Brad's 1981 MGB GT

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

guru
Site Admin

Post by guru » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Nice car Brad. If you think front's cramped try getting in the back! My wife once picked me and a couple of mates up from the put and I had to sit in the back seat with my mate who is also over 6 foot!
If it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't safely get the kids in it I'd love another MGB
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
1991 Rover Sterling mk1c (taking a break)
2015 Mercedes C300 Hybrid
2015 Mini Cooper SD

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:34 am

Sounds painful!
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:48 am

Mal,

I have fixed the fuel drip - it was a faulty springy clip thingy on one of the rubber fuel pipes. Now 100% driveable and working A1.

I have also checked everything else - lights, horn, radio, window winders, locks etc and EVERYTHING is working.

Oil pressure at idle is at about 70lbs - well past the half way mark on the dial.

There are updated photos on the EBay advert showing the engine bay and rust areas.

It's been standing a month or so and also started first turn of the key.

One last point, all the tyres are matching DUNLOPS.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:54 am

It's a great looking car. One of the better colours for the later models and the black vinyl roof goes well with the plastic bumpers.

There's a lot to be said for the later cars as they are certainly the most comfortable and civilised.
guru wrote: If it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't safely get the kids in it I'd love another MGB
That's what has limited my use of my MGC over the last 10 years.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

mtamin
Regular Visitor

Post by mtamin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:42 pm

For what my opinion is worth I actually like the vinyl roof particularly as it has the opening roof as well. Sets of the paint really well. and also resonates with the black plastic bumpers which somehow look ok with the black roof. You might find they looked conspicuously irritating if you went back to a painted vermillion roof.
Up the Rovers!

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks for the extra pics Brad.

Just how bad is the headlamp area of the wing?

Wondering if we would have to factor in the cost of a new one.

Mal.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:35 pm

It is solid but the paint is bubbled and the metal rusty underneath. it would fill and sand down well. The rest of the wing is solid and rust free so replacing the whole wing for a minor bit of flakiness would be a shame - they often go at the bottoms, I think but this is mint. Also, the repainting of a new wing would make the rest of the car look odd. You could end up respraying the whole thing and how much would that cost?
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:51 pm

One day of the EBay auction to run.

142 watchers, no bids, about 20 questions. People seem to like the colour.

I have agreed a viewing with a potential bidder and he'll be here soon...
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:30 pm

Car washed, leathered, vacuumed...no show.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Seems to be a lot of that going on of late
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

TDHFastback

cripes

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Cripes Brad after finding out just how big you are how do you squeeze into something that small. :shock:

You must struggle in an 800 never mind an MG

Kate :D

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:17 pm

I have bendy knees and a sunroof.

But still too big for this car. I really want to keep it but 42 miles in 3 years is crazy.
No longer an 800 owner!

TDHFastback

cream

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:24 pm

A sunroof? I'd get some cream for that :shock:

Kate :D

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Jaguar...Grace, Space, Pace

MG...Miles, Smiles, Piles

Oooh Matron :roll:
No longer an 800 owner!

TDHFastback

Talking of MGs

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Talking of MGs I was at the Earls court MPH show on Thursday (we had a stand there and saw the new MG6 being unveiled.
Not really sure.

The front looks like a Golf the back like a Vectra and the inside like a BMW/MFI wall unit.

I hope it works as it is assembled in this country but as there playing on the badge it looks tooo bland being just a silver blob.

and guess what They are calling it the FASTBACK :roll: :roll:

Kate