Magazine articles, history etc.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Production totals

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:27 am

dollysprint wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:
The bit about the Si/SLi being lumped together is interesting. Am i right in thinking a Class 4 interior denotes leather? Would that make an 827 SLi with factory leather a rare one even when new?
We could all look up How many left.com to give a ball park figure I suppose, although its accuracy is questionable as it only lists sorn and tax which does leave some cars slipping through the net.
The class system for Rover 800's and there corresponding chassis letters are as follows;-

C = STERLING or class 8
Z = SLI or class 7
W= VITESSE high spec or lux or class 5
S = SI or vitesse standard or class 3.1
H= i or class 2

Options wouldn't alter the chassis code, but a leather clad non sterling would be rare as would a cloth clad sterling, which was also an option.

Dave
What about on a build sheet? If i take a photo of the build sheet could you confirm it had leather from the factory?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dollysprint » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Anything could help and I'd like to see it.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dollysprint » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Paul
I will try to break the Vitesse figures down further, as you will see the 200ps models are currently undefined in terms of build date pre and post 96. I need to do the same for 827 Si and SLi too.
As for 180 Vitesse's and the 200's for that matter I will eventually be able to give the final chassis numbers and dates for both, in fact I'll be able to give the final chassis numbers for all models in the Mk2 range.
Mk1's be they A,B or C are more difficult as I have no where near the same data on these, but I may be able to ball park that figure given time. Time however is my problem at the moment so bear with me.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

david vincent
Regular Visitor

Post by david vincent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:04 pm

if it helps any mine is still on the road production number 256370
820 si 16v manual saloon
David
Rover 820 si 16v White Gold 2
S Reg
Manual gearbox (new clutch and cambelt 112,000)
118,300 miles
Had it 10 years, according to DVLA last one of this version registered on Uk roads 6 Sorned 1 in N Ireland Sorned so 7 Sorned in total

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:10 pm

dollysprint wrote:
In the same way there is no explanation why Rover started Mk2 production at chassis number 100001, built consecutive to 117697 then in the middle of 1992 suddenly missed nearly 33000 chassis numbers and restarted at 150001.

Dave
Not sure if this has already been suggested, but could this be from when assembly transferred from North Works (once Morris Motors, now a business park) to the Body Plant, now MINI Plant Oxford? That happened in 1992 and I'm just taking an educated guess.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:43 pm

dollysprint wrote:Anything could help and I'd like to see it.

Dave

I forgot about this thread (in the days we weren't getting notifications) and didn't see your reply Dave, sorry! I no longer have the car but am in fairly contastant touch with the new owner and as such might be able to borrow the build sheet for "The Imposter" as his car has been nicknamed as it is almost Sterling spec but without being a Sterling. It also had 6 spoke Vit Sport 17" alloys, again from new i believe. Not sure if you could do anything with the reg but it is M61 ORX :

In dire need of a wash there! :oops: By the way, for your records, V878 JPU, the green 825 Sterling Fastback (VIN ending 260878) you mention earlier in the thread was stolen by the DVLA a few months back, despite being parked on private land. So if your baked beans taste of 825, you know why! It's the DVLAs fault!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:28 am

So Project Shitesse is one of only 42 Manual 827 Sterling Fastbacks ever made!

I also count only 1056 827 manuals in total. Less than 1% of MkII total.

Thank you very much for your hard work putting this list together - it's a really interesting resource!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:06 am

Alucard7002 wrote:So Project Shitesse is one of only 42 Manual 827 Sterling Fastbacks ever made!

I also count only 1056 827 manuals in total. Less than 1% of MkII total.

Thank you very much for your hard work putting this list together - it's a really interesting resource!

Maybe we should "Car SOS" you like Steve threatened! :lol: It would certainly save one of 42 from the strip or being bean cans. Also can't wait to see Fuzz Townshend welding new inner and out sills, wheel arches and so on and him saying something along the lines of "this has had some really poor quality repairs" in his not-quite Brummy monotone! Would certainly be a challenge!

Joking aside, do the figures give you even a slight nudge into saving it? I know the body is pretty far gone and to do the repairs correctly would take a lot of time and money (or Car SOS! :lol: ) or perhaps laying it up for several years, doing bits here and there but imagine bringing it out, all restored to factory spec and looking like it's just come out of the showroom in say 10 years time.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:27 pm

I'll save the VIN plate and Bulkhead plate. Who knows If I can get a council lockup I may just whack the engine, 'box and loom in storage along with the subframes.

That way when I sell the 820 in a few years someone who REALLY wants to "save" the Shitesse can reshell it using the 820 - bonus as it comes with the LPG kit installed too!

Honestly not worth doing anything to the shell. It's too far gone, both rear inner arches are completely shot as are the chassis rails front and rear.
If panels were readily available like below, then it is doable to fix an original shell (economically, anything can be done with enough time/money)

http://twistdmetal.com/plymouth/70-plym ... aint-body/

Car SOS would be looking for a donor vehicle anyhow - wouldn't be the first time they've re shelled a car!

Perhaps I'll send it in anyway for laughs!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:50 pm

Should be fairly easy to get a council lock up - fit your own extra locks though! :wink: :D

This seems to be the only available body shell part still available from Rimmers and i don't think any of the pattern manufacturers make anything at all :

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ALA410930

Economical? At that kind of price? Maybe not! Maybe allbrit.de might have a few RHD fastback shells floating around but i doubt it.

Knowing Fuzz Townshend he'd probably lose the LPG set up and refit the boot floor anyway! :cry:

Got to be worth sending it in or a laugh though!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

kevaldershot

Post by kevaldershot » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:41 pm

Hello all, I have been reading with interest all the posts regarding VIN numbers and their quirks....... my Sterling was registered on 06/09/1999 VIN: 259966................ confused as to whether it is one of the lucky few fitted with the more reliable head gasket?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm afraid there's no way of knowing unless you strip it down or look at the edge of the gasket for a small tab that sticks out. I can't quite remember where the tab is but i'm sure it's about as easy to find as a black dog on a dark night down a rabbit hole!

The other problem is that "back in the day" the K-Series had such a reputation for HGF that if it went into a garage for anything i think they changed them by default, whether it was giving problems or not!
"Every time i use the brakes, i get a grinding noise"
"<sharp intake of breath through clenched teeth> Yes Sir, that will be the head gaskets, they fail frequently on this model".

As such the head gaskets may well have been changed either for the MLS/Klinger gasket (the better one with the tab) or possibly for the first gaskets that came to hand in the wholesalers.

All isn't necessarily lost though as there is a school of thought saying that if the liners haven't moved, the original, standard head gasket will be better than the MLS gasket. If they have moved and "settled" further down the MLS is the one to go for.

I think!

I might have that back to front but i'm sure someone with better knowledge of the KV6 will be along at some point and explain it better! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:40 pm

If it's still working now, chances are it'll be fine.

The rep back in the day was terrible. I had one which was 4 years old way back when and had the gaskets done at 42K from memory. The garage told me the engine had been in bits before when they stripped it.

There's all sorts of stories on them. People having them swapped under warranty when the car was just in for a service without the owners knowing. New engines sometimes as well I think?

It's a good engine if you have a good one. I never trusted another though personally.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

kevaldershot

Post by kevaldershot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:14 pm

Thanks for your comments both......
Hopefully my one will be back on the road soon!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:39 pm

kevaldershot wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:14 pm
Thanks for your comments both......
Hopefully my one will be back on the road soon!
Would an educated guess that your head gaskets have gone be right then? Or have you got some symptoms but not all?

The radiator caps can cause problems, as can the thermostats (the housings and pipes to/from the housings break, it's all under the inlet manifold) causing leaks, overheating and high pressure within the cooling system. Also if the system hasn't been flushed in a while or has had a mix of ethylene glycol (blue or green) antifreeze and the new OAT antifreeze (the red stuff) then there is likely be blockages due to the two different coolants gelling together and/or sludge/silt in the system.

With a few more clues we might be able to save you a lot of work. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate