Plastic bumper bracket

Moderators: guru, SJG

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Plastic bumper bracket

Post by Fastback » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Bit of a long shot, but does anybody know if the plastic bumper bracket from the mk1 is the same shape as the mk2 metal/plastic type? Does anyone have one they could photograph please? (although I'm not seeing pictures again, just me?)
Also, not sure of the appetite for this (and not trying to undermine anybody here) but I have been making enquiries and it is now possible to get plastic/nylon brackets made that look like the later ones but of course won't 'blow'. It would also be possible to improve on certain elements of the original, eg by making the base slightly deeper so you get a better fit without spacers. The only issue is it would need a 'run' of at least 10 sets of 4. That would make a set about £35-40 but I can't fund this one on spec (unlike the sills, pairs still available :) ). Is there still enough interest out there (or enough cars :lol: ) to make this possible? Opinions welcome.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Plastic bumper bracket

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:56 am

I'm a little confused Mark - am i right in thinking you mean the channel section brackets the pegs on the bumpers slide into? The channel bolts to the wing on each corner of the car.

If so, i think you'd have to be fairly specific about the polymer/plastic used. Something like Delrin comes to mind or a similar engineering plastic.

The other thing is, they're a component that tends to be out of sight, out of mind. Most owners seem to only do something about them when they fail and then only replace the one that has failed.
Whether that's because they can usually only find one spare on ebay or whatever, i'm not sure.

It's a great idea but if i'm honest, i'd have to include myself in the "most owners" category, i know mine aren't the best but only likely to do something when one or more of them need replacing.

It's a brilliant idea and please don't take my comments as being negative, just trying to be realistic - i hope i'm wrong! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by zcar12 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:41 am

I doubt that you would see much demand for those items. I suspect that you could be stuck with many sets for many years. There are not that many 800:s left on the road now and its only us kooks on here that appreciate and still run them. When the channel sections on my car body splayed out, I found that an aluminum section cut from an old patio door was a good fit for the bumper pegs. It solved my problem and was plenty strong enough.

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Yes the channel section brackets. Thank you for the comments so far. It kind of confirms my hunch, perhaps just a few years late on this one. I am obviously aware of the metal ones Ade is making and perhaps that is suffice.

Any other comments?
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:37 am

To be fair Mark, i think you nailed it in the first post - " Is there still enough interest out there (or enough cars :lol: ) to make this possible?" - the remaining interest is generally the "hardcore enthusiast" and for the most part have either already replaced the brackets or have a stash or know someone that does and can raid it if necessary.

Either that or they're taking the view "I'm alright Jack" and ignoring the fact their bumper brackets are about to crumble into a millions fragments of dust, only to be worried about when they get an MoT failure for insecure bumpers. Then you'll suddenly get a load of replies asking if you ever made any of these and so on - you know the story on that one!

It's a similar story on all kinds of spares, those that have had their cars a while are the least likely to get rid and as such have generally got some sort of spares stash. When i sold my Coupé the idea was the spares i had for it that were Coupé-specific would go with the car. As it turned out, that just wasn't possible so i'm left with several spares that have been on offer on here as free to a good home. The two wings (in need of slight repair but fairly good) and boot lid went but i still have 2 doors, full set of door seals, the side window fixed glass and a few other bits, none of which i have room for so fairly soon will have to dispose of them one way or another.

If they don't go then they will surely just rot away.

That brings me neatly to the whole point of what this has been building up to. The quality of interest is there, just not the quantity these days.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Despite the lack of overwhelming interest and even enthusiasm, I am continuing with the idea. :shock:

The part, based on the later metal/plastic bracket has been 3D modelled by a Industrial Designer. The material will be nylon and the same process/material has been used in both automotive applications and formula racing teams. I will only be doing a very small run of eight units of which I need four. I have been able to negotiate a very good deal and I am going to offer the other four out to members at cost plus postage, preferably in pairs or all four. The cost is £20/pair, £40 all.

They are going to go on my Vitesse and I'll post pictures of the brackets and of the fitting but if somebody wants to dive in before then, let me know via a PM or similar. Build it and they will come! :lol:
Mark

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 am

"Build it and they will come! :lol:" Hope you are right on this one Mark. £40 a pair seems a fair price, given its a short run.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:12 am

Fastback wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:40 pm
I am going to offer the other four out to members at cost plus postage, preferably in pairs or all four. The cost is £20/pair, £40 all.
zcar12 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 am
"Build it and they will come! :lol:" Hope you are right on this one Mark. £40 a pair seems a fair price, given its a short run.
I think one of us is reading the price wrong Nick - i thought it was £20/pair or £40 for all4 - maybe Mark could clarify?

Build it and they will come - probably right, if something isn't available then there is no need. Make it available and the need is created. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:14 pm

The price is £20 for two, £40 for four, both plus postage. Like I said, I was able to negotiate a really good deal. This time. And that is genuine cost to me. Lead is time is about 10 days or so.

Any takers yet? 8)
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:33 pm

Fastback wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:14 pm
The price is £20 for two, £40 for four, both plus postage. Like I said, I was able to negotiate a really good deal. This time. And that is genuine cost to me. Lead is time is about 10 days or so.

Any takers yet? 8)
Thanks Mark, i thought that was the pricing structure. Not bad and similar to what the OE type are - or were i should say! :shock:

As for being a taker, i'm ok for the next few brackets thanks but i'm sure there will be a few takers, once they get their heads off Faceache and get back to a proper forum! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:42 am

I need a new Mk2 white gold rear bumper first!

But I do have the droop,..
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:24 am

Here's an update with pictures. As promised I ordered the parts and I fitted them at the weekend. I have included many pictures for you to peruse over.

A typical scenario, one which we are all familiar with. The bracket was so rotton that when I got hold of it, it literally came away in my hand! :shock: I had to drill out the bolts and managed not to damage the threads (had nylocks on standby) bar one.

Here is the part that I had made.

So as you can see, it is essentially a clone of the original.

Fitted to the car;

The more eagle eyed may notice a rubber fillet in these pictures but after we did a dry run it was deemed unnecassary. A bit of white grease and...

You can see the fit is perfect, nice and flush with the car body, that's why we didn't need the 'spacer'. The screws/machine bolts are still M5 pan head. We managed to do the front as well, no more droop :D .

So if anybody is interested in aquiring a couple or four and joining me on this experimental and groundbreaking endeavour (anybody else had 3D printed parts made?), get in touch.

A couple of my thoughts. Is the part used for another vehicle, is there a wider market? What is the third hole used for and can it be dispensed with? Answers on a post(not card) please. :)
Last edited by Fastback on Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:30 pm

I was watching something on YouTube last night - they now have 3D Metal printing! Copper, aluminium and steel!

Those bumper brackets look great Mark, just a thought though. You mentioned the filler piece behind, i was thinking now you know they are perfect on size, perhaps make the side that bolts onto the wing 2mm less and use a piece of 2mm rubber sheet to prevent it rubbing the bodywork?

As for what else these will fit, i think the early (KA1-4) Legends used them or similar but i don't know of anything else.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:35 pm

Bearing in mind that the bracket is now not metal, there is no need for a foam pad/spacer as there will be no metallurgic reaction, so not a problem. However if the base was made thinner then it becomes a weak point. Plastic on metal is common on the car and this won't cause any 'rub' issues.

If these brackets are essentially unique to the 800, then certain elements could be fine tuned. Time will be the test for them but what I can say is that as a direct replacement they are a better natural fit than the metal ones available; having fitted both, the metal ones need spacers and proud bolt heads caused me problems.
Mark

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Fantastic idea Mark and well done for doing it. I know nothing of 3d printing, whats the costing factor, is it size, material, strength or a combination? I'm thinking metal panel under the scuttle, above the brake servo, 3D printed in some kind of flexi plastic. Is this as smple as scan the object, choose the material, send to the printer?

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate