gas shocks

Moderators: guru, SJG

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: gas shocks

Post by dollysprint » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Matt
I would seriously advise against welding a sealed shock absorber,especially a gas one.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

midnite
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by midnite » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:56 pm

yes afterwards i did think about that dave, i think i will just make a bracket that fits on the other side as to mount the brake hose.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:32 pm

The brackets for the brake hose don't need to support much. I would suggest grinding the welds off the bracket on the "wrong" one and suing a rubber-lined "P"clip for the brake hose instead, fitting the loop of the "P" clip round the base of the shock roughly where the bracket was welded on. Use a bolt and Nyloc nut to secure the brake pipe to the "P" clip - job done!

Much quicker, easier and safer than trying to weld a pressurised vessel! Basic laws of physics (Boyles Law i think it is) in simple terms says as the heat goes up, so does the pressure. There's a limit to the amount of pressure a shock absorber will take and with a weakened wall during welding, that will be considerably lower.Might be fun having oil spurting out under pressure through a hole where the bracket is meant to be welded on but when the heat from welding sets that oil alight and turns your shocker into a flame thrower it won't be so funny!

"During the war", flame throwers were used as effective weapons to dispatch the enemy. They doused the enemy with oil then ignitied the flame thrower which in turn set the oil on the victims alight. Not a nice death!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Mark827
Regular Visitor

Post by Mark827 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:36 pm

From my experience you can use the shock either side, the brake hose will still fit on the wrong side of the bracket and if needs be the bracket can be bent slightly.
Mark

'92 827 Coupe