L reg 827 Sterling

Moderators: guru, SJG

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: L reg 827 Sterling

Post by mercedade » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:34 pm

In (nearly) 20 years of driving, the only way I can see the kind of fuel I use making any difference to the lifespan of my cars would be if I used it for washing the thing. I've not once had a fuel/lambda/engine internals-related issue and I mix up my fuels all the time - ASDA, Tesco, Shell, whatever.

I imagine my view would be slightly different I were driving a highly tuned monster relying on minuscule tolerances, and particularly if it were diesel monster where I can much more readily see the benefit of premium additives, but the difference between the 'standard' Shell additives and whatever Tesco put in their standard petrol? I've not seen anything to convince me to only buy branded fuels.

I can definitely see the point in buying super unleaded - and do, often.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

deano
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by deano » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:48 pm

How do you know what comes out of that hose...
No matter what it says on the sign above .
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:50 pm

Every time i've used Tesco fuel (under protest i hasten to add) i've ended up renewing at least one, if not both Lambda sensors very soon after. Also the mpg returned on Tesco fuel is only about 2/3 - 3/4 what i get on BP Ultimate - 23mpg on Tesco (normal or super unleaded) and 30mpg+ on normal BP and 34mpg on Ultimate. Even on the Volvo i'm getting 22-25mpg doing very short runs (if not a lot more) and i have seen 35mpg on a reasonably good run on Ultimate - best on normal unleaded was 27mpg and i darent put Tesco in as it would drink more than Oliver Reed in a desert! :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:24 pm

deano wrote:How do you know what comes out of that hose...
No matter what it says on the sign above .
The only products that will definitely be what they say they are are the branded premium fuels - Ultimate, Vpower, Supreme, Excellium, etc. The oil companies carefully protect these brands and spend a lot of money advertising them, in fact you may note that the oil companies don't really advertise regular fuels anymore only the premium products.

With most forecourts being franchises often owned by large groups rather than the oil companies themselves, the regular fuel is supplied by the lowest bidder and could literally be anything. Only the premium fuels will be supplied by the oil company who's name is on the totem.

Source - my independent bulk fuels supplier.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:33 pm

No point advertising standard fuel, we all need it anyway... bit like oxygen

They promote the other stuff cos they want you to think its a extra benefit to ya (at a cost of course)

I`m still doubtful as to what you actually get,
bit like pubs watering the beer down or filling up the Jack Daniels bottles with cheap whiskey.

I`m just a disbeliever :?
Last edited by deano on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------
Previously
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:37 pm

traineefarmer wrote: With most forecourts being franchises often owned by large groups rather than the oil companies themselves, the regular fuel is supplied by the lowest bidder and could literally be anything. Only the premium fuels will be supplied by the oil company who's name is on the totem.
Adds weight to the argument really - no point in getting het up about the evils of supermarket fuels if you're then buying standard Shell/Esso whatever, which is likely to be precisely the same stuff, additives and all.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:54 am

mercedade wrote:
traineefarmer wrote: With most forecourts being franchises often owned by large groups rather than the oil companies themselves, the regular fuel is supplied by the lowest bidder and could literally be anything. Only the premium fuels will be supplied by the oil company who's name is on the totem.
Adds weight to the argument really - no point in getting het up about the evils of supermarket fuels if you're then buying standard Shell/Esso whatever, which is likely to be precisely the same stuff, additives and all.
You can still sniff out some good regular fuels with a bit of research. Find out who actually owns your local forecourt and look into their fuel sourcing policy. If you are lucky enough to have an independent, the manager might know if the full range of fuels are bought from the same branded suppiler.

From my own digging I've been led to believe the following:

Shell - some forecourts are strongly linked to the oil company and will likely have exclusively Shell fuels, especially if they were formally a Total or if they are attached to a Waitrose.

BP - More likely to have genuine BP regular with an M&S shop. Very unlikely if there is a Hursts.

Total - If there are any left (?) then genuine fuels.

Esso - Haven't been able to find any reliable information.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:03 am

traineefarmer wrote:
mercedade wrote:
You can still sniff out some good regular fuels with a bit of research. Find out who actually owns your local forecourt and look into their fuel sourcing policy. If you are lucky enough to have an independent, the manager might know if the full range of fuels are bought from the same branded suppiler.

From my own digging I've been led to believe the following:

Shell - some forecourts are strongly linked to the oil company and will likely have exclusively Shell fuels, especially if they were formally a Total or if they are attached to a Waitrose.

BP - More likely to have genuine BP regular with an M&S shop. Very unlikely if there is a Hursts.

Total - If there are any left (?) then genuine fuels.

Esso - Haven't been able to find any reliable information.
I should add that this is all anecdotal and may not be reliable. It seems to be the case for stations around here. It'd be interesting to see what the situation is around the country.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:26 am

I was wondering how it would work at Fiveways roundabout Tom. On the northbound A11 approach there is a Total station about 200 yards from the roundabout. On the east side of the roundabout there is a (formerly Total) new-ish (about 5 years i think) Esso station. On the west side of the roundabout there is a newer Shell (under 2 years old) station.

If all of them have brand-x fuel, the tanker driver will be going round in circles! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:05 pm

That roundabout is barmy enough for anything to be true! Is there still another fuel station in Mildenhall/Barton Mills?

I wonder how they all manage to keep trading? Must be the Americans with their Gas-Guzzlers.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:18 pm

There are in fact two more petrol stations in Mildenhall - one Esso (yes, another one!) and a Jet. There are a fair few Challengers, Chargers, Durangos, RAMs, Mustangs, Explorers, Luminas, Blazers and so on, all of which could drink the oil fields dry without any help but many of the USAF personnel drive "hire cars" rented to them locally for upwards of about £45/week that Uncle Sam kindly pays for.
Some of them even buy UK cars to run about in so not all of them are running about in big-block V8s doing 10mpg.

All that said, there's enough USAF people round these parts to happily keep all the petrol stations going quite happily and the three near/on Fiveways catch a lot of passing trade as well. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar
Rover Guru

Post by zcar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:25 pm

So I was passing the Shell garage last night in need of some fuel so took the V-Power option, which was great as I'm getting 6x points as well. It cost me £4.80 extra to fill up with V-Power over standard Unleaded, so I only need to increase my mpg by 2 to have recovered the cost plus some. Last economy reading I made was 23mpg which was on Tesco's unleaded. Usually I'm nearer 25mpg on Murco or BP unleaded.
I will let you know how this tank goes, but I'll try and run three tanks of V-Power back to back to see any significant improvement. :wink:

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Funny enough...
I put in 30 litres of shell V power in on Monday....
1.30 a Litre :(

Car don't run any different .

I only ever half fill the tank, in case the filler neck is leaking....
------------------
Previously
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Pull fuse "S" from the underbonnet fusebox for at least 5 minutes Dean, then see how it goes.

Better still, pull it when you get to work, leave it inside the car (sat by the speedo would be good so you'd see it) and replace it before you leave in the evening. It won't start with it out so that's why i said leave it by the speedo. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar
Rover Guru

Post by zcar » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:35 pm

So I'm guessing it wont adjust as quick if Fuse S isn't pulled then Dave?