Brand new sills

Moderators: guru, SJG

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Brand new sills

Post by mercedade » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Good quality stuff too. I had mine fitted last week and the welder said they were a good straight up fit.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

deano
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by deano » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:14 pm

If u don't mind me asking... :?

How much did the fitting cost ?
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:19 pm

Effing loads :(

£400 to cut off the old sills (which included a pop-riveted patch repair from many, many moons ago before my ownership :shock: ), patch up/reconstruct the inner sills as needed, and fit the new sills, including some minor grinding back.

This is not a superneat job by any stretch of the imagination (to protect it, it's been undersealed), but this is not and never will be a concours job. This is about solidity.

I did a bit of shopping around and this was the cheapest I could find.
Adrian

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:23 pm

£400 sounds like a bargain, I paid more for one side!
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:11 pm

If it's any help, the half sill repair i had on my Sterling a few years back was £150 and the complete sill fitted to the coupé was £250 with me supplying the sill. Both jobs were done cheaper than normal as he fitted it in round other work as i had other things to drive so wasn't desperate to have it back on the road NOW, IF NOT SOONER!!!! :lol:

Taking the coupe bill of £250, having both fitted for £400 seems an exceptionally good price! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:52 pm

hmmm... trouble is I only paid £300 for the whole motor
plus £400 to have my own sills fitted.

Is it gonna be worth £700 afters... I doubt it :?
------------------
Previously
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:01 pm

Maybe but perhaps not for a while - they are going up in value and people are beginning to offer strange sums for them. Was recently offered £5k for my coupé but i'd seen what he did to his last one so politely declined! :lol: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:42 pm

I would have took it like a shot ,
Bought another one and still had 3-4k left in ya pocket

Coupes and Vittesse`s seem to be the only 800 holding decent money or maybe a low low miles timewarp mk1
------------------
Previously
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:29 pm

Trouble is, there are very few 827 coupes in White Gold left now and trying to find another one that didn't need a bucket load of work doing would probably take most of that money. Besides, this is what he did to the last one!

Having spoken to the previous owner to him, i also happen to know there were a lot of other faults present when he sold it that weren't there when he got it, all (mostly) down to lack of maintenance. After spending the past three years sorting mine out, i wasn't prepared to let him near it!

For the most part, everything is sorted on mine now except odd little jobs that will always crop up. It has 4 good (near new) tyres, recent new exhaust including downpipes, nice interior, recent cambelt, tensioner spring and water pump etc and if i bought another i'd have to start again. Even the air-con works in it! I'm not sure how much longer i'll be able to carry on even doing minor jobs like oil changes etc as i'm already struggling so to take on another potentially 3+ years of remedial work just isn't viable.

Besides, i really want to concentrate on getting my Sterling sorted now, there are some silly problems (like the alternator finally dying) and a few upgrades i want/need to do before i'm happy with it and i wouldn't be able to do that and a fresh coupe - don't think i've got that much energy for a kick-off! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:50 am

deano wrote:hmmm... trouble is I only paid £300 for the whole motor

But what does it matter what it's worth?

I know what you mean Dean, and I'm not being flippant because I had exactly the same line of thought! But here's my reasoning.

I've paid nearly £600 to get through the MOT this year (actually, only £450 strictly for the MOT, but I also had advisories on all tyres and figured it was time) and the honest answer is, of course, that my car is unlikely to be worth what I've spent on it, in that were I to sell my car I'd never get back the sum total of what I've spent.

But I reckoned that was the wrong way of thinking about it, because I ain't selling. I'm not a trader, I buy my cars to get me through and to drive around, and I know that costs money. The real questions for me were:

1) How much would it cost me to buy a replacement?
2) How much do I like this one?

1 - essentially unknown. I've had the cambelt, clutch, radiator and god knows what else changed over the last 4 years, so they're fine. Each time I've coughed up for a 'bigger' job, I've weighed up if I'm paying 'too much' to keep something going. My basic maths reckoned that if I have a car for less than £400 a year (less than £35 a month), I'm doing better than 90% of people out there (buying a £3k Focus using a loan to pay for it, and they also have to pay for maintenance on top of that). I didn't spend much last year, so I put last year's money in the pot for this year. Man maths.

2 - I like this one a lot. It's not a perfect example by any stretch, but to replace it with any other Vitesse would be an unnecessary leap into the unknown, and I have no idea what other car can tick all my boxes: practical, fun, interesting, cheap. Maybe an Octvia VRS or a ZT-T? Still too expensive for me so far.

Long story short - unless you're a trader planning on making your fortune, I reckon there isn't much point in thinking of the value of the car. It's whether or not you can afford it and want to keep the car you have.

Mind you, I might have a different answer if I have to replace something massive next year...
Adrian

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:40 am

mercedade wrote:
deano wrote:hmmm... trouble is I only paid £300 for the whole motor

But what does it matter what it's worth?

I know what you mean Dean, and I'm not being flippant because I had exactly the same line of thought! But here's my reasoning.

I've paid nearly £600 to get through the MOT this year (actually, only £450 strictly for the MOT, but I also had advisories on all tyres and figured it was time) and the honest answer is, of course, that my car is unlikely to be worth what I've spent on it, in that were I to sell my car I'd never get back the sum total of what I've spent.

But I reckoned that was the wrong way of thinking about it, because I ain't selling. I'm not a trader, I buy my cars to get me through and to drive around, and I know that costs money. The real questions for me were:

1 - essentially unknown. I've had the cambelt, clutch, radiator and god knows what else changed over the last 4 years, so they're fine. Each time I've coughed up for a 'bigger' job, I've weighed up if I'm paying 'too much' to keep something going. My basic maths reckoned that if I have a car for less than £400 a year (less than £35 a month), I'm doing better than 90% of people out there (buying a £3k Focus using a loan to pay for it, and they also have to pay for maintenance on top of that). I didn't spend much last year, so I put last year's money in the pot for this year. Man maths.

2 - I like this one a lot. It's not a perfect example by any stretch, but to replace it with any other Vitesse would be an unnecessary leap into the unknown, and I have no idea what other car can tick all my boxes: practical, fun, interesting, cheap. Maybe an Octvia VRS or a ZT-T? Still too expensive for me so far.

Long story short - unless you're a trader planning on making your fortune, I reckon there isn't much point in thinking of the value of the car. It's whether or not you can afford it and want to keep the car you have.

Mind you, I might have a different answer if I have to replace something massive next year...
Something you left out of your man-maths Adrian is the depreciation of the £3k Focus and also the cost of the loan/finance on it. Broadly speaking if you have finance on a car over 3 years, it's a generalisation (but close enough) that you repay 150% of what you borrow. In other words, you borrow £3k, you pay back £4500 including interest, arrangement fees, settlement fees and other fees they dream up to get money out of you.
That's £1500 a year or roughly £30 a week. Bear in mind the Focus could have been bought privately for between £1800-2500 and at auction for probably £600-1200 so the trade value would be somewhere between £500-1000.
At the end of the loan period, the car would probably forecourt at £1400-2000 so apply the same ratios and the trade value is now £280-400. That means the Focus owner has lost £4100-4220 over the three years unless they sell it privately for £800-1500 in which case their loss is mitigated somewhat.
Not to mention if they bought it on finance, they don't actually own it legally until the last payment is made.

Back to your Vitesse - the same applies as what i said about my coupé. Over the past three years i've done everything that needed doing, yes it may need a passenger side sill at some point in the future but that is safely tucked away in the airing cupboard (it was being kept company by a pair for Gaz/Vito until recently! :lol: ) and come the time it's getting near the MoT, i'll assess it and decide if a sharp intake of breath (and belt!) is needed or whether i can breathe easy and continue eating normally.
In all honesty the 800 is about the only car i can get comfortable in these days so while it may sometimes cost me a bit on the welding front not only is it still cheaper than anything more modern but is significantly cheaper to run than even something new that did 70mpg when everything is taken into account. In fact, when i get the LPG mixer right on the coupé, i'm expecting the pence per mile cost to be roughly the same as running a petrol car doing 60-75mpg - it already gives the equivalent p/mile cost of a car doing 50mpg on petrol so not much more tweaking to do.

Oh yeah - added bonus! The only real thing 800 prices can do is go up, like Dean says the Vitesse and coupé models are making decent money now, Sterlings aren't far behind and the 827 SLi models are beginning to rise as well. The only ones either dropping or staying the same are the KV6 and poverty spec (any engines) cars respectively.
When the "upper range" models are no longer regularly seen on ebay, the SLi models will go up and then the povo-spec cars will follow suit.
Look at the SD1 range to see what i mean - the V8s still command a premium but the 2.3/2.6 cars are now fetching better money and even the lowly "entry level" 2.0 "O" series powered cars are making good money. Go back 10-15 years and you couldn't give an SD1 away unless it was exceptional, now people fight over them on ebay and even rough ones with nothing on go for more than a grand.

Give it a few years and i reckon even a humble 820i will be nudging a grand as well. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

t120v

Post by t120v » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Got my new sills today and a fine bit of kit today they are too. So thank you for your efforts.
Now I just need to find someone to fit them.

Russ
TVR 350i
Triumph T120V
Triumph T150V
HD FXRPS
Vitesse Mk1c

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:50 pm

Cost of motoring. Whatever you put in will help you enjoy the car more. If you think you can buy another car cheaper, how much will it cost to put things right on that one? If you're in it for the long term the right comparison is not the price of a different unknown 800. Once you get the car right, all you have to worry about are consumable parts and occasional preventative maintenance. Just getting to that point can be lumpy, cash wise. Keeping it well and looking after it is important too of course!

I probably spend around a grand a year on each of mine, including about 400 each for tax and insurance. So 600 pounds / yr / car, wouldn't get much in the way of a different newer car for that...

I think the key is that when you do big expensive work on the car, make sure it is done well and look after it afterwards. Do it right, do it once...
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:26 pm

mercedade wrote:But I reckoned that was the wrong way of thinking about it, because I ain't selling. I'm not a trader, I buy my cars to get me through and to drive around, and I know that costs money. The real questions for me were:

This is a great way of explaining the appeal of what the majority of owners on this forum are doing.

mjc9967 wrote:I think the key is that when you do big expensive work on the car, make sure it is done well and look after it afterwards. Do it right, do it once...
And this is a very, very good piece of advice.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:43 pm

traineefarmer wrote:
mercedade wrote:But I reckoned that was the wrong way of thinking about it, because I ain't selling. I'm not a trader, I buy my cars to get me through and to drive around, and I know that costs money. The real questions for me were:

This is a great way of explaining the appeal of what the majority of owners on this forum are doing.

mjc9967 wrote:I think the key is that when you do big expensive work on the car, make sure it is done well and look after it afterwards. Do it right, do it once...
And this is a very, very good piece of advice.
What they all said! ^^^^^ :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate