Plastic bumper bracket

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Plastic bumper bracket

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:35 pm

dollysprint wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:17 pm
Fantastic idea Mark and well done for doing it. I know nothing of 3d printing, whats the costing factor, is it size, material, strength or a combination? I'm thinking metal panel under the scuttle, above the brake servo, 3D printed in some kind of flexi plastic. Is this as smple as scan the object, choose the material, send to the printer?

Dave
Fantastic idea about the scuttle and other panels Dave! I'd be very interested in a plastic scuttle.

The way i understand it (and i could be wrong) it needs a "master" to scan using either lasers or some kind of reverse-CNC machine so if the master isn't perfect then those imprefections will show in the printed items.
However i think dimensions can also be entered or the object drawn on some sort of CAD program.

The scuttle might be tricky though, it's a compound curve! :shock:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 pm

I made up metal ones for my car and used countersunk screws to get around the screw head problems.. regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:59 pm

I have been trying to get a scuttle panel made in plastic for years. The compound curve and the fact that it is so long is the problem. The best method for it is injection moulding (if I recall correctly) and it is do-able but last time I enquired was going to be about £100 a piece on 50 units, a £5000 investment. I can't do that, crowd fund anybody?
I can make enquiries to see if the position's changed particularly as I now have a 'contact'.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dollysprint » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:06 pm

Not thinking of the scuttle although of course that would be good, but the metal panel above the brake servo, (it always rots) that sits under the plastic grille which cover the plenum/wiper mechanism. I don't seem to be able to put pictures up anymore, my PC operating system is rather old and unsupported now.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:10 pm

I think 3-D printing would be the answer but would have to be a large bed printer!

Alternatively an old-fashioned sheet-metal worker with an English wheel in his shed/garage, various dies etc to create the recessed screw holes, the swage along the edges and so on.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!