Brad's 1995 Rover 827Si auto Fastback for sale 59,000 miles

Moderators: guru, SJG

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lord Sterling » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:13 pm

What a story Dan! Only 17 and already on your first 800, and its a 2.7! What I wouldnt give to have some of the cars my parents have had before, in particular my dads old D-reg 825 Sterling (D233KYG - untaxed since around 1997) Your a lucky lad.

Insurance? Well, my current E-reg 825 Sterling is on a Classic Policy costing me around £450 per year compared to £1400 for my mk2 on 'normal' insurance.

At the time I didnt know my mk2 could be insured under a Classic Policy, its something I will be looking into if I get it back on the road.

Lord Sterling

Captain Slow
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Captain Slow » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Lord Sterling wrote:
Insurance? Well, my current E-reg 825 Sterling is on a Classic Policy costing me around £450 per year compared to £1400 for my mk2 on 'normal' insurance.

Lord Sterling

Either you're younger than I thought you were or you live in as bad a postcode as I do with a £1400 quote...

If the former, who's the classic quote on the 825 with?
Sam Skelton
1977 Triumph Stag
1992 SAAB 9000CSE 2.3T
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9D LX
1993 Citroen XM TCT SEi auto
1994 Peugeot 306 1.8XT auto
1996 Jaguar XJR auto
1996 Citroen Xantia Activa
1999 Rover 820Si

BRG
Rover Guru

Post by BRG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:29 pm

Is that Chevette a 2300 HS?

Freewheel
Regular Visitor

Post by Freewheel » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:51 pm

whitelion58 wrote:Dan
and decided to go classic instead. I built him this 1959 Ford 100E ( two years build time) and got it insured in his name for about £400, fully comp

c. 1985 I bought a '57 36k 100E 4 door Prefect [383 BHY] from - would you believe the main local Ford agents. My father had 2 door Popular new in 1962.

Admittedly quaint: but little to recommend it... sucked the fuel; 70 mph top speed-ish - and those vacuum operated screen wipers which stopped on long hills when induction vacuum disappears, along with the fuel.

It was not much less economic than Rover 90: which would go quite well in a spacious comfortable sort of way ...

I can't possibly mention I bought it as a sacrificial classic to drive in the Winter in all the salt and filth - to spare my more valued Rovers...

Oh! and it ran out of petrol once too... on Christmas day in Llangollen...
All the original crossply tyres rotted out: in those days tyre chain Kettering Tyres (now Tyreservices) could supply replacement crassplies for about 2/- apiece... - and the choke tube main jet holder dropped off the carburettor...

All the oil starved top piston rings broke up: and the ring gear had been MIG welded or similar to the flywheel so it chugged every time the clutch was depressed due to thrust bearing wear on the crankshaft.

Only 3 speed too - but reverse was opposite 'forwards': so parking could be easy.
Paul H.
- '49 'Speed' 75

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:48 am

On the subject of insurance, I've got a couple of quotes over the past few days...

My car, my policy, etc - cheapest quote £5,428.63; bit steep?

So I had a look again, only this time in my dad's name, his policy (utilising his no claims ;) ), with me as a new driver on it - £3,645.29!

Expensive quotes I know, but the thing is a 1 litre Suzuki Alto or something along those lines (I have tried to price up EVERY avenue), would set me back at least two grand, so from that perspective is not too bad...still extortionate though.

Is difficult to understand as it's not a boy-racer car in the grand scheme of things - boy-racers tend to avoid Rovers and go for their small, easy to pimp saxo's and the like, not a big old barge! Although if they knew what was under the bonnet and how powerful it was, then who knows :P

Better start selling my bottom...

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi Dan

It might be a case of getting something pretty crap and spending the next few years fiddling with the 827 on the drive until it's a proper classic and you're about 25.
No longer an 800 owner!

Thomas J
Regular Visitor

Post by Thomas J » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:17 pm

DLR wrote:On the subject of insurance, I've got a couple of quotes over the past few days...

So I had a look again, only this time in my dad's name, his policy (utilising his no claims ;) ), with me as a new driver on it - £3,645.29!

Expensive quotes I know, but the thing is a 1 litre Suzuki Alto or something along those lines (I have tried to price up EVERY avenue), would set me back at least two grand, so from that perspective is not too bad...still extortionate though.

Is difficult to understand as it's not a boy-racer car in the grand scheme of things - boy-racers tend to avoid Rovers and go for their small, easy to pimp saxo's and the like, not a big old barge! Although if they knew what was under the bonnet and how powerful it was, then who knows :P

Jesus and I thought my quotes were expensive. Good lick with the insurance keep looking something good might turn up.
i want lots of british cars got 1 want more

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:40 pm

That was my thoughts aswell tbh, but after pricing up a cheap car and insurance for it (similarly aged renault clio, vauxhall corsa, etc) it works about the same costs in total as the insurance does for the 827; but then again, that doesn't include the running costs which would be a bit on the higher side (the parent's reason for selling), therefore making me ambitious with a hint of stupidity.

