Radiator hoses 1992 Rover 827 Coupe

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
soundrediscover
Regular Visitor

Radiator hoses 1992 Rover 827 Coupe

Post by soundrediscover » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:27 pm

Not sure if I have posted this previously....
I have never been happy with the cooling system repair work since the original and expansion tank both went in 2012.
I have a pinhole leak in the top hose (patched for now) and the bottom hose is also seeping and looks toward the end of it's life.
Can anybody confirm part codes and potential sources or even if it is worth getting some sillicon ones made up?
Many thanks
Rock On!

Ian

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Radiator hoses 1992 Rover 827 Coupe

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:05 pm

Last time i checked Ian Rimmers had a few left but they were £OUCH-OUCH!!! especially for the A/C equipped top hose.

Best bet for a pin-hole leak would be to cut the hose where the leak is and fit a plastic (or metal) hose joiner available from most factors.

Have you got the Volvo expansion tank conversion? I saw a lovely little mod for the bracket on Toms (traineefarmer) Vitesse coupé. He had liberated the Volvo bracket from a Volvo (only achievable with a disc cutter or similar) and welded it onto a backing plate with holes drilled to match the Rover OE fixing points to mount the tank as if the factory put it there. It could of course be pop-riveted if you don't have a welder.
Tom was lucky in that he had a Volvo he could mutilate to get the bracket. While they are available from Volvo parts stores, it seems they're only available in the USA, i keep meaning to ring Volvo and see if they can supply them here although i suspect they'd be cheaper bought in bulk from the states at about $10 each.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:49 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Last time i checked Ian Rimmers had a few left but they were £OUCH-OUCH!!! especially for the A/C equipped top hose.

Best bet for a pin-hole leak would be to cut the hose where the leak is and fit a plastic (or metal) hose joiner available from most factors.

Have you got the Volvo expansion tank conversion? I saw a lovely little mod for the bracket on Toms (traineefarmer) Vitesse coupé. He had liberated the Volvo bracket from a Volvo (only achievable with a disc cutter or similar) and welded it onto a backing plate with holes drilled to match the Rover OE fixing points to mount the tank as if the factory put it there. It could of course be pop-riveted if you don't have a welder.
Tom was lucky in that he had a Volvo he could mutilate to get the bracket. While they are available from Volvo parts stores, it seems they're only available in the USA, i keep meaning to ring Volvo and see if they can supply them here although i suspect they'd be cheaper bought in bulk from the states at about $10 each.
The bracket in question is only spot welded to the volvo's engine bay. I actually chopped mine out with a cold chisel!
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:24 pm

That's cheating Tom! :lol: That cold chisel gets used a lot! :wink: :lol:

I suppose the spot-welds could also be drilled out as well, food for thought! That means the holes for pop-rivets would be there from the off as it were. Or it could be plug welded to the backing plate.
Think i might have to take a trip to Beck Row some time soon. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:58 am

Precision engineering using a big hammer and a cold chisel! :lol:

Reminds me of a tale told by a retired aerospace engineer, I can't remember who he worked for - fairly sure it was one of the many small pre-war aeroplane manufacturers that got absorbed into BA eventually. On his first day of work, he and a number of other "green" apprentices were handed a rough shaped piece of cast iron, a file and a set square and told to make it into a perfect cube by the end of the day!

I think it would have been easier to be asked to fetch some tartan paint. :D

The volvo engine bay is pretty cramped, I don't think you would be able to drill all the welds out unless you had a right angle drill.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:34 pm

Tartan paint or a long weight (wait)! :lol:

Which Volvo engine bay are you referring to Tom? The ones i've seen (S/V40 and 60) seem to have reasonable access to the bracket but i might be mis-remembering things.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:07 pm

This was on a V70 '97 model. The expansion bottle is behind the engine ECU box and not far from the engine front cover.

Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:59 pm

I'm fairly sure the one i saw didn't have the ECU box there Tom, think it was an S40 but given it's location (in the scrapyard!) there's every possibility someone had removed bits before i saw it.

I'll have to pull my finger out and phone Volvo tomorrow (or sometime soon!) and see if they can get the brackets in this country. Presumably people still have accidents here and the suspension turrets and hence expansion tank brackets need replacing at some point so i don't see why not!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Cut my Volvo mount out. Looks OE :)
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.