Rear o/s abs sensor

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mark827
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rear o/s abs sensor

Post by Mark827 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:57 am

Does anyone have one that works for sensible money? Or know what cars it may be the same as.
Mark

'92 827 Coupe

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Rear o/s abs sensor

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:43 pm

I may have one as part of a rear hub assembly Mark. If i have i would suggest changing the wheel bearing at the same time as i don't know what condition the bearing will be in.

As for other cars that use the same sensor, Volvo 7/9xx range on the front and Mk3 Cavaliers (possibly other Vauxhalls too) on the front.
The Volvos and Cavaliers have different plugs on but the biggest problem you've got is getting them out of the control arms on either of those or the rear hub carrier on an 800. They rust in as tight as a very tight thing.

On my last Volvo 740 i had to replace both front sensors. I was lucky enough to get hold of a pair of near-new secondhand ones for peanuts (compared to new ones) but i had to drill, burn and die-grind (think Dremel on steroids) the old ones out. Once they were out, i enlarged the hole very slightly and polished it to a mirror finish and smeared the body of the sensors with silicone grease before fitting, wiping off any that found its way onto the tips.
Not only would that ensure i could get them out easily, it would help prevent the corrosion which is what kills them usually - the metal (whether it's the cast iron of the rear hub carrier or the aluminium bracket of the front ones) corrodes and goes crystalline and the oxidised crystals then grow, crushing the sensor. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Mark827
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Mark827 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:01 pm

I've just changed the rear hub for the one you sent me so don't want to change it again. I must of damaged the sensor getting it out. I just want a sensor, the fronts are different altogether and I have a couple of those already.
Mark

'92 827 Coupe

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 pm

I remember now! :oops: Thought this sounded a bit familiar! You could try Ron at Best of British to see if he has any new ones, chances are any secondhand ones will be FUBAR because they don't come out easily.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Best-of-Britis ... res?_rdc=1

That's the ebay store, you might have more success ringing them and asking the question over the phone. For example, they stock front ABS sensors for the 2/400 & 25/45 that also fit the 800 but are opposite handed so you need a L/H 25 sensor for a R/H 800 and they're a sensible price but the leads are a bit long. If he has a similar solution for the 800 rears then he should be able to sort you out.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!