1998 Rover 820 Sterling Coupe ***£200*** bank holiday sale!!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: 1998 Rover 820 Sterling Coupe ***£200*** bank holiday sa

Post by Richard Moss » Tue May 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Simon Hubbard wrote:I don't really think this is a fair comment to make Dan.
A fate nobody acted upon to stop as everyone wants top-dollar car for bargain money
Especially given that there WAS a potential buyer
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Richard Moss wrote:
Simon Hubbard wrote:I don't really think this is a fair comment to make Dan.
A fate nobody acted upon to stop as everyone wants top-dollar car for bargain money
Especially given that there WAS a potential buyer

Don't know if you've seen this that Dan said :
DLR wrote:Sorry but this is going for scrap this week.

Didn't get Simon's message until I early Saturday morning (was working until midnight) and there was no answer when I tried Saturday afternoon.

Had a pleasant conversation with someone from the Coventry area Saturday evening (was that your friend, Dave?) and he didn't let me know a yes/no.
As i pointed out in my reply, the Coventry person was nothing to do with me and i suspected it was Simons contact. If it was and he didn't give Dan any sort of decision (from the sound of things) maybe this puts a new light on it all?

If it doesn't and i've missed something then apologies but the lack of decision from the person Dan spoke to might just have been enough to disillusion him? Purely conjecture on my part, just trying to see things from all sides.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue May 27, 2014 2:40 pm

DLR wrote:Richard, I am not going to justify myself to you. Or anyone else, for that matter. I will not be told what cars I can and cannot drive by someone I've never met and I cannot believe you feel you have the right to talk to me that way.
Not asking you to justify yourself, nor passing judgement - just making an observation based upon your record as detailed in the DLR's Cars posts made on this forum. Each 800 has become an "I've fallen out of love with this car, it's too much like hard work" sort of thread (except for the KV6 one which your dad sorted out after it failed the MOT).

As for this one, you knew that Simon had a buyer lined up but to expect the potential buyer to answer a PM within hours is unrealistic, especially when you have taken a long time to reply to some questions.

Still, your car - just sad that it ended the way it did.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

DLR
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by DLR » Tue May 27, 2014 7:13 pm

A buyer did not materialise at any stage, attempts at contact proved to be a dead end and I'm eternally apologetic for cluttering the forum with my posts.

I'm saying no more on the topic of this car.

And one more thing - I sorted the KV6, not my dad. Cost me £360 to get through the MOT and it is now my car, not his. He has a Mondeo now and the KV6 was destined for scrap instead, but I made sure it had another year on the road. But what do I know, it's too much like hard work sometimes ;)

Thank you for the lovely comments but the matter is now closed as far as I am concerned as it went to the scrapyard this afternoon. Some parts removed and spoken for.

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SJG » Tue May 27, 2014 7:34 pm

DLR wrote:I'm saying no more on the topic of this car.
Probably best Dan.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed May 28, 2014 7:54 am

Oh dear, Dan.

This car has been victim of nothing but indecisiveness on your part.

I am really sorry that the car didn't turn out as planned. It most certainly wasn't damp inside when I had it. It lived outside in all weathers during the three months I had it.

As has been said above, these are old cars now and do need a fair bit of regular maintainance.

Two more points - you never got the auto fluid leak diagnosed by a garage so it could have been merely a loose/split pipe (I think this was suggested by RM early on) and I did make a suggestion 2 weeks ago that we could break the car properly together from my place (to get it out your way) and divide the spoils. I wish you'd considered both these points better.

Anyway, good luck with thingS, Dan. I did all I could to help you and I am sorry that the car met the fate it has. It was too good for that.
No longer an 800 owner!

ash
Regular Visitor

Post by ash » Wed May 28, 2014 9:49 pm

DLR wrote:I've butchered it I'm afraid. If anyone took it on now they'd need a new driver's door, new dashboard (I took a hacksaw to it to remove something because I'm impatient and it's scrap fodder anyway) plus some other odds and sods like expansion tank.

I do feel bad about sealing its fate especially since Bradders saved it before, but look at it another way - the number of Coupes has decreased, therefore the rest are now more valuable by x amount!

One other thing I must say - when I took this on in December I intended to punt it on anyway (said this right from the beginning) but did not anticipate the issues that would arise from using it daily. It wasn't neglected, but it was used every day so it got treated as such - being washed every couple of weeks, lots of lovely northern weather, moving home again when i had some "issues". Plus thinking about it I am certain that the damp in the back was there since day one and caused me to have these reactions where I was temporarily blinded and on one occasion stranded at Stafford because I couldn't see or breathe. Only ever happened after extended periods of being in this car. Coincidence?

Plus I must confess I did dislike this car from early on. It left me stranded on the very first journey north (seized brakes) and caused me to miss vital assessments, performances and shows. Cursed from day one! My parents were cursed when it came to red cars (Metro engine fire, Montego electrical loom fire, Rover 216 engine electric problems, etc. ) so perhaps I have the curse as well?

I honestly think after being the cosseted car of many and doing minimal miles, my use as a daily driver was a factor in these issues becoming prevalent. Sign of how these are expensive to maintain and more suited to collections or weekend car treatment?

As said elsewhere I am getting the Si sorted. Currently driving the KV6 fastback and that's on 76k on original engine. Beginning to smoke blue smoke on start up so that one is due to go pop at any moment.

I'm fairly certain that I will not be purchasing any more 800s. As was pointed out to me last week these cars will drain me financially - there's more to life than worrying about these cars.

Edited to correct atrocious spelling and to apologise for the rant...
Well that is indeed a shame. If only you had hung on a little longer, or persevered and spent a few quid on a can of degreaser and searched for the leak. After all, stripping a car is not going to be a 5 minute job.

I do think you are being a little ridiculous calling an old car like this 'cursed from day one' due to a seized brake calliper and a damp boot. It is 16 years old and has covered 200,000 miles for christ sake!
2000 Rover 45 1.8 Connoisseur - 160,000 miles and counting (k series)
1998 Rover 416 Special edition - possibly for sale

1997 Rover 820 Vitesse - no longer

ash
Regular Visitor

Post by ash » Wed May 28, 2014 10:00 pm

DLR wrote:
At the end of the day, nobody took it on from Brad when he was selling and nobody took it on when I was selling. .
I did post up with interest asking if you think the car would be capable of driving 115 or so miles......and I sign on all of what, 2 days later?....and the car has been butchered.

I know it is all to easy to get impatient when selling a car, however you cant always expect them to sell with a click of your fingers. I am in car sales myself and at work we've had cars such as Vauxhall's and Nissan Qashqai's etc (so some of the most popular models of cars on Britains roads) in stock for 30, 40+ days before selling.
Last edited by ash on Wed May 28, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2000 Rover 45 1.8 Connoisseur - 160,000 miles and counting (k series)
1998 Rover 416 Special edition - possibly for sale

1997 Rover 820 Vitesse - no longer

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Wed May 28, 2014 10:02 pm

I think you should all give the guy a break here and stop pontificating ..............

It's been said before and needs saying again, it's his car to do as he pleases .................

Where's the saviour when we need him ................... :roll:
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed May 28, 2014 10:58 pm

Thread locked
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997