Remade bumper bracket

Moderators: guru, SJG

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Remade bumper bracket

Post by Fastback » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:01 pm

For those that have not been following another post in 'wanted' (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14596), I have small quantity of remade bumper brackets to the original design. These have been 3D printed in nylon and a set fitted to my Vitesse. I had these made because having fitted some of the other ones that are available in 'C' section metal, I'm afraid I didn't like them; in the absence of anything else, they are good but need modifying to get a good fit.
That's where these come in;

I am willing to sell an extra set I had made at cost; £20 for two, £40 for all four, both plus postage. It is a little experimental admittedly and in the event of a hefty impact could break (which could actually be beneficial rather than the mounting point on the bumper itself?). Some extra consideration has to taken when fitting, ie not overtightening the bolt but I have a good firm fit with no problems. There are more pictures in the original post.

If anybody would like to join in this ground-breaking development :) , then let me know.

Cheers
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Remade bumper bracket

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:57 am

Going off at a slight tangent Mark, the idea of scuttle panels has already been raised but what about door handle backshells and possibly the handles themselves?

Should be reasonably easy to do the actual handles as they apear to be the same for all doors (except the Coupé, they're longer), the rear backshells appear to be identical, it's the attachment of the lever on the back that changes it from left to right, the fronts are similar except for the keyholes. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:52 pm

Funny you should mention door handles.... :D
It is something we are looking at, although it is early days yet. You may have missed it but I had some springs made for the door handles that are much less tensioned, as the originals are way too strong. It is this constant excessive force that causes them to break. Coupled with a reinforcing plate, I have had no further instance of breaking door handles. I also have repaired broken handles but it does depend how and where the break is. I would strongly recommend that the weaker spring is fitted. This is the original thread;

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11713&p=134755&hil ... gs#p134755

Interested?

The current problem with printing is the quality of the finish. I chose the fine finish for the brackets but it is not good enough for body work. It would need further work with sanding and filler primer etc. But watch this space...
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:35 pm

Going back to the other thread Mark, the conclusion is the springs are too strong for the handles - let's turn that on its head - the handles aren't strong enough for the springs!

Just a different way of looking at it but if you factor in my theory from way back when the other thread was more active, about the regrind plastic etc, the more obvious solution would be make the handles stronger and keep the original spring. It's that strong for a reason and that reason is so it returns "snappily" even if it's a bit stiff from lack of use. It also gives a bit of feedback to the person trying to open the door so they know they've opened it rather than just ripping the handle out of the car! :shock:

OK, that's a slight exaggeration but you see what i mean?

On another note about the finish, i've used some chrome fablon type stuff to revive lamp reflectors pretty successfully and i'm trying to work out a box i can connect to my vacuum cleaner and put a heat source in front of so that the film can be stretched over mirror housings and similar. If i can manage to get that to work, printed handles could be covered in that - chrome door handles anybody? :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:56 pm

I see where you are coming from regarding strength and turning things around. To quote someone quite famous, 'What time does the station arrive at this train?'
I can assure you there is still plenty of feel in the handle and there is nothing limp wristed about it (can we still say that? :shock: :lol: ) . Previously, having made the tensioner plate stronger, the spring then decided to try (successfully) to force it's way through the shell and rip it apart. Of course, all I had done is merely shift the force to another location which then was not up to the job :roll: . It was at that point, I felt a mod to what I percieved to be the problem, was in order. I think I'm right in saying that the MK1 spring was weaker as it certainly was on later RG cars (eg the 45 as mentioned).
It's fair to say 3D printing can only get better, both plastic and metal and could very well be a great boon to us all.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:04 pm

I thought the reason the handles were less pringy on my Mk1s was because the springs were older and had more use! :roll:

Not too familiar with the 25/45/75 although in fairness, those i have known have had a "softer" handle action on the outside. I wonder if this is more of Rovers penny-pinching and switched suppliers to a firm that made the springs a bit stronger?

How would the 3-D printed plastic standa up to being sanded smooth, do you know? Perhaps something like knifing putty would be a good start then sand it smooth to get a nice enough surface to paint?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:23 pm

I really could do with front and rear bumper brackets for the Mk2 Coupe, particularly since this year was the first time the MOT was marked with advisories on these items.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:36 pm

Charles827si wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:23 pm
I really could do with front and rear bumper brackets for the Mk2 Coupe, particularly since this year was the first time the MOT was marked with advisories on these items.
Talk nicely to Mark and buy his spare set of remanufactured ones then Charles! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:56 pm

I believe they are the same on the coupe. You have choices Charles;

1) buy mine, perfect fit :D
2) buy the metal ones on eBay, fiddle to make them fit but it is possible :?
3) make your own :cry:

The decision is yours but the emoticons speak for themselves :lol: .

Let me know if you're interested.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:37 am

Fastback wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:56 pm

4) Find 4, brand new, still in the bag, OE Rover items. :shock: :lol:

Coupé bumper brackets are the same, as are the bumpers themselves. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Fastback wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi Mark, can I buy your perfect fit 3D printed (front and rear) bumper mounts please? :D
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:45 pm

Certainly you may. PM sent.
Mark

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:21 pm

:D Cheers
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:06 am

Any bumper brackets left? I could do with a pair.
800 Saloon, Fastback and Turbo Coupe!

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:59 pm

Hmmm. There could be...
I actually had three sets made, to have a full set in reserve, as a few of the cars in the fleet are getting close for renewal. It might be that your need is greater than my current need, so I could be persuaded. I have the 3D plan registered, it would be just more expensive for me next time. But, that's the kinda guy I am 8) .

I assume you have read my first thread on these, seen the fitting etc and read from the top of this one? I have had no issues and I hope Charles hasn't either, so yes, let's expand this experiment to another party.

Confirm the quantity you want to go ahead with (2 or 4)and I'll PM with full cost including postage etc.
Mark