KV6 Water Pump

Moderators: guru, SJG

mjc9967
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: KV6 Water Pump

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:02 am

...actually it seems, no... from just 2 weeks ago!

http://www.carnewschina.com/2016/11/10/ ... ally-dead/
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:23 am

I forgot about the Chinese! I know SAIC are still making the MG-6 which i think is the "new and more normal" name for the Roewe 750 with panel gaps you could hide a bus (or a family of illegal immigrunts in) but i don't think there's a KV6 anywhere in sight.

I suspect the 75 engine probably won't fit an 800 without serious modifications to mouting holes/flanges etc and you'd also have to drill and tap the sump for a drain plug so you could change the oil! :shock: :roll: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

mjc9967
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:59 am

I thought their R75/Roewe750 (Nanjing) was the MG7 (SAIC). Anyway according to the article linked above SAIC have now stopped making both (there was a forced merger between the two, and they kept making both).

I just wished they had licenced out the right to make more aftermarket Rover parts when the leftover rump of Rover was divided up between them. As far as I know that is the main reason a lot of stuff we need is not out there any more, and we are left scratching around for dwindling original stock and hoping for crossover parts from other makes and models.

I suppose they fear a low cost car maker using all the tooling from older models and coming up with a new car that will compete strongly against them. This is what Kia do apparently - their massive development cost savings allow them to produce very cheap cars that largely originate from good legacy car maker engineering and design. When Kia used the 825's KV6 they didn't just buy engines from Rover, they bought the whole KV6 setup - tooling, licencing, the lot - and made it themselves. It seems BMW had finished with this exact version of the engine (and so disposed of it) and had developed it's own version which went into 75's, hence the mismatching of some parts...

I cannot think of another car model where the demise of the company was handled so disadvantageously for existing owners to access parts. It would have to be the only car range I ever really liked wouldn't it!
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:56 am

Have to confess Mark, i'd not heard of the MG-7 but it seems there is so in much in-fighting and back-biting in SAIC (and the company they bought) that it's a miracle they ever managed to produce any cars at all!

Reading between the lines it also seems there's absolutely zero spares back up, not just for the older models (original 75) but also for the newer ones.

Rock and hard place come to mind! :shock: :roll: :(
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:34 pm

mjc9967 wrote:Maybe the thing to do is re engine my Mk2 with a whole system transplant from a R75 2.5L - that'll future proof it!

Re parts unavailabilty, I blame the Chinese. They bought all sorts of stuff (tooling and licences) for previous models they were never going to use and prevented anyone else being able to produce aftermarket. Are they still making the "Roewe 750"?
I've wondered for a while if the mk2 KV6 could be fitted to an 800. The one to go for would be from an MG ZS as these had a PG1 gearbox, which would save driveshaft and gear linkage headaches. Just transfer over sensors, management system and maybe the inlet manifiold and exhaust. T-series are a common swap into the ZS so engine mounts should be adaptable too.

The KV6 or a version of it has only just finished production in China with the last of the 75 based 750s. New one will apparently be GM based.

I dread to think what the palaver of getting parts for one would be like, given the horror stories I have heard from people trying to get bits for the handful of SAIC MGs that have been sold over here.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:39 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:As far as i'm aware, the "new" Mini was already in near production states of the project at the time of the takeover, hence the early ones (as they are now) being R50 designation, R being for Rover of course. Like you say, if Rover hadn't been sold and had the Mini themselves, it might well have been BMW that went to the wall in 2005 instead of Rover.
What really annoys me is that despite the name, BAe was part owned by the French at the time and i know for a fact that a lot of motoring journalists were given Peugeot and Citroen cars on "long term/indefinite loan", especially those that praised them to the highest and slagged Rover off something rotten.
Production facilities were complete and ready to run at Longbridge when BMW bottled it. Even to the point where some cars had been sent down the line for production testing. Huge chunks of longbridge had been demolished to make way for future expansion of the MINI range and this was a huge problem for Pheonix when they took over as about 1/4 of the factory complex was a half finished building site. There's an interesting essay about this on austinmemories.com
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5