Koni front shocks and potenially lowering srpings

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
austinpowers
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Koni front shocks and potenially lowering srpings

Post by austinpowers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:43 am

Hi all, i'm after a pair of front Koni shocks, lowering springs all round as well but not as important as the shocks.
TIA. :)
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Koni front shocks and potenially lowering srpings

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Good luck finding a pair of front konis Andy - i seem to recall Dusan (Alucard7002) had a pair of front Konis, don't know what became of them though.

I've heard you can still get lowering springs from Moto-Build and they're still listed on their website under suspension upgrades for £172 delivered :

http://www.moto-build.com/

They may even be able to help with the Konis as well. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

austinpowers
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by austinpowers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Yeah, i used to buy from moto build many moons ago, but they're on the pricey side, i've bought a pair of rear Konis on eBay the other day, so would be nice to have a complete set if decide to use them.

Acura legend forums list a few different options, even Accord coilovers.

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:38 am

What remains of the Konis are still on my 820 at the moment, along with the 40-50mm lowering springs plus spacers.

They are completely worn out and a rebuild costs more than the new replacements.

I have a full set of KYB ones to go on now instead. Just have to find the time to fit them and a proper spacer.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:06 am

Alucard7002 wrote:What remains of the Konis are still on my 820 at the moment, along with the 40-50mm lowering springs plus spacers.

They are completely worn out and a rebuild costs more than the new replacements.

I have a full set of KYB ones to go on now instead. Just have to find the time to fit them and a proper spacer.
You know where my hydraulic coil spring compressor is if you'd like to borrow it. Would it not be easier to go back to standrd length springs instead of trying to find/make a spacer?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

austinpowers
Regular Visitor

Post by austinpowers » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:46 pm

Alucard7002 wrote:What remains of the Konis are still on my 820 at the moment, along with the 40-50mm lowering springs plus spacers.

Can new Konis be sourced?

What will you do with your old Konis?

Dave - Hydraulic spring compressor!! Sounds fancy :D

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:32 am

austinpowers wrote:
Nah, just sounds safer Andy! I have some of the basic spring compressors too but the jaws won't fit onto the Rover strut and although they would fit the Volvo strut (only just though!) not only did they struggle but there were a few "botty-clenching moments" when i tried them.

Not only did i not fancy wearing a coil spring in strange parts of my anatomy but can just imagine a spring launching itself skyward at a rate of knots and causing an international incident as the USAF launched several F-15s to "intercept and neutralise" the latest UFO to visit my neck of the woods! :shock: :wink: :lol:

As such i scoured fleabay for a secondhand one. There were a few around at the time, most in or around Birmingham and two more in London. One of those started at 99p, the other started at £50. The 99p start one had loads of bids and went to about £70-80 on the day i collected the other one for the winning and starting bid. Can't remember how much the 99p start jobby finished for but it was over the £70-80 it had been! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:33 pm

austinpowers wrote:

No idea on sourcing new Koni Reds. Stopped making them long ago.

If we got enough interest on the forum for a set of double adjustable shocks for £100 notes a corner then I'd be game for that. Not sure anywhere would make adjustable shocks for less than that.

The old ones are beyond rebuild so they'll be scrapped. The housing has rusted away to the point that the front right has lost all the oil. No way to rebuild them when they are that far gone.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:51 pm

Alucard7002 wrote:
austinpowers wrote:

No idea on sourcing new Koni Reds. Stopped making them long ago.

If we got enough interest on the forum for a set of double adjustable shocks for £100 notes a corner then I'd be game for that. Not sure anywhere would make adjustable shocks for less than that.

The old ones are beyond rebuild so they'll be scrapped. The housing has rusted away to the point that the front right has lost all the oil. No way to rebuild them when they are that far gone.
I think he's found some :

http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 69#p144069

It's about 4th/5th post up from the bottom of that page. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate