The Sad End To Our Beloved Manufacturer

Magazine articles, history etc.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
urbanviking
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Sad End To Our Beloved Manufacturer

Post by urbanviking » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:27 pm

I came across this in todays internet trawlings, not directly 800 related but Rover nonetheless http://www.digitaldisarray.co.uk/thread ... tory.4080/
72 Rover 2000SC
91 Rover 827 Vitesse Auto
Too many motorcycles
www.digitaldisarray.co.uk

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Sad End To Our Beloved Manufacturer

Post by SJG » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks for the link, rather depressing isn't it.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:23 pm

:( :(

Kate :(

why :?:
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

Dajazar
Rover Guru

Post by Dajazar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Pics aren't coming up for me. Too painful perhaps/ :(
Tracy
Love my cars
Rover 827 Sterling SOLD
Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 For Sale
Honda CRV 2.0

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:08 pm

Even 9 years on I am convinced more could have been done to rescue the company, particularly in light of how much was spent supporting RBS, HBOS, Northern Rock et al. Taxpayers also prop up all the private rail companies and Network Rail to the tune of several hundred million a year.

The scrappage scheme basically propped up the Foreign companies that own Skoda and Hyundai who used it as a way of flogging their cheapest cars for buttons, if Rover had survived it could have knocked out CityRover MK2s (which were vastly better) at £4500, Rover 25s for £6499 and ZRs from £7999. They would have seriously cleaned up!
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:50 pm

Scrappage was a pretty idiotic scheme and with hindsight, unnecessary. But you can't place the importance of saving the country's major banks in the same catagory as saving MG Rover. If any of those had fallen, the domino effect from the bank's business lendings and investments would have placed the UK in a worse postion than Greece found itself in.

The final death throes of MGR were terribly sad for us enthusiasts, and surely devestating to those who lost their jobs and pensions, but now with the resurgence in vehicle manufacturing in this country, the hard fact is - their contribution to the country's balance sheet is hardly missed.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:11 pm

We are one of the leading countries in the world and we don't make our own cars !!!!!
France has 3 main manufacturers, Germany 4. Who knows how many the Americans and Japanese have. Spain, Italy,Korea all make them.

An industry that dominates the globe, that we once dominated with our Austins, Rovers and Rileys and now we do not have a product.

Something seriously wrong there in my eyes. :(

Kate :D
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:15 pm

TDHFastback wrote:We are one of the leading countries in the world and we don't make our own cars !!!!!
France has 3 main manufacturers, Germany 4. Who knows how many the Americans and Japanese have. Spain, Italy,Korea all make them.

An industry that dominates the globe, that we once dominated with our Austins, Rovers and Rileys and now we do not have a product.

My view entirely Kate, well put.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:06 pm

The thing we can be proud of is that the manufacturing base we have here is stronger than ever, whilst its run by foreign powers, we seem to be doing the right thing as regards productivity. GM moved ALL Astra production here to Ellesmere some years ago simply because we make the cars better than the Germans do. Some of Nissan's best sellers are made here in Washington. Toyota in Derby simply can't make the cars fast enough.

I am especially proud of what is being achieved at Jaguar Land Rover as I have family there, Paul has been at Solihull since the mid 1990s and has seen all the ups and downs, whilst they may be owned by TATA these days, he tells me the place is so full of ex Rover people it might as well still be Rover!

Spain's industry is the same as ours, owned by a foreign power, the French firms all have help from the Government, in direct contravention of the EU rules and the Italians are in bed with so many other firms, one false move and they will be closed down overnight simply by removal of investment.
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:17 am

TDHFastback wrote:We are one of the leading countries in the world and we don't make our own cars !!!!!

The more I read about the story of Austin and Morris right through to the fall of MG Rover and its echos throughout the British motor industry, the more I believe that it should be taught as history in schools. The story of inept management, ignorant or downright corrupt political maneuvering, self serving union leaders and even alleged links to the Soviet Union has been interwoven with the great events of the last century and the lessons that can be learned from it are vital.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:41 pm

If I remember correctly, the UK now manufactures more cars per year than at at any other time in history. Sadly that is mostly for foreign owners but it is also predominately done by British workers using British sourced parts and has a huge impact upon the UK economy.

France may have 3 major manufacturers (more realistically 2 as Peugeot and Citroen are one company) but I doubt very much that Peugeot/Citroen will be French owned in 2 years from now. Germany really only has 3: BMW, Daimler Benz and VAG (which owns Audi and Porsche). They are the only, truly solvent car manufacturers in Europe as the rest being propped up by American Money (Ford, FIAT and Opel) or Chinese money (Volvo and the comedy turns that are MG and Saab).
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT