!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Hmmmm.............Sport springs on your car and slightly weak Vitesse Mk1 springs on the trailer? Reckon that sounds an excellent solution! Less bounce from an empty trailer and better handling from the car, has to be a win-win situation!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate