Post 96 Cooling fan controller

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post 96 Cooling fan controller

Post by Alucard7002 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi folks

I'm in need of the little black box that lives by the drivers headlight. Cooling fan relay box.

Long story short, mine died, need a replacement.

The hitch?

I need the wiring to go with it, as much as possible including the connectors.

Really appreciate it if anyone can help me out.

Cheers

Dusan
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

MikeMedford
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Post 96 Cooling fan controller

Post by MikeMedford » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:34 am

If you have no luck, try a kenlowe electronic thermostat.

Like this:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.d ... tAodcjcASw

After I failed to get vitty fan working via OEM system I installed one of these, only issue I've had is killing fuses but thats due to the Vitesse having a 40amp+ fan, NASP 820 shouldn't have that issue.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:30 pm

How desperate are you for it Dusan? I think i have one from a pre-'96 Mk2 somewhere around and as far as i know they are the same relay (it's the twin relay you're after?) but not got the wiring sadly. Can help with the diagrams if you need it though.

Have you got twin cooling fans on yours and is the wiring fried? If not, why do you need the wiring?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:52 am

scoobyh123 wrote:How desperate are you for it Dusan? I think i have one from a pre-'96 Mk2 somewhere around and as far as i know they are the same relay (it's the twin relay you're after?) but not got the wiring sadly. Can help with the diagrams if you need it though.

Have you got twin cooling fans on yours and is the wiring fried? If not, why do you need the wiring?
The wiring got fried along with the connectors. - See here http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopi ... =10&t=9775

I've cobbled together a temporary replacement out of 4 relays from halfords (mimicked the wiring diagram, thankfully Rover tell you what's in the black boxes!)

I may have a solution, it's in limbo I'll let you know how I get on.

Pre-96 would be no use to me as mine is twin fan with A/C and a black box with 4 relays in it.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:38 am

The relay i think you need is the YWB100801 which supercedes all previous relays, including the relay used on the pre'96 cars, one of which i'm sure i have somewhere! Mine is also air-con with twin cooling fans, hence having a spare! I know i have the later bracket for that relay but the same relay was used in the earlier cars with A/C and twin fans according to Rimmers.
I'll try to exhume it tomorrow, i know where the bracket is but that isn't helpful for you. The same relay seems to have been used in about 8 different models so should be easy enough to find one in a breakers yard, just take the list of cars it is fitted to with you when you go hunting, assuming i can't find mine. I've packed a lot of stuff up recently so if it's in something i've packed then i can't help.

Any idea what caused it in the first place? No frayed wires, siezed cooling fans or similar?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!