Wanted MK2 fastback non sunroof roof. D Shaft Window reg +

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
820Vitesse
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wanted MK2 fastback non sunroof roof. D Shaft Window reg +

Post by 820Vitesse » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:23 pm

I dont remember seeing any but were there any 5 door fastback Mk2's without a sunroof?
I am considering replacing the roof panel, I am fed up with leaks and constant maintenance required of the perspex panel. The latest bodge/fix is black dome head bolts holding it down, it looks terrible and still leaks.
So if it is possible to get another roof, with no dents, it is not to far, not expensive and I can figure a way to get it home (on the roof I know) I will swap the panel.
The car is not being used this year so ideal time to do the work.
Thanks
Jim
Last edited by 820Vitesse on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Re: Is anyone breaking a MK2 fastback without a sunroof?

Post by BlueRover » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:00 pm

I had a base spec 800 fastback with no sunroof, yes they did exist, but sadly she went to the scrappers after she was clamped by the DVLA for no tax as I was trying to get a couple of small jobs done to MOT her. Shame really as she was on her 303,000 mile mark and had full service history and the emissions were 0% at every MOT. I think they were pretty rare though, perhaps there are none left. Have you considered getting a steel panel made up and having it lead soldered into place, I doubt it would leak again.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by 820Vitesse » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks for the info Gordon, I suspected it is a rare thing. Rimmers have a part number but no stock.
I wanted to avoid fitting a metal insert panel then all the flatting work involved, I doubt you would ever get it so it is not obvious, especially at eye level.
But might have to go that route.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Many moons ago when i was just a young pup Jim, a friend rolled his mums Mini.

The bodyshop managed to straighten most of the roof out but the actual panel itself still had some imperfections, scrapes and scratches that couldn't be covered without a full respray so they fitted a vinyl roof to hide the imperfections.

As it was a "pocket job" (TPFT insurance) it was done as cheaply as possible and the vinyl roof was about £100-150 fitted and hid everything.

Many people think vinyl roofs are "old hat" now but i've heard they're making a comeback and even if they're not, given the amount of cars with different coloured roofs these days it's not going to look wildly out of place, especially on a Rover as many of them over the decades have had them.

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... -roof-look

Only a suggestion but the final paragraph of the website linked to above sums it up nicely :

"If it’s good enough for the President of the USA…

Actually, a vinyl roof has a practical benefit when it comes to stretched limos, seamlessly hiding any weld marks from the outside world. Not to mention that added touch of class, of course."

:wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:44 pm

I wish you had not done that, I dismissed the idea immediately, vinyl roofs on 90's cars cannot work but then looked at your link and got all sorts of colour ideas going through my head now.
Also saves a full respray. I came to the conclusion just the roof panel in black vinyl would look best, not on any of the pillars, this could work.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:51 pm

Funny you should say all of that as that's exactly the thought process i went through some years back when someone suggested putting a black vinyl roof on my Sterling. At the time i still dismissed the idea but now the lacquer is beginning to pee in the middle of the roof like so many other 800s, i think it would be a cost-effective way of covering the roof and hiding the lacquer peel without a full respray.

Again i came to the same conclusion - just the centre of the roof, not the pillars.. Probably get away with the C pillar on the Coupé models and maybe even the saloon but not the Fastbacks

Matt black (or maybe even Satin Black) on yours would be my choice, would give a nice contrast to the BRG without being an obviously different colour at first glance. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 am

Top right, "Classic Leyland grain in black" would be the natural choice for mine. Range of colours down the page for your Sterling.

http://www.littleportboathaven.co.uk/ca ... 20kits.htm

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:41 am

Nice find Jim! The Leyland Black would be my natural choice for my Sterling although the "Biscuit" could also be a good choice.
Might pop over and have a look at what they've got, bought the occasional bits from them in the past but didn't know they did vinyl roof stuff. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Vinyl roofs belong in the 1970s
Or on 70s motors
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:20 pm

If you go through the "20 Cars that rock the vinyl roof look" Dean you'll see a few "moderns" including the Rolls-Royce Phantom. All depends on the cars, colour and personal taste but as i said before, there are so many cars around these days with different colour roofs anything goes! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate