Original Fuel Filler pipe

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
red1
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Original Fuel Filler pipe

Post by red1 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:46 pm

Hello,

This is an original fuel filler pipe taken from my 1995 MkIIA.
As you can see there is surface rust and the top section has corroded.
Despite the rust the pipe is solid and so far as I can tell none of the rust has corroded right through.

I recently replaced the pipe with a new one manufactured by "turboade820" on ebay for £170. It fits well and is good quality.

I know some of you prefer original parts so if anyone wants to refurbish this one please let me know.

regards
eric

Eric
N reg Sterling 4door 1995 8.27v6 mark 2a

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Original Fuel Filler pipe

Post by Manalishi » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Looks nice and should fetch a fair sum sold to the buyer willing to pay. I put mine into a large bucket of citrus acid and after a day or two and a good brushing with a steel brush it was very much as new, so I suggest you do that. After a coat of base paint and some nice black thick paint it will be as good as new and will look as new.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

red1
Regular Visitor

Post by red1 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a go.
Eric
N reg Sterling 4door 1995 8.27v6 mark 2a

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:53 pm

A much better (and more environmentally friendly) way to de-rust it is to use electrolytic cleaning. It works and i've even shifted seized adjusters on rear trailing arms using this method. It's probably the cheapest method as well and because the electrolysis helps to reverse the rusting process, some rust will be converted back into good metal.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/thre ... ing.12686/

You'll notice a lot of the parts are 800 bits - there's a good reason for that! The author of the thread is known on here as "The Old Man" and has loaded plenty of pics on the thread.

Once all the rust has gone, remove the filler from the tank and wash it off then dry it immediately. If you can put it in an oven at about 80C for a while to thoroughly dry it all the better! :wink: :D
Once dry paint it with something like Hammerite Smooth black to achieve good rust proofing then spray it Satin Black to make it look original.
If you want to get the mounting ring repaired , the best time is just after you've dried it then give it another quick treatment in the electrolytic bath, rinse, dry, paint etc.

The solution can be used many times, i find draining it off and then washing the sediment out every so often helps then top up with water and a small amount of soda. If you have an old fish tank aeration pump/block, that also helps agitate the solution while derusting, same goes for a fish tank heater as well.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:40 pm

Citrus acid is very much environmental friendly Dave, I'm talking about the stuff the ladies use when they make lemonade. You get it from the shelf where you buy spices. Mix it with water and put your rusty items in the solution for a day or so. I'm not saying your method isn't better, just claiming mine to be easier for the man only equipped with nuts and spanners...
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:05 pm

I see where you're going with that now Henrik - i thought (wrongly) you meant a big tub of citric acid that would be more likely found in a factory.
To be honest, my method is pretty easy as well - a battery charger, plastic tub, a sacrificial anode which can be any piece of mild steel, water and washing soda.

You pay your money and take your choice really, the major benefit of my idea is it doesn't remove any original plating such as chrome and it also helps turn some rust back into good metal whereas the acid could eat away the thinnest bits of metal. Something in the back of my mind says phosphoric acid is the magic ingredient in things like Kurust etc.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!