We'll see what comes about in the meantime, when the time comes the Rover's not an ideal learner car as it is an automatic - buy a little manual with a hamster wheel where the engine should be, bum around in that for a bit and when I have a couple of years experience then think again.

One thing I don't understand is why the quotes are so expensive now, as when I seriously considered this car back in january when we had it up for sale (BB - Before Brad ;) ) the cheapest quote was around two and a half grand, which is still a lot but nothing compared to the sky-high quotes I got this week.

In the end though, I has a project of my own finally! If I go down the smaller car route, the Rover won't be moving even though logic does say sell it. Wonder how the parents will react when I tell them... :P

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Been there done that, glad I'm past it all as well. :lol:

I was 19 when I had my first one so that made it cheaper for me. I was paying £800 to insure a Metro and decided to pay £1200 for an 820 instead.

That was 2000 and the quotes were TPFT.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Captain Slow
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Slow » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm

DLR wrote:On the subject of insurance, I've got a couple of quotes over the past few days...

Luckily, I'm coming up to 19 - and even if I were to buy now I would end up storing the car until after my 19th birthday - I'm covered on my mother's 306 until after then anyway and my insurance should drop further.

The 306 (1.8 auto) is the thick end of £1400 to insure, I've had quotes of not much more for an 827.

Dan, I advise trying to get a named quote on your mother's policy if she drives as it'll be cheaper than your dad's would be. Only for information purposes of course; I can't condone something illegal like insurance fronting even on a car that looks like your parents really DO own it. I'd never think of doing so. :wink:

DLR wrote:We'll see what comes about in the meantime, when the time comes the Rover's not an ideal learner car as it is an automatic - buy a little manual with a hamster wheel where the engine should be, bum around in that for a bit and when I have a couple of years experience then think again
I learned in my instructor's Fiesta then went straight to an auto after passing my test. I'm driven a manual or two briefly since and spending time in an auto did me no harm. When you've learned what to do, it becomes innate - you don't need constant practice.
Sam Skelton
1977 Triumph Stag
1992 SAAB 9000CSE 2.3T
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9D LX
1993 Citroen XM TCT SEi auto
1994 Peugeot 306 1.8XT auto
1996 Jaguar XJR auto
1996 Citroen Xantia Activa
1999 Rover 820Si

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Just testing the water - would anybody be interested in this car?

Only reason I ask is that my long-term storage plans have gone completely out of the window! i.e. the garage has now become unavailable for the forseeable future and the driveway is no place to keep a car long-term, open to the elements and prone to attacks from an over-enthusiastic 4 year old.

Pros: See the first post from Brad.

Cons: Seat leathers showing signs of age and there is a small scratch in the drivers door.
Also, the battery has died where I used the lights to illuminate the garage on a couple of evenings to work on that stupid, useless, shitty chinese turd and I have no access to a charger to replenish it, nor do I have monies to be purchasing a new battery due to funds being zapped by the moped (see above long list of profanities).

More info: see viewtopic.php?t=4485 .

I am well and truly gutted that this may be the only option; this is my dream car, as a family we've grown attached to it, but there is no point in leaving it on the driveway to rot when it is a perfectly good car which does scrub up well considering it is the best part of 15 years old. I am extremely grateful to Brad for helping me out with getting it, but she needs to be enjoyed and not become a garden ornament just for having it's sake!

Anybody interested at £400? You'll need to bring either a battery or some jump leads.

:(

John W
Rover Guru

Post by John W » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Any cambelt history Dan? I see that it's still MOTd and taxed.
Kind Regards

John
------------------------------------------

1996 BMW 525IX Touring (4x4)
1979 Porsche 924
1982 Porsche 924
1985 Porsche 944

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi John - no cambelt history that I am aware of. This was on the list along with a service, but circumstances dictate changes of plans, etc.

Thanks,

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:13 pm

Definately for sale.

It breaks my heart to move her on, but even if I can sort insurance at £350 a month with an £800 deposit, I won't have any fuel money. And even if I buy a smaller runabout and keep it as a hobby for a year or so, I have nowhere realistically to store it. Well I could use the driveway, but then where would the 4 and a half years worth of clutter live? Shed seems sensible, but not allowed one in the garden by order of the landlord :roll:

2 months Tax, 6 months MOT. Needs a battery as it is nackered (charged it up with low amounts of water in it, now won't charge at all). I have a replacement door handle to sort that problem.

Offers?

If nobody is interested, then I shall be cleaning the ash off her and taking some photographs for ebay by the end of the week. PM me for more details.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:20 pm

Oh dear, Dan. So sorry to hear this.

What does the family think?

Brad
No longer an 800 owner!