This damp weather has caused problems with my knob.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

This damp weather has caused problems with my knob.

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Er, gearknob I mean.

The leather has started peeling off the plastic buck. The stitching seems to just be decorative!

I can just glue it back for now, but it has looked a bit tatty for some time so I was hoping that someone might have a good one they would let me have in exchange for some drinks vouchers. :D

If any of you have any good suggestions for alternative fitments, please let me know.

Cheers in advance, Tom.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: This damp weather has caused problems with my knob.

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:38 am

Have a look on page 1 of this thread Tom :

http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13547

The gearknob is in the 4th and 6th pics and looks leatherbound but i can check later. Any good to you?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Great stuff, Dave!

I just had a look and it's different to mine, but Rimmers catalogue seems to say that there was only ever one style of knob fitted to all late manuals and so I must assume that mine has had an aftermarket one fitted at some point. I can just add it to the list of things that were buggered about with by previous owners.

It would also explain why it has fallen to pieces and has never felt very nice to use.

So yes, I would like the one in the pics. Do you have it or should I make contact with championdaddy?
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:26 pm

'Scuse me for butting in, but I think the standard 800 gear knob is textured plastic, looks OK though and prob better than a falling apart after market part.

If I remember correctly, I think the 216 Vitesse (I had one) had a leather stitched gear knob, and I'm 99% that it was the same size and fitting as an 800 knob.

Maybe worth looking for one of those?
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:35 pm

traineefarmer wrote:Great stuff, Dave!

I just had a look and it's different to mine, but Rimmers catalogue seems to say that there was only ever one style of knob fitted to all late manuals and so I must assume that mine has had an aftermarket one fitted at some point. I can just add it to the list of things that were buggered about with by previous owners.

It would also explain why it has fallen to pieces and has never felt very nice to use.

So yes, I would like the one in the pics. Do you have it or should I make contact with championdaddy?
You have a PM Tom! :wink: :lol:
mjc9967 wrote:'Scuse me for butting in, but I think the standard 800 gear knob is textured plastic, looks OK though and prob better than a falling apart after market part.

If I remember correctly, I think the 216 Vitesse (I had one) had a leather stitched gear knob, and I'm 99% that it was the same size and fitting as an 800 knob.

Maybe worth looking for one of those?
Pretty sure you're right Mark but i'm 99% certain this one stitched leather and low mileage too so should hopefully last well for Tom.

You're right about the 216 Vitesse (and i belive 216 VDP as well) as i plundered one for a new knob for my old Ballade EXi (Hondas version of the 213/216 with the 12 Valve, 1493cc PGM-Fi engine that kicked out 100BHP) as i had the then standard across the range, round, plastic effort with the insert denoting the shift gate/pattern. That was a straight swap so would seem reasonable to assume you're right. If not, knowing Toms capabilities he could easily make a threaded adaptor or whatever is needed.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:38 pm

The plastic ones were pre 96, leather post 96 as I remember?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:29 pm

As an update to this, I thought a boxing day afternoon would be a good time to have a go at tidying up my peeling knob.

On peeling back some more of the leather to clean up before gluing, I got a better look at the plastic buck beneath. And guess what, it's not a buck but the textured plastic knob from the older models!

So for now I have removed the leather covering and remnants of glue and I now have a moulded knob that doesn't look at all out of place, is nice to use and has easy to read gate markings.

I really shouldn't be surprised by Rover's cost cutting these days, but this made me smile.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:03 pm

In that case Tom, get yourself some leather to match your interior, a chunk of wood (mahogany, burr walnut, sapele or whatever you like the look of), drill a hole in it and tap a thread to screw it onto your gear lever, stick it in the lathe and make yourelf a nice wood and leather knob! You should know where the gears are :wink: :lol: by now, so no need for gate markings!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:04 am

The thing is though, I really like the plastic one. It just feels more comfortable in my hand.

I've made turned alloy knobs for previous cars, but that would look really out of place in the coupe. I like your suggestion, but me and non-metallic materials simply don't get along.

For now I'll stick with this one and keep my ear to the ground for a good leather clad in the future.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:40 am

Fair enough - probably no point steering you to the inspiration for my comment then :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121847461770? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I'm not much good with non-metallic stuff either so totally understand where you're coming from on that score.

I know some of the later 25/45 models had leather clad gear knobs and i'm fairly sure they'll fit the 800 gear stick. Some were the "hockey stick" version like on the 800, others were the more "retro" shape like this one :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-ROVER ... Swu-BWQOGm

Can't make my mind up whether that would "fit in" in an 800 cabin or would just look out of place?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:27 pm

That wooden one looks ace!!

I was looking at the "pheonix era" knobs and came to the conclusion that much like the cars that were produced at those times, the cost cutting is a bit too clearly on display.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:09 pm

Thought you might like the wooden one - hence the inspiration for my comment!

With you on the "Pheonix Era"cost cutting, some of it was good, some bad. For example, on the K-series 4 cyl and V6, the same camshaft sensor was eventually used with a patch lead for the V6 to increase the length of the standard loom to reach the front bank camshaft.
Prior to that two separate sensors were used, one costing more than the other because it had a longer lead. Other than that they were identical. The newer set up with just the one sensor for both types of engine makes much more sense and becomes cheaper.

Other cost cutting like interior trim being flimsy etc - yuck!!!

As for those plastic headlamp lenses :shock: :roll:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate