Rear Bumper Side Clips

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Barnacle-Bill
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rear Bumper Side Clips

Post by Barnacle-Bill » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:12 pm

I recently had to get a rear bumper after some useless git did a hit and run on me, but when the bumpers were changed over, the buy found the side clip was broken, and the bumper is not sitting right, so....

Anyone got a set of rear bumper side clips, or know where I might find a set, if I'm changing one side, I'm as well changing the other side, any help would be much appreciated
Fred
Rover 800i Fastback

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Rear Bumper Side Clips

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Fred - they're like gold dust! :shock: Most people have made their own replacements :

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10466

Perhaps if you printed the relevant parts of that thread and showed it to the guy who is fitting your bumper he can come up with something.

Good luck with it!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Andrewg11rover
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Andrewg11rover » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:12 pm

I've replaced three of mine so far using the box steel method. I'll have to do the fourth soon... An hour's work each with a hacksaw, file and a paintbrush, and quite satisfying! To be honest the Mark 2 brackets are a terrible design; thin plastic-coated steel that is guaranteed to rust in no time. The box steel approach is actually better. I'm told the Mark 1 brackets are better because they're just plastic - but I've never seen any for sale, not at a reasonable price any way.

I found I had to insert a couple of small washers between the wing and the bracket so that that the bumper lined up perfectly. It's quite easy to faff about until it's just right before you ram the plastic peg into the bracket that holds the bumper steady.

Good luck! Old cars - don't you just love 'em?

A

Barnacle-Bill
Regular Visitor

Post by Barnacle-Bill » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm going to speak to the guy that fitted the replacement bumper, and I'll ask him if he can actually show me what I need, it might have made a bit of sense to do that in the first place, but once I've spoken to him, hopefully I can then ask for the correct bits I need, thanks
Fred
Rover 800i Fastback

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:23 pm

this is the item in question

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-DPL10022

they are the same for the front and rear bumpers... regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..