Drivers door window switch panel

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
pat5338
Regular Visitor

Drivers door window switch panel

Post by pat5338 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Has anyone got a good 4 door switch panel for the drivers door of a 1997 825Si, they are willing to sell?
The Rover Car Club I belong to in New Zealand is trying to get the car back on the road after its last owner "threw her toys out of the pram" and left it at the side of the road. We used the switch panel out of my car to close the windows and keep the weather out but we cannot pass it on to anyone else without being able to open or close the windows.
If no one can help, any suggestions of a supplier in the UK would be very helpful
best wishes from the Antipodes

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Drivers door window switch panel

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:05 pm

I'll have a look for you Pat. Have you still got the original switch panel for it?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:55 pm

The switch panel that had failed was practically the last new one that Rimmers had and it failed after a remarkably short time. (2 years?) I bought it for the owner of the car and we were both a bit stunned by the price., so yes, we still have it, but so far as I can tell none of the switches work, but when I fitted the one from my car, everything worked as it should, so I don't think it is a fusebox board problem.
regards

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:41 pm

The reason i asked if you still had the old one Pat is because some of the ones i have are different colour casings. I know on the Mk2b (96 on) many of the cars had colour-coded window switch packs. For example i have a complete set of Stone Beige window switches (they're ear-marked already though), others are Ash(?) Grey (or is it Granite, can never remember!) and the rest are the standard grey finish.

If you have the original then i don't need to find a colour-coded one or a grey one, just the first where all 4 window switches (and mirror switches) work as you can swap the case fairly easily.

As for the reason the one from Rimmers failed so quickly, it was probably made in the 90s at some point. The EU in their infinite wisdom decreed that lead-free solder must be used. This was apparently to protect the workers from breathing lead fumes and being poisoned.
At the time, the "unleaded" solder wasn't very durable and went brittle with age and also melted at lower temperatures - not much but enough to make a difference, especially in a hot car in a hot country! If the solder is a bit soft and the switch is pressed, it will eventually move the solder joint, simply by flexing the PCB the switches are mounted on. In fact the switches are small bits of sprung tin or similar that, when pressed by the rocker for the window, do the metal biscuit tin lid thing of flattening (creating the circuit) then springing back up. Of course this moves the PCB even just slightly and because the pins on the back of the switch are held by the plug............. you see where i'm going with this!

As such, the 20 ish year old (although brand new and still in the box) switch from Rimmers would have had old, lead-free solder and probably wouldn't have taken much to break those solder joints.

You mention the fusebox, it could be worth your while removing it and resoldering it in the meantime, just as a "belt'n'braces" measure. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi, Thanks for that information. I had heard that some of the electrical problems were caused by poor quality solder, and that would probably explain why the 1988 Mk 1 827 I have has never suffered from these sorts of problems. (Though I did have to have a repair made to the ecu)
Originally the 825 had stone beige switches, and the one I got from Rimmers was also that colour, but we are more concerned with having switches that work than what colour they are!
Do you know approx. what date the solder quality changed?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:36 pm

I think it was 92 that the EU insisted on lead-free solder, i could probably hunt online and find a more exact date but it would certainly tie in with the Mk1s not suffering and the Mk2s almost always suffering solder problems.

As you have the case it's easy enough to swap a working PCB into a coloured case, i'm busy tomorrow but hopefully will get a chance on thursday to have a play with the box of switches i've got andfind a working one or at least one that only needs minor repair.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:18 pm

Thanks - much appreciated. There were so few 800s brought into New Zealand, and they are nearly all gone now, so finding spares can be very difficult indeed.
I was talking to another enthusiast about your email regarding the solder problem, and he confirms your thoughts but was less certain about the dates, but one thing he said which puzzled me and that was Mk1 door switch panel wont work in a Mk 2 car. I used the panel out of my Mk 1 drivers door to close the window on the 825 with no problems at all, I suppose it is possible my Mk 1 has a later switch panel but then why would a later panel work in an earlier door and not vice-versa? Puzzling!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:19 pm

Your friend is right in many cases, often the early Mk2 drivers switch panel won't work in later Mk2 cars.

I think i've located a Stone Beige drivers switch panel and a test-bed car to test it on before sending. I'll confirm tomorrow for you.

I have to confess i don't know what Rover were doing or why with the Mk1/Mk2 thing on the window switches, i know a lot of things were changed on the Mk2b cars because of BMWs ownership and the lost access to the original spec parts. Having recently recovered a Mk2a drivers seat with a Mk2b cover to gain the seat heaters and blue piping, i can confirm the seat frames are made of thinner metal, the leather is thinner and the mechanism/motors are much less "beefy" on the Mk2b than the Mk2a - also different control systems so the looms are different too.
Also minor bits of trim are thinner and more brittle and a whole host of other things made more cheaply as well.

As far as i've worked out from my experience, the Mk1 cars used the best quality bits but the build quality wasn't as good as the early Mk2s that still used high quality kit and gained a slightly better build quality. The Mk2b cars (96 on) used poorer quality components throughout from what i can see but the build quality, in general was certainly on a par with the Mk2a cars, possibly better.
I could be wrong, just my opinion based on seeing various components and having owned several over the years. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:36 pm

If the MK1 is a MK1C then it may explain the MK1 switch working in a MK2 as the wiring in those cars was very similar.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:46 pm

You have a PM Pat! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi Dave,
Very many thanks. You are obviously an Officer and a Gentleman (and there are very few of us left). Let me know cost and postage - are you happy with Paypal?
regards
Pat

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:05 pm

You're welcome Pat - have sent you another PM about this. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:24 pm

Pat you have a couple of PMs about the switch and postage. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable