(Private Plate) Oxford Blue KV6 Coupe manual

Moderators: guru, SJG

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

(Private Plate) Oxford Blue KV6 Coupe manual

Post by Charles827si » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:47 pm

This looks a really nice original KV6 manual coupe and well looked after. (Not messed about like the red coupe manual I have seen before with a silly price tag) Still the seller might have to hold out a while with this one.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... VER&page=1
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: (Private Plate) Oxford Blue KV6 Coupe manual

Post by CHR15E » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:28 am

Wow £5k! I once paid that for an 825 back in 2001.

I think he'll have to be very patient?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:12 pm

A tad high on the price, perhaps, but to be fair it does look rather mint.

With 84k miles it could be one of those with a very late factory or dealer replacement reliable engine?
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:34 pm

I was offered £5k for my 827 coupé a couple of months back............. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:16 am

Good going Dave. Did he seem like a serious sort?
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:20 pm

Hard to tell really Mark, he'd previously sold his 827 coupé that was also White Gold but before he sold it had repainted the bottom half NATO green/Olive Drab/a colour he claimed was a genuine Rover colour (?) so you may remember seeing it on the ebay pages here.

When i mentioned i also had a Sterling saloon he asked what condition that was in and offered similar money, sight unseen. Think he missed the 800 experience somehow!

Since then i've found the owner before this guy of the coupé he painted the wrong colour (think that makes sense, hopefully you get my meaning) and apparently when they sold it therre were no problems with it. When this guy sold it there were several obvious problems and a lot not so obvious. It ended up somewhere in Ipswich being sold by a dealer and has been on Car and Classic and i think ebay a few times since. For those reasons alone i wouldn't have sold him either of mine, especially as everything has been done, except a few minor niggles that you get with any car, only one or two on each though!

When i had the conversation with him he told me he'd just ordered a new MG3 so presumably had the money to back his offer up but nevertheless i still wouldn't have sold! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:29 pm

Yeah well firstly if you don't need the money the car in good condition is def worth more to you.

Think I might remember the dodgy 2 tone coupe, it did look a bit wrong. Sounds like his idea of a perfect car is not the same as ours!
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Don't get me wrong, five grand is always useful but if i sold it to him (or anyone else!) then i wouldn't have a car that i've been after for a long time and in all honesty probably have spent a fair bit (not quite £5k though) getting it right. That's just on parts and consumables, the occasional special tools, paint etc and one bit of welding (so far) for the a new sill to be fitted.
Granted there are a few bits less than perfect but it's 21 years old and those bits could be regarded as "honest patina".

Meanwhile as you rightly say, having the car in good condition and "ready to roll" at a moments notice is vastly more important to me.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:08 pm

Sorry I didn't mean to suggest you were blase about the dosh at all. We are at the stage with 800's where good condition cannot be achieved/maintained without considerable effort and cost. So if you have that, it is worth more than some might think to part with(unless another pressing need exists, of course!)

Where's that barn find mint Mk1c Vitesse Auto I've wanted for years? Sadly I think the more time goes by the less likely it is to ever turn up :roll: If I'd been just a few years older back in the day when they were properly around I'd have a fair few shrink wrapped in long term storage. Gotta dream eh....
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:50 pm

I didn't think for a second you were suggesting i was blase about the money Mark - i realised the point you were making and apologies if i gave that impression. Let's face it, most people could make use of £5k one way or another unless you're a major footballer in which case it's probably an evenings bar-tab!

I was quite lucky with the coupé, it was basically in pretty good condition, neglected and bodged yes but underneath all that, generally good. I've sorted the bodges and repaired, revived and replaced bits until it's as near spot-on as i can get it without spending serious money on something like a respray. I've also improved, upgraded and modified along the way to the point where it has items not even thought of when it was new, running costs similar to a new car 1/3 of its size and can happily hold its own against virtually all "moderns" in most respects.
To replace it with something newer with the same level of comfort, performance and running costs firstly i'd be hard pushed to find such a vehicle and secondly i'd have to spend in excess of £20k for something that would even come anywhere near close. The big drawback with that is i don't like anything modern.

Similar state of play exists with the Sterling although as yet the running costs are still higher (won't be soon! :wink: :D ) and also the Volvo which is about as near as i can find to an 800 estate excluding the fastback of course. The fastback doesn't have the low loading height i need though which puts it out of the running straightaway.

