noise from power steering

Magazine articles, history etc.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Phil L
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

noise from power steering

Post by Phil L » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi

I have a 1996 Rover 820i fastback on 79K miles.

This morning it developed a noise as I turn the steering wheel. I have checked the fluid level and that's OK.

Has anyone any idea what it might be? The pump?

There was fluid around the top of the reservoir even though the top was on properly.

Thanks

Phil

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Re: noise from power steering

Post by BlueRover » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Check the auxiliary drive belt. It powers the power steering,water pump and the alternator. It could be a little loose or worn making the noise. If it's not the full on loose-belt squeal it may just need a nipping up.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:09 pm

The T series belt has a self tensioner and cannot be adjusted. You may be in need of a new belt, a new pump or maybe just a fluid change. A new belt is simple and cheap. A fluid change is cheap but messy and a new pump isn't such a bad job either, but has some pitfalls for the home mechanic.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:48 pm

If it was a "squelch-squelch-squelch" noise and i'm guessing it was from the other evidence (fluid round the top of the reservoir although the cap was tight) i'd lay bets it's either under or over filled.
Chances are it's underfilled and the squelching noise was the pump cavitating where it draws air in with the fluid that it's trying to pump. This is the cause of the squelching noise and it makes the fluid froth up. It then finds it's way past the breather hole in the cap and the froth then turns back to liquid outside the pump.
Sometimes overfilling can also cause cavitation with the same end result but usually it's low fluid level that does it. I would suggest doing a "soft change" on the fluid particularly as once it has cavitated, it reduces the fluids ability to do its job properly.
When i say a "soft change" on the fluid, use a syringe to empty the fluid out of the reservoir, top up and run it for a few days then do another. Repeat a few times until the fluid in the reservoir is as clean as new fluid. This prevents the seals in the rack, pump etc being "shocked" by the stronger new fluid and potentially popping leaks. I use a syringe like this with a length of washer hose on the end to get to the bottom of the reservoir :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... detailpage

Fluid for the PAS is Dexron IID in all 800 models which is easy to find and relatively cheap. This should cure the majority of the problems you've got unless there is a serious underlying fault that isn't obvious from your description.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on?

***** Edited to add photos *****
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

PhilL

Post by PhilL » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:12 am

Thanks chaps

I'll have a look over the weekend, or rather get my mate who's a mechanic. I've got to keep the bus on the road, it's just been MOTd and passed.

Phil

PhilL

Post by PhilL » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:53 pm

My mate reckons it's the pump. Does anyone know where you can get one for a 1996 Rover 820i (without aircon)? I thought I found one on the Rimmer's website but I think it's from the older model.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:59 am

Try a fluid flush first - it's cheaper
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:53 am

I heartily recommend changing the fluid.

I had exactly this problem for well over a year, and although I regularly checked the fluid levels (which never changed), I assumed that I'd need to change the pump. In the end, I developed a leak from the power steering fluid cooler (the pipework that runs along behind the bumper).

When I fixed the leak, I obviously had to refill with fresh fluid.

It honestly has never been better - the pump is silent and dramatically smoother. It felt like new. I was sceptical, but I can't believe how much difference changing the fluid made.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:53 am

Like i said above, try a "soft change" of the fluid first- you'll be surprised!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:20 pm

To be fair to Phil's mate, it may well be the pump, after all we have not seen or heard the fault. It's just best practice for us armchair engineers ( 8) ) to point towards the easy cheap fix first.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:31 pm

That's very true Tom but a change of fluid won't harm it and will eliminate one probable cause. Both mine have been quieter, smoother and lighter since changing the fluid and at least when i eventually get round to changing the rack on my Sterling at least i know the fluid is clean.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar
Rover Guru

Post by zcar » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:12 pm

Just searched this up and found your solution Dave; cracking idea and one I will be doing as soon as time allows!
Hope you are keeping well.
Nick

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi Nick,

about as well as i ever am lol thanks!

The "soft change" as i like to call it slowly but surely changes all the fluid for clean stuff without shocking the system with a "flushing change" which could potentially blow seals (now, now - no ice cream jokes! :lol: ) and only takes ten minutes a week until the fluid is clean. Obviously how many weeks you do it is dependent on how dirty the old fluid is.
All 3 of mine have had this treatment although in fairness the Jeep got it as i had to replace the steering box. :roll: I should really do a soft change on the Jeep just to get rid of any contaminants that may have been lurking in the system for the past 1/4 million miles! :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Don't know the correct specification for this fluid but in my experience of both the 827 and the 2.0 it is not as important as the automatic gearbox for example where the fluid needs to be specific. (well so they say) I think there is a heat issue iF the wrong fluid is used in the auto boxes.

I have used common all garden automatic transmission fluid (ordinary red stuff off the shelf at the motor factors in the power steering when I had my 827 and never had a problem with it afterwards.

The noise may be an air lock resulting from a slow leak over time ? Again I topped up with the common all garden and the noise went away. that was in the Vitesse I had so it seems they don't mind.

Full lock each way generally gets all the air out as the bottle don't always show that its low.

I would have thought that the level would stil be high but with froth appearing to make up the level while running.

Did you check the level with the engine off ?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:54 pm

The PAS fluid for all models is Dexron II-D or equivalent and while this can be used to top up the ATF in the honda box, isn't recommended as the minerals in it attack the adhesive used to bond the friction linings to the clutches and brake bands within the auto box. It needs a Honda Z-1 compatible ATF and there aren't many around - i use Carlube ATF-U which is Z-1 compatible. Despite initial claims by Honda that their new DW-1 ATF was backwards compatible with Z-1 it isn't and will fry torque converters.

There is another good ATF for Honda auto boxes which is Valvoline Max-Life, there are two or three different grades of this however and i'm not sure all are Z-1 compatible.

The KV6 uses the JATCO box and after a lot of research i have discovered ATF-U is suitable for that as well.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate