Rover 820e with LPG for spares / sale

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
djw113uk
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rover 820e with LPG for spares / sale

Post by djw113uk » Mon May 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Manual, Red, H reg 820e saloon. I originally bought it for the LPG kit, but when I changed jobs I ended up using it for a year or so. Used to do about 25MPG on gas - 250m range and was great except when towing (no abs and poor trailer brakes meant for ski-ing stops!). Gearbox was always noisy, but worked fine, then it starting leaking oil and I realised there was about 1/2" movement in the drive-shafts - I think the bearings are going / gone. I was doing too many miles, and got an E34 BMW on LPG instead.

It has stood on mum's driveway in Bath for about 7 years now, maybe more. It might be beyond saving, but I haven't looked at it in ages. I need to clear space as I have just accumulated too many cars. (The E34 and the spares car went last month, as I now have an E39 diesel instead)

I thought I would offer it here first, else I will take off the LPG kit and engine (hoping to mate it to an LT77 in my old Triumph), and perhaps save the rear brakes for a rear disc conversion, and probably weigh the rest in.

With the LPG I think its worth £275, but open to offers for any parts or for the whole. I could deliver if it helps.

David
H reg 820e LPG - available for sale / spares 18.5.15

djw113uk
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rover 820e with LPG for spares / sale

Post by djw113uk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Well not a single comment or email, so either it is of no interest to anyone or I want too much for it?

I am probably going to keep the LPG kit and engine, but the rest will be weighed in in the not too distance future. I just read a post about wanting door handles. I know the header tanks are rare in good condition, and I will check the state of the fuel filler tubes, but are there any other bits that I should keep hold of, or that anyone needs before I dump it?

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:16 pm

I could well be interested in some parts in particular the dash depending on colour and if it has any lift, if you could pm with any details.

thanks
steve
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

djw113uk

Post by djw113uk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:03 pm

Its a dark beige / brown I think. could be grey?. Its been a long time since I opened the door and looked inside. It had a tiny amount of lift above he instruments but not great compared to some I have seen. Will try to get some photos when I am next in Bath.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:14 am

I might be interested in the LPG system, sadly there's not much else that would be any good for me. It seems you're keeping the LPG system though so bit of a non-starter for me i'm afraid.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

djw113uk

Post by djw113uk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:19 am

It would be simpler for the car to go as a whole, but I hope to use the LPG kit on my old Triumph. The cost to buy the LPG parts, makes the breaking the rover a better bet. I also have ideas of joining the 2.0 engine to an LT77 to get it rear wheel drive... perhaps in a triumph. Series 1 800's seem pretty rare now, and although probably not viable for returning to the road I thought I would see if there are any difficult to get parts that might be of use to someone with an 800 still on the road.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:53 am

No worries on the LPG kit. The M-series (if it's early enough to have the M) and the T-series were both developed from the O-series which was used in RWD form in the SD1 2000 with twin carbs to nudge the power up to 100bhp. Something in the back of my mind is saying the 820e had the single carb O-series anyway which was about 92bhp, not much to haul a 1200+kg car along!
If you find the right bellhousing (SD1 2000 should work) to fit between the engine and the LT77 it should be fairly straightforward. Many moons ago i fitted the M-series into a Montego - apart from making a bespoke engine mount, it was a spanner job. Definitely one way to make a Montego fly and upset Porsche drivers! :twisted:

What you say is right about the Mk1s being rare now and there are a lot of parts unique to the Mk1 that i'm amazed haven't been ruthlessly hunted down and prised out of your hands in exchange for beer vouchers.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!