gas shocks

Moderators: guru, SJG

midnite
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

gas shocks

Post by midnite » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:37 am

guys is there anywhere left that still has or can get gas shocks for the 800, eBay listings are out of date, and 2 suppliers have told me they no longer stock any kyb gas shocks at all.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

jago
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: gas shocks

Post by jago » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:50 am

I'm not sure, I had a quick look and there isn't much out there, KYB say discontinued for the gas versions.
GAZ don't list them, but they will recon I think... remember on wheeler dealers they did something for him.

might be worth looking at a group buy for a few sets, I know my rears are oil and could be stronger.. The front too..
Currently: 1995 mk2 sterling
missed but not forgotten: 1988 Rover 827 Si (13.835 @ 101.3mph)
Currently: 2003 Toyota celica Tsport VVTLI
previously:
more than a few cars

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:50 am

Motobuild still list them. But they will cost you many, many pounds.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:56 am

Try http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Rover ... rbers.aspx
for shocks if you're really stuck as they're oil shocks. I was told some time back the shocks on the 200/400 are the same as 800s, i've never checked this out but if that is the case then they should be easier to find.

Also http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Rover ... ab7&000925 list KYB gas shocks for the front but are currently out of stock.

However, Sutton Auto Factors list the KYB Excel-G gas twin tube front shocks at a sensible price and appear to have them in stock as well :

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/details/ROV ... -absorber/

Also shows they have oil shocks for about £8 less each side - pays yer money and takes yer choice!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:47 am

Monroe still list part numbers for the full 800 range, but only in their standard shock, which I presume is non gassed. Nice to know there is still a quality unit available out there.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:07 am

Is there a significant difference between oil and gas? I wasnt aware to be honest that the mk 1 was fitted with gas, presumably my mk 1 vitesse should have gas shocks.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:28 am

As far as i know, the gas shocks give a faster response and smoother return to "normal" position than the straight oil shocks. I've always been under the impression gas shocks still have oil in but a pressurised gas "cushion" as well. Personally i think it would be hard to tell the difference unless you drove your car firstly with new oil shocks and then with new gas shocks exactly the same way over exactly the same journey with the same potholes, lumps, bumps etc and then i think you'd have to be driving hard to notice the difference.

Just my opinion but to be honest, i've never knowingly driven two similar cars that had gas on one and oil on the other.

These two articles might help explain better :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_absorber

http://autorepair.answers.com/mechanica ... -absorbers

Like i said above, you pays yer money and takes yer choice. As far as i know, KYB were OE on the Honda Legend and some 800s, later 800s seemed to have AC Delco shocks, certainly on the rear but again, they could simply be rebranded KYB units. Another theory is the rears were Monroes. It could simply be ROver used whatever was available at the best price at the time or the preferred parts of the supplier they hadn't fallen out with. Damned Bean-Counters!!! :evil:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:41 pm

Gas shocks are more or less identical to "standard" types - they still use oil as the damping medium - but they are charged with low pressure nitrogen gas to prevent the oil from foaming under arduous usage, ie. track days, fast road driving, or on 4x4s, serious off roading.

You can tell the difference when fitting, because a gas shock forcibly (maybe a 50-100N force, it's been a while since i've handled one) extends itself when you remove the retaining cradle that they are normally shipped with. A normal shock doesn't do this or extends with only a fingertip force as they are sealed with atmospheric pressure air.

IMO under normal road driving you are unlikely to notice the difference between a good quality normal shock and a gas one. If you are a very keen fast driver or timing laps than maybe gas are worth the extra expense, but bear in mind that shocks were once reccomended to be changed every 25,000 miles so just putting fresh ones on will make a world of difference.

There is also a line of thought that says that gas shocks have a shorter effective life than standards as the top seal remains unlubricated under normal conditions eventually allowing the gas to prematurely escape loosing any advantage they may originally have had.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:18 pm

Lots of useful information there Tom - thanks! I wonder how we'll all get on when any parts at all are hard to get hold of. Doesn't bear thinking about really.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:01 am

I suppose we'll have to go down the refurb route like the "serious" classic and vintage boys do.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:15 am

Sounds painful on the wallet! :shock: Might have to start stock-piling i think!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:20 pm

right guys i bought 2 left hand unipart rear gas shocks off eBay, only way to get gas I'm afraid, I'm going to get the brake hose mount cut of and rewelded on one of them so i will have a pair, i bought some boge fronts off a guy on eBay, they were gas, turned up, they were oil, sent back refunded, bought some kyb last week, got informed out of stock, would i take monroe, yes i said as long as they are gas not oil, yes yes, turned up they were oil, being sent back this week, both good sellers though so can't fault them, but no one holds stock, they get it sent from some where else me thinks.

i have emailed motobuild about there gas shocks, i know the kit is expensive, i asked if he could do a front pair only, he said yes as long as he can still get them from who he gets them from, which i think is a 50/50, but probably won't have any i reckon, but wait and see.

this is frustrating as the 800 only went out in 99 and you'd think there would be plenty of gas shocks lying around.
fleet now includes

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:15 pm

midnite wrote:this is frustrating as the 800 only went out in 99 and you'd think there would be plenty of gas shocks lying around.

There are plenty available for much older cars. Must be because the 800 does not have a "performance" image and because most owners are always looking for a budget rather than quality fix.

As for the "gas shocks that were not" that you have previously ordered, are you certain that they were not just old stock that has lost their charge with age?
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:22 pm

no tom they were current stock, non said gas on the box, and when you shook them you could hear the oil sloshing around.
fleet now includes

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:29 pm

midnite wrote:when you shook them you could hear the oil sloshing around.
Gas shocks will do this too. The identifier is the extension force.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5