(Private Plate) Oxford Blue KV6 Coupe manual

Moderators: guru, SJG

deano
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: (Private Plate) Oxford Blue KV6 Coupe manual

Post by deano » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:23 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Hmmm, i don't think you're cured Chris. Been doing a bit of thinking about people i know who have 800s including some members that although i haven't met, i have exchanged PMs with and come up with the following symptoms of suffering "800-itis" :

1) Multiple ownership
2) Dog ownership
3) Trailer/camper/caravan ownership
4) Volvo (usually estate) or Jeep Cherokee/similar 4x4 ownership
5) Parts hoarding
6) Serial Rover ownership

I`m guilty on 4 counts out of 6 there...

never owned no.3
and I don't do dogging :lol:
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:57 am

4 out of 6 for me too. Oh dear, do I need to see a doctor or a psychiatrist?

An MP4-12C? I want to go round Xpuffin's house to play with his toys! :lol:
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:46 am

traineefarmer wrote:4 out of 6 for me too. Oh dear, do I need to see a doctor or a psychiatrist?

Neither - just a daily "fix" of an 800! :wink: :lol:

The penny finally dropped on the MP4-12C - I bet it's manual so i can't play with it anymore :cry:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

xpuffin
Regular Visitor

Post by xpuffin » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:59 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
traineefarmer wrote:4 out of 6 for me too. Oh dear, do I need to see a doctor or a psychiatrist?

Neither - just a daily "fix" of an 800! :wink: :lol:

The penny finally dropped on the MP4-12C - I bet it's manual so i can't play with it anymore :cry:
It's automatic :D
Truth be told I'm just as happy driving any of the Rovers as any of my other cars. There's something special about them afaik (possibly the fact they seem to be universally derided by people who have never even driven one.)
10 Rover 800's now and counting.
2x Mk1 827 Vitesse Fastbacks
3x 825 Coupe
Mk1 827 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Fastback
820 Vitesse Coupe
820 O Series Mk1 Fastback.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:22 am

I'm on my way! :lol:

A very valid point about the people who usually denegrate Rovers, they usually drive Frog-mobiles or Kraut-wagens and have never driven a Rover of any description.
Having driven many Frog-mobiles and also worked on them, i can definitely say they're not a patch on any Rover and also the only trouble i've had mechanically with any Rover had a Froggy engine and gearbox (218 SDturbo) - also with the exception of the fusebox, almost all the electrical gremlins on 800s are with pieces of French kit - Valeo.

Despite all the jibes about Lucas being the "Prince of Darkness" the only real problem with the fuseboxes is lead-free solder. That was introduced and insisted upon by the Europeans, predominantly the French and Germans.

It's a conspiracy i tell you! :wink: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:25 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Hmmm, i don't think you're cured Chris. Been doing a bit of thinking about people i know who have 800s including some members that although i haven't met, i have exchanged PMs with and come up with the following symptoms of suffering "800-itis" :

1) Multiple ownership
2) Dog ownership
5) Parts hoarding

Any or all of these symptoms may or may not be present at any given time. The ownerships above refer to either past, present or future desire to.
As a straw poll of the three other people within 30 miles of me that i know, three out of 4 of us (including myself) have at least 2 800s, at least one dog, two have owned/currently own a Volvo estate and/or a 4x4 and all 4 of us have a parts hoard of some description.

If you only have one of the symptoms (eg 1 800 and 1 dog) you have a relatively mild case of 800-itis. Two to three symptoms is average and four or more is a severe case of 800-itis for which there is no known cure except more 800s. :wink: :D

Personally i think i have terminal 800-itis - 2 800s, 2 dogs, a trailer, Volvo estate and a parts hoard. Also previously owned a pop-up camper (glorified trailer tent), Jeep Cherokee and three previous Volvo estates (oops! :oops: Make that 4!), a reasonably big parts stash and have owned Rovers on and off for 30+ years. :wink: :D
Because my car situation is massively different to what it was I've decided to do a past and present of the list.

Past

1) Multiple ownership
57 800s over 12 years, not counting those owned by friends and family at the time. I forget now the record of how many at once but 11 rings a bell. Plus other cars I should add. 14 cars and a van was my record at any one time.

2) Dog ownership
No, never. My Mum is allergic to pet hair and that sort of stopped that from an early age.

Rover trailer plus large tent so definitely on this one.

5 V70 estates I think, 3 Jeeps and 2 Ford Explorers.

5) Parts hoarding
Off the top of my head enough to make about 6 cars at one point. Not counting any spares cars I also had. Stored wherever I could find space, 2 rented garages, loft, sheds and even in cars when I ran out of space. Far too many that's for sure.

No, aside 800s I was never actually a big Rover fan as such. My Dad was over time. P6, SD1 and then 800s. Multiple of each over the years.

Aside a 220 Sli I bought to sell I can't think of anything else I've had. I did have 3 Metros but they were all Austin era so don't really count?

Present

1) Multiple ownership
No, as of last Friday when the Transit went I now only own one car! The first time since I started driving that this has been the case. Which was early 2000. Though I do have 3 trailers though. :D

2) Dog ownership
As above.

As above.

Nothing now, all sold or scrapped after realising that generally speaking they were crap. Plus thirsty and not particularly quick. I did like the Explorers more but they proved a pain to keep on the road so gave up.

5) Parts hoarding
Not any longer, aside a set of panels and lights for the trailer everything else went when I sold up. With doing less/no car work now I have very little. When I've needed things for the Mondeo I've just bought them as and when. Rear wiper motor as an example.

As above.

Overall I'd say that's a bit different to the past? For several years most people that knew me thought I had a genuine problem with all the cars/parts etc. Now they wonder what's happened for me to sell up and think I'm ill for different reasons. :D

Honest answer is I was bored and had enough, I do actually think of it as like an addiction. I joke and say I overdosed, which I think to an extent is true. My problem was I had no one saying no so just did what I felt like which ultimately meant I bought too much.

Cured? Maybe not 100% but certainly better than I was. :D
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:00 pm

Oh dear - he's in denial! :shock: :lol:

Joking aside that's how it goes sometimes, for many years when i had the space i had at least one other car (sometimes a van) besides my main car and that was often in addition to a company van.
Then for several years i just had the one car, bought bits as and when they were needed and then i bought the Sterling. It's all changed since!
Now i have to confess i actually have too many parts in as much as i have several duplicate parts so will probably list some of them on fleabay once i've sorted through them. Need my garage back!
Other stuff i'll probably offer free on here to whoever collects and bin the rest - stuff that is hardly, if ever going to be wanted/needed but is currently taking up much needed space.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:46 pm

On points 3 and 4:

3) Trailer/camper/caravan ownership. - If you count the agricultural stuff, I've got 7 plus a car trailer. I sort of own a caravan - my wife uses it for storage, but I do have a caravan site on my land.

4) The XC is a Volvo, an estate and 4x4.

And yet I only have one 800. I fear the disease may have mutated.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:06 pm

You also have cows instead of dogs - definite mutation! :shock: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:17 pm

I suppose they're pretty similar, just less teeth and more slobber. :lol:
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:25 pm

traineefarmer wrote:I suppose they're pretty similar, just less teeth and more slobber. :lol:
.......and need bigger poop-scoops! :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:59 pm

I am probably quite mild then, I have only 1 800, 1 dog, very few spares.. in the past lots of sd1's but only ever 1 at a time.. I do however have a morris and an mg but from before the "rover years" .... lol
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:50 pm

That counts as "Serial Rover Ownership" Rick! :wink: :lol:

One 800, one dog, serial ownership and a stash of parts?
That's another one got it bad! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate