Cars for next to nothing.

Magazine articles, history etc.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike V
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cars for next to nothing.

Post by Mike V » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:55 pm

Full size here for your reading pleasure:http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikelskas/ ... 1/sizes/o/

It says '2.0 K-series'

I thought the 2.0 was a T series and not susceptibleto head gasket failure.

Is the author referring to the mk1 2.0? The M series?
MIKE V

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:02 pm

They're talking out the wrong hole on that one I'm afraid.

Definitely T series as you say. They seem to be focusing on MK2s.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Mike V
Rover Guru

Post by Mike V » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:09 pm

CHR15E wrote:They're talking out the wrong hole on that one I'm afraid.

Definitely T series as you say. They seem to be focusing on MK2s.
Good! :D

I was concerned because these guys usually know what they are talking about. But I was 99% sure it was a T series.
MIKE V

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:45 pm

There is a 2.0 litre K series fitted to the Rover 75 --a 2.0 V6 though !
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:12 pm

Just basically shows that journo's just dont do thier research properly, usually using hearsay as facts.

The car in picture, P39 CEB, is a 2.5 KV6 and seems to be taxed until next year.

Lord Sterling

rickt500
Rover Guru

Post by rickt500 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:14 pm

I've heard a lot of people talking about K series in 820's and loads of head gasket failures.

Typical lack of knowledge added to plenty of prejudice against rover.

I've only had one actual M/T series head gasket failure in 13 years of 800 abuse, and that was after total coolant loss and me continuing to drive another 15 miles to get home. Head was like a bannana when it came off.
Richard T

1949 Rover 60
1989 820e T16 Conversion
1972 Rover 2000 project

MikeMedford
Rover Guru

Post by MikeMedford » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:02 am

I had an arguement with someone awhile ago over engines in the 800, he reckoned there was a 2.7 turbo and that if mine was a 2 litre then it was a k series.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:36 am

Silly errors like that are unforgivable - and Car Mechanics is usually a trustworthy magazine. Is that from the most recent issue? If so, we all need to email them and tell them they're wrong about the 2 litre engine! cm.info@kelsey.co.uk

By the by, Peter Simpson (editor of Classic Car Weekly) signed up as a member here a few days back - or at least someone using that username did! I trust that we'll get the chance to help CCW with future articles.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:58 am

Peter Simpson is recovering from his heart surgery, so he could be browsing from home. :) I wish him well. He has a Rover 80 and a Sterling Coupe
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:14 pm

The email used was a private, not work one (and no, I won't publish it). I sent him a welcome message saying that I'd been reading his work longer than either of us would care to remember!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Mike V
Rover Guru

Post by Mike V » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:58 pm

Before we all go bashing the mag I should mention that the article is from December 2006. :)
MIKE V

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor

Peter Simpson

Post by Gludenscrude » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:03 am

Hi,

To follow on from the Peter Simpson sub topic.

I met Peter last weekend, as I bought an interior from him, he seems to be recovering well, and it was a real surprise as I knew the name of the person I was collecting the interior from, but it didn't click until I arrived and actually met him. It was one of those "your that Peter Simpson" moments :D

He was really nice and very complementary about Stirlings. He has a Stirling and reckoned it was the most comfortable car he had ever driven.

I sincerely wished him well for a speedy recovery and being concerned about his privacy, I asked if it was ok to mention my purchase was from him on here and he said that was fine, and he was a member, but doesn't post often.
Martin

Rover 827SLi Manual Fastback "K"
Rover 827 Sterling Automatic Fastback "M"
Rover 827 Vitesse Automatic "H"
Toyota Celica Cabriolet "J"

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

T series HGF

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:11 pm

Just to pick up on a point about the T series, the last one i had was a 420 GSi that had covered inter-galactic mileage (238, 000 miles or to the moon!) and that blew the head gasket in my ownership. In amongst the brief history that came with the car was an invoice for doing the head gasket and also skimming the head. It was from the same place as had worked on the rear brakes, which didn't work either when i first got it!!
So they'd removed the head, had it skimmed, slapped a new gasket on and bolted it all back together. Literally!! That was basically all they had done!! Why did it go again so quickly? Cos the firm that did it were muppets!! They hadn't cleaned the mating face on the block or the threads in the bolt holes for the head bolts. They also didn't bother with new cam cover gaskets as these fell apart in my hands they were that brittle!!
Luckily i'd caught it soon enough to not need to skim it again but it was on it's limits anyway. Once i'd given it a full decoke, cleaned the threads in the bolt holes, used new bolts (again, whoever did the last job hadn't!) and done the job properly, it ran perfectly until sudden failure of the water pump some 6 months later! Unfortunately for me i was on a long journey and not hanging about so didn't notice the steam escaping from under the car cos it was raining. First i knew was when the temp gauge suddenly bent it's needle and steam then appeared everywhere!!
Before the water pump went i loved using the power it had due to the head being skimmed within a micron of it's life!! I know it's a crude method but the stopwatch function on my watch showed 0-60 in about 5.2-5.6 seconds and the reaction of Porsche/Ferrari etc owners suggested this wasn't too far wrong!!
OH yeah, the final point!! The work was done by a local main dealer!! Think the previous owner may have been dyslexic though as it was a Renault dealer, not Rover!!

metelmickey
Rover Guru

Post by metelmickey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:11 am

never had a problem with my 820 ( untill the cam belt broke, cost £500 to repair, loved the car so stood for the cost ) did loads of miles ( on lpg ) had to get rid of it finaly cose the chassis rotted. :(
MIKE

just got a 827 mk2 coupe and loving it, more commanly known as mad mick ( used to run a nitros injected firebird ) still missing my rover, now got a BMW 735 1999. now got 2003 760l, a 6.0ltr V12 and 445bhp. :evil:

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Re: T series HGF

Post by BlueRover » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:09 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Just to pick up on a point about the T series, the last one i had was a 420 GSi that had covered inter-galactic mileage (238, 000 miles or to the moon!)
Piffle, see my sig :roll:
The original engine too. Once I get the rear hub sorted and the handbrake working properly she's in for her MOT.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock