1998 Rover 820 Sterling Coupe ***£200*** bank holiday sale!!

Moderators: guru, SJG

DLR
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1998 Rover 820 Sterling Coupe ***£200*** bank holiday sale!!

Post by DLR » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:24 pm

SEE 2ND PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS ON THIS GENUINE DFS STYLE BANK HOLIDAY EXTRAVAGANZA

Original thread can be found here here.

It has been mentioned elsewhere, but I thought I'd better advertise it here properly in case the lucky new owner hasn't seen the advert yet!

For sale is my 1998 Rover 820 Sterling Coupe Auto. Tax runs out at the end of July and MOT expires on November 19th.

Interior is in fantastic condition and the seats are the comfiest I’ve encountered on an 800. Heated seats work, all electric adjusters work, air conditioning is fantastic, basically if it has a button to do something it functions as it should! Also, NO DASH LIFT!!

Car has a huge stack of paperwork dating back as far as 2006 and I have a receipt for over £1800’s worth of engine swap back in 2008 (car was fitted with a 48,000 mile engine @ 181,000 miles). Car has also had new filler neck (common rot spot) and a new remote fob last year.

Bodywork is not perfect (it’s 16 years old!) but it is very presentable. Few dings and scratches but the worst part is the bootlid (pictured), where the lacquer has peeled away. Minimal rust, there are three patches on the nearside outer sill but I believe these are not structural (passed the last MOT no problems), otherwise there are two small patches on the rear arches and around the lock on the bootlid (again, these are pictured).

As with all older cars there are a few issues, these are:

1) The gearbox appears to have a minor leak. Since refilling I’ve only had to top it up once in the last three weeks, but there is a leak which I am unable to trace. Car still drives fine and I’ve had no issues commuting from Swindon to Royal Wootton Bassett every day, but this will need to be seen to. Or just keep an eye on the fluid!

2) Windscreen is chipped behind the rear view mirror. Not in the sight of the driver but will need seeing to.

3) Discovered yesterday that the carpet behind the passenger seat is damp – water ingress from somewhere, but not looked to find out where from yet.

Mileage is not accurate as the MOTs have read 189,909 for the last five years (most probably well over 200,000). New speedo sensor was fitted by me and now the speedo and milometer work as they should. Bear in mind the car has had the engine replaced and runs absolutely spot on. Steering is nice and light.

I'd like £450 for it, but I am open to reasonable offers. Two keys, one remote, V5 present, etc.

New photos (more can be found on the original thread at the top of this post):

Last edited by DLR on Thu May 22, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

DLR
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 1998 Rover 820 Sterling Coupe for sale

Post by DLR » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Should also add that the car is located in Swindon, Wiltshire.

Thank you for looking.

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:02 am

Bump.

Nobody buying these days? I've not even had an insulting offer of scrap value yet!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:33 am

It has only been a day and a half so far! Many people only "drop in" every week or two.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:15 am

You'll find that in a day or so you'll get an avalanche of at least three enquiries due to the reasons RM says above.

Or just pop it on eBay and it'll definitely sell.
No longer an 800 owner!

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:19 am

It won't sell on ebay. Every time I try and sell a car on ebay I get timewasters who think it's a game. The last two cars I had I was mucked about through ebay by people who were on this very forum - thankfully Mo stepped in for the 820E and we know where the gold 820Si went!

Plus there was that Golf I sold - that was an experience I'd rather forget.

How do you gents sell on ebay with what appears to be a 100% success rate? Naturally after several failed attempts I'd like to avoid a repeat performance (hence me advertising everywhere but ebay).

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:39 am

I agree that eBay is best for buyers not for sellers. However, I think that it also offers the widest audience - a worldwide one at that - so exposure to potential buyers is the biggest anywhere. The exposure to the idiots and time wasters is also the biggest anywhere!

I think you need to photograph your car clearly and in a good setting. Make sure that you use all 12 available photos and ensure that you get a picture of the whole car - boot, engine, dash as well as all round. Be honest and describe all the good bits and all the bad bits.

Never threaten to scrap if unsold!

Always offer to deliver where possible and offer inspection by any mechanic if required.

Fingers crossed
No longer an 800 owner!

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:27 am

People also seem to dramatically decrease the likelihood of getting timewasters by using classified listings, rather than auctions. You may need to be patient if you're set on a getting a specific figure, but all the points set out by Brad above (increased exposure being positive, decent photos etc) hold just as true.

The listing stays live for the set time or until it actually leaves your driveway - no 'sorry m8 my cat/mum don't like it + I've got to buy flatscreens 4tha kiddies ain't i?' nonsense from dreaming bidders.

Good luck
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:45 am

Good point, Ade. Classified ad, not an auction. Saves a lot of anguish. After all, until eBay came along, isn't that how all cars were sold?
No longer an 800 owner!

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Good points well made gentlemen.

Looks like I'm no longer having dad's Sterling now (they'd rather scrap it than sell to me apparently, despite the fact it should have been going for an MoT this morning that I was paying for) so may actually need this for a couple more weeks than planned. Less haste.

I will write up a classified ad tonight when I get i from work. Some of my "spares" will probably be on ebay for cheap as well, the way things are going I need to raise some cash and clear the decks (hence the Si being advertised as well). So keep an eye out for cheap alloys, bumpers and other random assortments!

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Is it not worth advertising the items on here first as 3pinplug and Brad has done to good effect.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:10 am

Maybe. Tried before and had no success, but if all of the 800s are going then it makes sense to try and part with the bits and pieces wherever I can.

Nothing exciting about to surface, by the way. I'm not like Brad and have 10 filler necks stashed away anywhere!

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Sat May 03, 2014 9:01 pm

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sat May 03, 2014 11:36 pm

Why not a classified ad?

And I've also seen the car cleaner, Dan. It just looks dull and like it's never seen any polish. I'd rephotograph once cleaned - get those wheels specially glistening and the tyres black - and pose it somewhere rural. And not with another 800 in the background. Also a side on shot always looks best for the Coupes.

But your honest write up is commendable.

Hope you don't think I'm having a go at you but we're friends and I'd like you to get this car sold ASAP so you can stop mithering about it.
No longer an 800 owner!

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sun May 04, 2014 12:04 am

Those are very nice words and advice Brad has given, I saw the ebay add and thought it must be worth more than this.

Dan please heed this advise and I am sure you will get a sale.

Good luck my friend
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05