IBAY - automated last minute bidding on ebay for free

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dodgyvinyl
Regular Visitor

IBAY - automated last minute bidding on ebay for free

Post by dodgyvinyl » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:55 pm

Some of you might already use this. If you don't and don't use something similar, you are missing out.

....just in case, I thought this instructional might help.

As an ebay seller for 7 years, i hate this.

As a regular ebay buyer, I love it.

Basically, this service places a bid on any auction for you at whatever point in time you tell it to. There are many pc programs which do the same thing but they require your pc to be on and with a good internet connection at the time of the bid.

There are also a couple of competitors, none of whom I have tried and so can't recommend.

Here's what you do.

1. Goto www.myibay.com and setup.
2. Download and install the add-on for whatever browser you have (ie, firefox and opera supported).
3. Bid in one of the following ways.....
a) If you just want one item.....
You will notice that you now have a button on the item page which says "snipe it". Click it and a box pops up. Enter the amount you want to pay and how many seconds before the end you want to bid. That's it.
b) If you want...say...a pair of MP3 sunglasses...there are loads on there. Go to myibay.com and add in the auctions you want to watch, set them as a group and set the amount you would like to pay. IBAY will continue to bid until you win one or two or however many you want and then stop.

I have been using this service for about 3 months with 100% success rate. Previously, I used an automated bidding program, with about a 90% success rate.

I imagine that at some point in the future, this will become a chargeable service, it's hard to see any other significant income streams they might have....

...but for now, it's free.....and really good.

I find this really useful for items which end at strange times, like 4am, bargains are often to be had. I posted this after reading that Brad missed out on a car as he forgot to bid...although I'm pretty sure I have mentioned this to him in person recently.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Carl

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:20 pm

Looks interesting, I'll try that.

I was watching an auction that finished at 02.43 the other day so this could help.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

dodgyvinyl
Regular Visitor

Post by dodgyvinyl » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:30 pm

cool.

ps. when you get to the web page, don't download the standalone windows version, just run from the website...the standalone version will require your pc to be on to make the bid.

----------------
Now playing: Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
via FoxyTunes

Richard C
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Richard C » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:30 pm

just testing jbid, but can't find anything cheap enought to test it on. LOL
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:34 pm

dodgyvinyl wrote:cool.

ps. when you get to the web page, don't download the standalone windows version, just run from the website...the standalone version will require your pc to be on to make the bid.
Now he tells me. ;)
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

dodgyvinyl
Regular Visitor

Post by dodgyvinyl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:46 am

Just a quick update from the nice bloke at myibay...

"First, thank you for recommending this service to other people, I really appreciate it.
My plans are continue providing a free service. My main incomes are selling Windows software (I currently develop one for Mac also) and donations (although, donations are not popular as many people prefer to buy the software and have something in return)."

...so it looks like this will remain free for the forseeable.

Bizarrely, the chap also rejected my offer of investment and discouraged a cash donation.

Carl.
Volvo V70 / S70 / 850 / C70 - several breaking - eBay user ID "Volbits".
Volvo V70 T5 TD - My daily driver

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:44 am

Odd, but charming.
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi
1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i

CD-Pete
Regular Visitor

Post by CD-Pete » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:07 pm

I've had a butches at this site & they're asking for your ebay user name & password. Er no, ebay clearly state to never give your password to anyone. I personally wouldn't trust this site at all :twisted:
CURRENTLY BREAKING A VITESSE COUPE. PM WITH YOUR NEEDS.

rickt500
Rover Guru

Post by rickt500 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:15 pm

Yeah, I guessed that would be the sticking point. They'll need those details to place the bids for you.

Can't say I'd want to put my details in either.
Richard T

1949 Rover 60
1989 820e T16 Conversion
1972 Rover 2000 project

dodgyvinyl
Regular Visitor

Post by dodgyvinyl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:53 pm

I have been using this for over a year now with no issues.

There's not a lot anyone can do with your ebay password, nothing that can't be corrected.

If anyone would like to check my ebay id: knockoutgifts ...you'll see I have rather more to lose than most if this were a scam of some sort.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:06 pm

I've used something similar for about 3 years now. When you first sign up it's free for the first 3 successful snipes, then it's on a commission based system. I think it works out about 1% of the final value of the item you win. The system i use does not require you to have your pc on so it's ideal for auctions that end at silly o'clock in the morning or even if you are going away for a few days. They use purpose built servers to bid on behalf of the user so there's no download needed. Obviously for that purpose they need your ebay screen name and password. I would have no hesitation in recommending them, even with the meagre fees they charge, it's still saved me a fortune from not being in a bidding war. One little bonus is you can gain free snipes by passing it on to friends/family etc. If anybody is interested in this one, PM me and i'll send a link to it (got to gain some free snipes somehow, lol!!).
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

dodgyvinyl
Regular Visitor

Post by dodgyvinyl » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 am

Just a quick note to say this service is still active and free.

3 years in, I have had 100% success with it.

----------------
Now playing: Steve Earle - Where I Lead Me
via FoxyTunes

dodgyvinyl
Regular Visitor

Post by dodgyvinyl » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:41 pm

Just an update. almost 5 years I've been using this now.

Just used to snap up a starter motor for the Frontera.