Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

CHR15E
Site Admin

Re: Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Post by CHR15E » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:43 pm

I'm in way too deep now. :D

Including tyres and servicing I've spent around £3K on it in 3 years.

It has all been aged related though. I reckon if I'd bought one with 60-70K on it I would have escaped big bills for a while. The flip side is these things have taken 100K miles + to wear out so maybe it'll last another 100K. We shall see.
Chris

07 Ford Mondeo ST TDCi Estate

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:28 am

That's a fair whack Chris but i daresay a car with only 60k on it would have cost you that much more in the first place. As you've had it 3 years you would have probably been coming up to the same point now so would have just been delaying the inevitable - end result you've probably still saved yourself £3k by buying the car with higher mileage to start with and not having to pay a premium to buy it or suffer the depreciation. Swings and roundabouts! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'95 827 Coupé LPG
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
All auto :D

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:38 pm

It is definitely but it's made me come to the conclusion there's only two types of car to buy.

Very cheap or nearly new. I won't be buying a car again in the middle ground. We're planning to swap my other halfs Astra early next year and all being well whatever replaces it won't be more than 2 years old. Then only keep it for a maximum of 4 or 5 years and start again like most people seem to be doing these days.

In theory it shouldn't need much if anything in that time aside servicing. Reliability and hassle free is what I want and it seems that's not cheap.
Chris

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:45 am

Good luck with your holiday trip Chris, and dont forget to keep a record of fuel used to see how it compares with the car computer readings.

Have to agree with your view on cars. Buy nearly new or very cheap, that has been my experience.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:50 am

What Nick said Chris ^^^^^ and with cars, apart from a very few, almost all my cars have been very cheap. My current Volvo is a good example, £175 with a few months MoT and a few known faults at purchase.

There were quite a few more unknown faults too! However, once all is said and done, i was able to source the parts relatively cheaply (mostly NOS on fleabay) so all in (apart from MoT fees) it stands me in at about £500.

When you consider that it has new springs and shocks all round, new front discs/pads, rear pads, ball joints, drop links and will shortly have a new front half of the exhaust system, gearbox mount and propshaft centre bearing there's not much concern over the rest of it. All of these are known "wearing items" but equally well known for putting people off buying a particular car.
Not that i'm thinking of selling it of course - that's why the various things have been done. If i was though, thanks to rarity of that particular model and a general upturn in values it's probably worth in the region of £2500-3000 now with those things done.
Others would have probably done the bare minimum for an MoT and run it into the ground at £175 but with the work all done, it's got a new lease of life, hopefully for another 28 years! Should hopefully give me a good few years trouble free service now.

Out of the expensive stuff i've owned, one car i bought came with 18 months MoT :shock: yes, really! It was 2.5 years old at purchase and the deal was a new MoT on purchase. The dealer actually suggested to me to bring it back in 6 months and they'd MoT it for me free apart from wearing items such as tyres, pads etc. which they did.
However i had several "niggly" faults on that car that were repaired under warranty but in common with a few other 3-5 year old cars i've had, it was getting to the point of needing lots of money thrown at it to keep it right.

My conclusion is unless you really want that newish registration plate, go for the "bangernomics" car instead. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'95 827 Coupé LPG
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
All auto :D

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:48 pm

In days gone by I would have agreed on sticking to cheaper stuff.

These days I just want the car to work and I'm not prepared to be spending hours repairing it or keeping it maintained. Plus 'er indoors' wants the new tech that new cars have these days.
Chris