Urgent Help please folks! New Turbo needed ASAP

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Urgent Help please folks! New Turbo needed ASAP

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi all,

I'm typing this while waiting for the recovery truck on the M55.... :lol:

Yup, the Vitesse's turbo let go on me spewing oil and smoke everywhere. :(

I'll be needing a replacement one, really don't care about age or condition as long as it's serviceable.

Can anyone help me out? Please :oops:

Thanks in advance.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Urgent Help please folks! New Turbo needed ASAP

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:02 am

James Bond stylee-smoke-screen behind you? Oops!

You should have my email by now, looks like it will be Plan A as discussed on the phone, Plan B (the new core) does NOT look viable!!!

Speak soon! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:37 am

I've got a box full of T25 turbo bits, Dusan. Left over from when I made one good one from 4 bad ones. If you are going down the rebuild route and need a specific part, I may be able to help.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks for the offer Tom, if I could pester you to PM me your mobile number I may want to pick your brains next week regarding putting bits back together - I've never had a turbo T-Series before.

HOWEVER.

Good news!

Bodge of the century has seen me mobile again!

Step 1 - Dig in the boot in the box of 800 spares I happened to be carrying.
Step 2 - Find a T-Series knock sensor
Step 3 - Undo the oil feed to the turbo and screw the knock sensor into the oil feed line to the turbo
Step 4 - Jam a scrap screwdriver into the compressor wheel and cable tie it in place to stop the turbo from spinning
Step 5 - bit of cloth over the outlet of the turbo to stop any oil spattering up onto the manifold and smoking
Step 6 - Remove and clean the spark plugs by use of plumbers blowlamp!
Step 7 - Reassemble Johnny 5, fill with oil, nurse it back!

ImageImageImage

Much lols but seems to work well enough, got to be very easy on the loud pedal else it will bog down due to overfuelling expecting boost.

Also have to take it easy to not melt the exhaust turbine.

Smokes like its 1975 and still misfiring. The plugs are shot so I'll go back via a Halfords and pop a new set of plugs in.

Place your bets now on how far I'll get to home - I've got over 400 miles to cover :shock:

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:46 pm

It's probably the restriction from the jammed turbine that's bogging you down. You shouldn't be getting extra fuel until the ECU senses boost.

I'll PM you my number, glad to offer any help I can.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Don't think so as if you go WOT at low RPM it bogs big time. Go easy and feather the throttle in as you're accelerating and it's fine.

Appreciate it mate, thanks!

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Alucard7002 wrote:Don't think so as if you go WOT at low RPM it bogs big time. Go easy and feather the throttle in as you're accelerating and it's fine.
I see what you mean there. Maybe for sudden throttle changes MEMS follows a pre-programmed map rather than relying on "live" information from sensors.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Something in the back of my mind (not that i know MEMS all that well) is saying that when you go WOT, it throws in extra fuel without checking the Lambda sensor which may well be contaminated with 10W40 by now!

The situation may improve as the oil gets burnt off the Lambda, glad to see the bodge i used on my old MG Montego works on a T-Series Turbo as well! :wink: :lol: :D

The big difference on that was it was a carb-fed engine so reacted directly to the airflow into the engine rather than "calculating" it through a map.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!