For me that means the bottom line is i have 3 cars which serve my needs how i want/need and can insure them on classic policies for less than a single policy on a modern. Also it would seem they are all an appreciating asset so it's a win-win situation for me.

I still wouldn't buy the Oxford Blue coupé that this thread started about because it's a KV6 though. To me the KV6 is a ticking time-bomb. Yes they have their fans and some would say they are a fine engine. When they're running right, yes they probably are but they are an absolute pig to work on - for example the inlet manifold has to come off to change the thermostat and because of the design of the hoses around it, they can cause the (plastic) 'stat housing to fracture. The 'stat and housing are only available as a complete assembly and need renewing with two plastic pipes that feed into the housing. Then there's the cam/timing belts on the KV6 - all three of them! :wink: :D

As for your Mk1c Vitesse, if you'd been a bit older back then you'd probably have thought they were easy to get hold of and not bothered shrink-wrapping any of them - not that i speak from experience of course! :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:19 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:he told me he'd just ordered a new MG3
:lol: :lol:

I know there is now a dealership in your local town, but what would posses someone to buy one of those things?
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:02 pm

Yes Dave your last point might well be true, I may well have suffered from they'll-always-be-around-itis!

I agree, the KV6 has many difficulties for the DIY-er and you do need to be very careful / lucky regarding the chocolate fireguard CHG / liners etc. I only have one because I wanted the newest best example I could find of an 800 (820, 825 or 827) and this was the best I could find. 21k miles on the clock and 5.5yrs old when I got it in 2004. Also I would have preferred a f/back.

That was the time I realised 800's were getting thin on the ground, and I wasn't even sure I wanted a Mk2, but that was what came up. I remember unregistered 75's could be had at massive mark down but I just never liked them enough. I suppose looking back I may have still found a really good 827 Vitesse back then.

I was completely ignorant of the KV6 problems, but seem so far to have lucked out. You have probably read the snippets of research from a few of us KV6 owners re engine numbers... if it's a very late engine you might be lucky! A large dose of caution and knowledge is needed if considering...
Mark

xpuffin
Regular Visitor

Post by xpuffin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:51 am

This car has been on car and classic for some time now. It's a trade sale but the ads written as though it's private which has my alarm bells ringing straight away.
Much as I'd like to say let's hope it sells, at that price it's got no chance with those miles.
In the last year I have bought an 825 Sterling manual fastback with 32k an 825 Sterling Coupe with 29k and a Vitesse Coupe with 60k for slightly over half what he's asking.
10 Rover 800's now and counting.
2x Mk1 827 Vitesse Fastbacks
3x 825 Coupe
Mk1 827 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Fastback
820 Vitesse Coupe
820 O Series Mk1 Fastback.

xpuffin
Regular Visitor

Post by xpuffin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:55 am

mjc9967 wrote:Yes Dave your last point might well be true, I may well have suffered from they'll-always-be-around-itis!

I agree, the KV6 has many difficulties for the DIY-er and you do need to be very careful / lucky regarding the chocolate fireguard CHG / liners etc. I only have one because I wanted the newest best example I could find of an 800 (820, 825 or 827) and this was the best I could find. 21k miles on the clock and 5.5yrs old when I got it in 2004. Also I would have preferred a f/back.

That was the time I realised 800's were getting thin on the ground, and I wasn't even sure I wanted a Mk2, but that was what came up. I remember unregistered 75's could be had at massive mark down but I just never liked them enough. I suppose looking back I may have still found a really good 827 Vitesse back then.

I was completely ignorant of the KV6 problems, but seem so far to have lucked out. You have probably read the snippets of research from a few of us KV6 owners re engine numbers... if it's a very late engine you might be lucky! A large dose of caution and knowledge is needed if considering...
I've done nearly 5000 miles since doing the hg in one and 1500 in another.....both still running fine no problems at all so I'm beginning to think it's more an operator and installation error that's causing the repeat issues.
(It's vital to check the liner heights before repair though as I do agree that a boiled engine suffers liner drop which is terminal)
10 Rover 800's now and counting.
2x Mk1 827 Vitesse Fastbacks
3x 825 Coupe
Mk1 827 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Fastback
820 Vitesse Coupe
820 O Series Mk1 Fastback.

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:13 am

xpuffin wrote:In the last year I have bought an 825 Sterling manual fastback with 32k an 825 Sterling Coupe with 29k and a Vitesse Coupe with 60k for slightly over half what he's asking.
Is that total or per car?
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5