American parts

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

American parts

Post by rovercoup » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:44 pm

I am in the process of ordering some parts from sterling fixer in the states if the prices are ok and thought that it would be an opportunity to group purchase so we can all save on shipping costs.

If anyone is in need of a part NLA here check with sterling fixer for part cost. Rather than lots of invoices floating around I thought that we could do it all on one invoice so a transfer of the amount to myself with an equal share in the shipping cost.

Any thoughts anyone? I would be looking to place, confirm the order in around 7-10 days hopefully allowing most chance to check and obtain a price.

If I hear nothing concrete or agreed payment transfer then I will go ahead and just get my own parts.

Once parts are here in the UK we can either meet up at agreed time/place or send the parts on via local couriers or royal mail.

Good or bad idea??
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: American parts

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:24 am

Great idea, but I imagine there will be more suit Mk1 and 2.7 owners than Mk2 and 2.0.

If they are available, front upper wishbone bush sets and rear suspension bush sets would be my request.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Very true Tom and thanks for the offer Steve! I'd be interested in some XHM463 timing belt tensioner springs but he appears to only have 2 and no price.

Tom - rockauto have the early Honda Legend upper wishbone assemblies in stock for sensible $ which should be a direct fit if Sterlingfixer doesn't have them. I'm still "working" on my replacement bearings for them but haven't got very far yet! :roll:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:15 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Very true Tom and thanks for the offer Steve! I'd be interested in some XHM463 timing belt tensioner springs but he appears to only have 2 and no price.

Tom - rockauto have the early Honda Legend upper wishbone assemblies in stock for sensible $ which should be a direct fit if Sterlingfixer doesn't have them. I'm still "working" on my replacement bearings for them but haven't got very far yet! :roll:
My hastily made nyltron ones are holding up well TBH. The grease nipple I fitted at the same time probably helps. :D
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

ImSmarticus

Post by ImSmarticus » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:13 pm

One note of experience. They like to make import fees up on car parts. Used to have parts reguarly sent over for Hondas. I had three clutches sent in 4 months and the fees varied from 12 GBP to 40 with no apparent pattern. Everything else seemed just as random.
Danny
1998 Rover 820 Sterling Coupe - Oxford Blue
2015 Ford Focus 1.5 TDCI Zetec S - Moondust Silver
Should The Lord Have Commissioned Gordon Sked to Design The Human? Discuss

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:45 pm

I've heard this happens but not experienced it myself. I've also heard it varies on the perceived value of the goods inside which obviously will vary with who is assessing it for import duty. Then there are other parts they don't even bother to assess because they are relatively light so are assumed to have little or no value.

Also heard that if several packages come through in succession they view it as someone operating an "under the counter" import business and charge duty accordingly.

Whether all or any of these views have any truth in them i really don't know as i've also heard if it's under a certain value they don't assess it, assuming the value is shown on the outside of the package. Once above a certain value then it's a percentage of the amount above that value - again, right or wrong i don't know.

What i do know is that as the parts are generally that much cheaper, even with the "Shipping & Handling", unless someone was extremely unlucky it is still cheaper than buying the same item in the uk, if said item is still available.

Bottom line is regardless of all else, the import duty is a bit of a gamble but if you're only buying the odd thing here and there, generally they seem to leave you alone, unless you're importing a solid gold engine block or something silly.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:01 pm

When I rebuilt the Ford Ranger 2.3 engine for my brother I had to order engine internals from the States, piston rings in one parcel, pistons in another. The import duty on the rings was £18 if memory serves, the pistons were £9. They were an 1/8th of the weight, about a 1/4 of the value and twice the import tax! Think someone in customs rolls a dice because there really is no logic to it :roll:

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:27 am

When I've bought parts and goods from the US and other countries I've always had a tax quote before placing the order. The seller should be able to do this for you.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:02 pm

steve, get the guy to write scrap parts no market value, then the customs don't tax it, and its not like the guy would be lying is it, on a more serious not, i wouldn't mind the american spec rear number plate reflector panel, as then i can fit a small number plate.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Good idea matt but sorry mate already placed the order, I had left it longer than planned but guess your still up to your neck .

Next time will bear you in mind. hope to catch up at POL if weather is good and you can make it.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:10 pm

will try steve, the 827 is still motd taxed n insured, needs front caliper unseizing, but will be there hopefully oh yay.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i