Wanted: MK1 "Half size" trip computer

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
decalservice
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wanted: MK1 "Half size" trip computer

Post by decalservice » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:42 pm

Hey folks,

My trip computer in my 1991 Sterling (USA) is on the fritz. It is one of the half-size, slim models, not the earlier large one with the tons of buttons (Which I prefer... I thought it gives it that 80's futuristic look)

I live in the USA, so I would love if someone was willing to ship a nice, clean one. I can pay with PayPal, Bitcoin, Litecoin, whatever.

Best regards!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Wanted: MK1 "Half size" trip computer

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Good luck finding one Rod! They've been like hens dentists over here for a couple of decades now, you might be lucky and i hope you are but it might be easier to get your existing one repaired.

What is the actual problem with it?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

decalservice
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by decalservice » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:28 pm

Dave, To be honest, as much as I would love to keep the car "original", I think I'm going to just tuck the computer box behind the dash so it can control the pass-thru for the lighting system behind the scenes. I'll instead install a double-din nav system or something... unsure yet. My old sterling had a Pioneer tape deck, along with a deq-9500 equalizer where the ash tray used to be. It still had the stock, full size computer too.

I'll make one attempt to fix the computer issues and perhaps find a company that could repair the LCD if it comes down to it, but I won't really miss the slim compy TOO much... now, if it was the full size jobber, I think I would try harder to fix it. The slim one just isn't that appealing to me for some reason. Small price to pay to have a last-year model 827sli in the states. I think this is the only 1991 SLi that I've ever seen come up for sale in the last 10 years. Again, small price to pay and I have to accept the niggles since the only other choice is to import a (probably) rusty MK1 from the UK, pay a cool $3k in shipping, and then learn again how to drive on the wrong (right?) side lol.

I hate to butcher the interior, but if originality helped the car retain it's value, then I'd think twice. As it stands right now, the car is worth $4,000 on a good day, tops. I've already spent well into the $5's on it, total. I might as well make it how I like it.

Getting the car repainted soon - planning on removing the old Sterling badges and filling the holes, then replacing with the old metal SD1 Rover badge on bonnet and boot.... that old badge looks very art-deco and very cool! Will be rebadging it to Rover all around including wheel caps. Have already sourced all the parts needed from ebay UK

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:23 pm

All good ideas there Rod, couple more to add into the mix :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-Universa ... SwYS9ZaZ5U

http://www.in-car-stuff.com/shop/sniper ... a057632210

The drawer/drinks holder could replace the slim trip and the head unit would go where the errrr......... head unit is! :P

Just a couple of thoughts to maybe give you a couple of ideas instead of going down the double-DIN stereo route and gaining cup holders.

I've got a different cupholder to fit in mine, push the flap in front of it and it slides out automatically. Planning on hiding it behind the wood but that means turning the panel below the radio upside down. Worth it to gain the cupholders though! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

decalservice
Regular Visitor

Post by decalservice » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:26 pm

I like the cupholder idea for sure! That's one thing that is sorely missing. I like a cup of earl grey or jasmine green in the morning and too many times I've come out with a case of "hot crotch" after having to brake suddenly, squeezing the foam cup between my legs.... not fun. Not to mention I've just recently gotten the seats refinished. I've got to say, Fibrenew did an AMAZING job on the Sterling. The seats literally look brand new. They only had a bit of wear, some creases, etc, so they weren't too bad, but holy heck, these guys made it look factory fresh. Amazing.

I will say though - their process didn't work too well on my recaro leather in the XR4Ti. It left it sticky for some reason. Perhaps something to do with the finish. The guy doing the restoration swears he's never seen that before, and offered to do the Sterling for free to apologize. I was a bit hesitant, but I agreed. I'm very glad I did. The XR4 has since gotten better, it just took time for the tackiness to subside. I'm sure if it comes down to it, I could have them scrub and refinish the leather again later.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:24 pm

The cupholder is something Rover never seemed to address for the 800 series sadly Rod, they did on the 75 (BMWs influence perhaps?) but usually only for the driver.
However when you consider the original launch date was 1986, cupholders weren't even considered an option back then - even central locking was a previously unheard of luxury for a lot of people.

What did you have done to the seats? It sounds as if they recoloured the leather or something?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

decalservice
Regular Visitor

Post by decalservice » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Yes, the seats were scrubbed, sanded, and then redyed. I've got to say, they look good as new! They filled in all the stress marks, and it's an amazing piece of work. I wouldn't hesitate to have them do it again on another car. I'll post a pic here soon

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:28 pm

That's pretty much what i did with the insert panels in the door cards. First one i did stayed "tacky" for a while, learned with the second and rest of them to dry them with a hairdryer in between coats.

Be interesting to see if the first one i did is more durable but i daresay i'll be about 130 years old before i notice any difference! :lol: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate