tony pond isle of man vitesse 100mph record

Magazine articles, history etc.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
midnite
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

tony pond isle of man vitesse 100mph record

Post by midnite » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:41 am

http://youtu.be/5NEskpWsMkI

probably seen before, but thought id link it anyway, shows how good an 827 really was eh?
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: tony pond isle of man vitesse 100mph record

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:20 pm

It's bookmarked on my youtube app on my phone and has been watched countless times!

The car itself still exists but now runs a 2.0 T-Series turbo. Some contest whether it is the actual car but it is certainly very similar and if it wasn't the actual car used, it was probably a "back up" car.

It's gained a few stickers but the story goes roughly that it was sold to Thruxton Race Track at some point and they used it as a Pace Car. They then sold it off to the person who now owns it. I seem to recall that he also said Snetterton Circuit had it for a while before Thruxtion and also that it raced there as well but i can't remember exactly so may be wrong on that last bit.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

midnite
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by midnite » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:31 pm

wonder if he would sell it. get rid of that 2.0 turbo lump though, put the v6 hyperdrive back in it.
fleet now includes

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:38 pm

I still have this on tape, oddly the single remaining video tape I own. How times change?

Anyone want it? Little point keeping it seeing as I don't own a VCR. :D
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:41 pm

i got tons of vhs left, entire series of sapphire and steele, and blakes 7 and i aint watched em yet.
fleet now includes

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:47 pm

I stopped using tapes years back when I got a DVD recorder, before that for buying them.

I was thinking of selling off my DVDs now. Till I saw how little they were worth. :cry:

I cheat and download everything practically unless it's something I really want/like.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:55 pm

CHR15E wrote:I still have this on tape, oddly the single remaining video tape I own. How times change?

Anyone want it? Little point keeping it seeing as I don't own a VCR. :D
PM sent! :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:59 pm

midnite wrote:wonder if he would sell it. get rid of that 2.0 turbo lump though, put the v6 hyperdrive back in it.
He might i suppose. I'll have a rummage through the archives and see if i still have his contact details - bought a set of wheels from him about 18 months back via ebay so should have something somewhere. He hinted his wife wanted him to stop racing so it might have been gathering dust since and selling to a fellow enthusiast might be enough to decide him.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:16 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
midnite wrote:wonder if he would sell it. get rid of that 2.0 turbo lump though, put the v6 hyperdrive back in it.
He might i suppose. I'll have a rummage through the archives and see if i still have his contact details - bought a set of wheels from him about 18 months back via ebay so should have something somewhere. He hinted his wife wanted him to stop racing so it might have been gathering dust since and selling to a fellow enthusiast might be enough to decide him.
I am in fairly regular contact with the owner, due to family commitments he has not raced it recently but would like to get back into it.

Pretty sure it is the original car. He swopped the engine as the v6 was getting tired and he reckons the 2 litre performs better. He still has the original engine.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:24 pm

well if you do chat with him simon, then sound him out, see if he would sell it, wonder if he has the original interior as well, see what he wants for the car as would be interested.
fleet now includes

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:17 pm

That video is on my account, Tony Pond is such a "legend" and that lap is amazing, I edited the DVD to reduce it to under 10 minutes the limit at that time, was sure it would be deleted.
Thanks for adding those pictures Dave, I have wasted many hours trying to find info on that car.
I would really like to know more about it, particularly the suspension.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:24 am

820Vitesse wrote:That video is on my account, Tony Pond is such a "legend" and that lap is amazing, I edited the DVD to reduce it to under 10 minutes the limit at that time, was sure it would be deleted.
Thanks for adding those pictures Dave, I have wasted many hours trying to find info on that car.
The suspension? Standard height (i think) uprated Vitesse springs (1990 spec), slightly uprated 1990 Vitesse shocks and the bit that makes it corner so flat - 1996-on Vitesse Sport spec (also Police and Diesel spec) anti roll bars, 26mm front, 21mm rear. Simples!
Bear in mind the standard ride height for a Vitesse was 20mm lower than the rest of the range and the shocks were slightly stiffer too (20% rings a bell for some reason with a shorter travel to allow for the 20mm lower ride) and the 1990 Vitesse spring rate would be about the same as the Mk2 Sterling with the Mk2 Vitesse being stiffer again and then the 1996 on Vit Sport springs stiffer still so all in all, it was basically running 1996-on Vit Sport spec suspension.

If you're trying to recreate the suspension set up, looking at your screen name i suspect you already have it! Dave/Dollysprint has a lot more data on spring and shock rates i believe and the information i posted here is basically a rehash of something he put on another thread somewhere.
In practical terms, i'm running 1998 Sterling springs on my '94 Sterling with Vit Sport/Police/Diesel spec anti roll bars so mine handles like a late Vitesse in terms of body roll (or lack of) with the ride of a late Sterling on 16" wheels - don't forget the later Sterling reverted to 15" wheels to regain some ride comfort lost by the stiffer springs it gained so it is possible to uprate/upgrade things on older models but not newer ones.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:51 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
820Vitesse wrote:That video is on my account, Tony Pond is such a "legend" and that lap is amazing, I edited the DVD to reduce it to under 10 minutes the limit at that time, was sure it would be deleted.
The suspension? Standard height (i think) uprated Vitesse springs (1990 spec), slightly uprated 1990 Vitesse shocks and the bit that makes it corner so flat - 1996-on Vitesse Sport spec (also Police and Diesel spec) anti roll bars, 26mm front, 21mm rear. Simples!
Bear in mind the standard ride height for a Vitesse was 20mm lower than the rest of the range and the shocks were slightly stiffer too (20% rings a bell for some reason with a shorter travel to allow for the 20mm lower ride) and the 1990 Vitesse spring rate would be about the same as the Mk2 Sterling with the Mk2 Vitesse being stiffer again and then the 1996 on Vit Sport springs stiffer still so all in all, it was basically running 1996-on Vit Sport spec suspension.

If you're trying to recreate the suspension set up, looking at your screen name i suspect you already have it! Dave/Dollysprint has a lot more data on spring and shock rates i believe and the information i posted here is basically a rehash of something he put on another thread somewhere.
In practical terms, i'm running 1998 Sterling springs on my '94 Sterling with Vit Sport/Police/Diesel spec anti roll bars so mine handles like a late Vitesse in terms of body roll (or lack of) with the ride of a late Sterling on 16" wheels - don't forget the later Sterling reverted to 15" wheels to regain some ride comfort lost by the stiffer springs it gained so it is possible to uprate/upgrade things on older models but not newer ones.
I thought it was more than that, just on my own experience with a mix of standard "Sport" 25mm front ARB and uprated springs I still got a lot of body roll, visually compared to the Tony Pond Vitesse that is.
I will start another thread rather than hijack this one.