My Kia Rio (MKII, also known as MKI Facelift)

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TheVDM
Regular Visitor

My Kia Rio (MKII, also known as MKI Facelift)

Post by TheVDM » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Here is a thread for my 2003 Kia Rio which is a MKII, but some people say it is a MKI Facelift.

I bought it from the Kia main dealer in Whitstable with a full service history (no expense spared) and a years warranty for a very reasonable price of £1500 (- a £600 discount for rolling in my absolutely dead Rover 45), which isn't too bad as the Kia was 7 years old at the time.

Then in December 2011 some kid on a moped pulled out in front of me with no indicators, warning or anything, luckily I was only going 10mph at the time! The kid was ok and lean't his lesson but left my car as a Cat X write off (broken head light unit, broken wing mirror, cracked bumper & a smashed windscreen. Strangely enough not a scratch on any panel other than the bumper).

While the insurance claim was going through Swinton gave me this for 6 weeks, it turned up with 40 miles on the clock and satisfied my urge to one day own a new car... No need now!

p.s. The Peugeot was actually quite a nice car to drive (gave it back with 3,000 on the clock) although I feel more comfortable in a car nearer my own age.

After 5 weeks the insurance payout came through where I was given the estimated value of my car to repair or replace, as I had the peugeot for one more week and because I like tinkering I naturally went for the repair option. After sourcing a new electric wing mirror, head light unit and front bumper this is what it looked like.

After a few hours this is what I had, I stepped back and realised that I have the wrong headlight unit (one with an orange bulb and one with an orange reflector), over a year later it's still like that, I will pair them up again one day.

After that was done I arranged for a replacement windscreen to be fitted which I was dreading as I had to pay for it myself (as the insurance company already paid out) but in the end I was recommended to try All Screens (around Thanet) and got a new screen fitted for £150.

There was one good thing that came from this, I found a good reliable garage in my local area who doesn't tell me I should have a professional to do everything (they actually quote me and then say... 'But you could do it, it's easy').

Conclusion of the Kia Rio: It's a very cheep car and doesn't give any feeling of luxury (even my LX model), it is far from powerfull (mines a 1.3), but mine is very reliable and never fails me.

So, that's the history of my Kia to date
Jim Valentine

1999 Jaguar S-Type V6 SE (want to swap for an 800)
My old 800.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: My Kia Rio (MKII, also known as MKI Facelift)

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Rebuilding a "write off" is very satisfying, isn't it?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Post by TheVDM » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:52 pm

It is very satisfying although I think they write things off a little too easily sometimes, as the Kia had very little wrong after that, at least with it being a Cat X write off it didn't need to have a VIC check after the work was done.
Jim Valentine

My old 800.

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Post by TheVDM » Tue May 21, 2013 12:42 pm

This car is now up for sale if anybody is after a cheep reliable car for a new driver, or for themselves - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1043582332
Jim Valentine

My old 800.

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Post by TheVDM » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:46 pm

The Rio was collected today and has only been gone for half an hour, I kind of feel a little sad to see it go after 2 1/2 years of ownership, bringing my eldest daughter home from the hospital in it and taking it just over 30,000 miles.

You only realise how attached you are to a car when you sell it, although I know I would miss the Rover too if I had to sell it.
Jim Valentine

My old 800.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable