I've also bought a Jaguar

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: I've also bought a Jaguar

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:31 pm

It all makes me feel rather nostalgic for my two XJ40s
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Heh, another one pops up!

Both my brothers own X308's (Though Marko's can hardly be called an X308 now!)

One is a Jaguar PHAETON (yes that one, still going strong - http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=99274)

And the other is the Daimler SuperV8

Both are on the LWB X308 Chassis

In terms of comfort I find the 800 interior FAR more comfortable for a chap my size! In the Daimler the fancy rear seats aren't all that comfy/well fitting for me.

However the Ride performance and every other aspect...mind boggling for a car of its age and stature! Makes sense considering it cost, new, over twice what an 800 coupe did!

Dad has regularly referred to the Daimler as Rolling Thunder, 370 horses and 380ft/lbs supposedly. Bonkers fast for a car of it's size and age.

According to my brothers and the brief time I spent as a passenger, they are remarkably quiet inside and they really do iron out the bumps as they 'proceed' along the carriageway (one does not simply drive these cars :roll: )

Nice find, watch out for rust on the front chassis legs behind the brake lines, mud trap and they tend to be rather crusty (both X308's in our family needed substantial repairs to both legs)

Stellar job on the paintwork, as a fellow detailer I can really appreciate the hard work you put in but it is always so rewarding to see it afterwards! Also,. as Brad says, easily increases the sale value by a large number when it's clean and shiny!
If you intend to sell it good luck. I think you'll find it grows on you though!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

RoastBeef
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RoastBeef » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:33 pm

Love your x308 it's stunning. It looks like the same colour as my xj6 (x300), 'Nautilus Blue Mica' ? It's a very rare colour, they only seemed to do for a couple of years around 97, in fact i've never seen another one in the flesh. I think it's a great colour that really suits the car, especially when polished up like yours. Mine is sadly no where near as shiny..

When I got my x300 about 2 years ago, I did initially want an x308 for the more powerful engine, but was a bit scared of timing chain tensioner woes. You probably already know, but the tensioner ideally needs to be upgraded to the latest design (3rd gen), if you intend to keep the car, as the early plastic tensioners dis-intigrate causing the chain to slip. It is at least worth taking a look at the tensioner, it may well have been replaced already, as most have now at this age, many under warranty I believe.

The only other issue with these cars, both 6 and 8 cylinder is rust! My car is so far virtually rust free, but it is a struggle to keep it that way. Inner front wheel arches, up behind the plastic liner, is a real favorite place as well as front subframe (subframe may be different on x308, not sure) . My fuel lines had to be partly replaced due to rust and i've used a LOT of Waxoil, it's the only way.

They are terrific cars though and incredible value. I find most 2nd hand spares very cheaply on Ebay. Fuel is not great around town, but 28-29mpg on a run is quite normal for my 6 pot and I think your 8 pot car should be more economical as its a much newer more efficient engine. A great buy, nice Range rover you have in the back ground also, another of my favorite cars.
Pete

dead827
Regular Visitor

Post by dead827 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:49 pm

I very nearly brought a lwb version just before xmas, but could not fit in the garage and was not practical to pop down to tesco's, they are cheap until they go worng.
300,000 mile white gold sterling on lpg Gone RIP
150,000 mile red sterling on lpg Still around
100,000 mile BRG rover sterling not on lpg Passed on

shiny blue jag on lpg
Another blue jag 2.5 auto

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:26 pm

Brought the Jaguar out of hibernation yesterday, the last journey it did was last September and its been sitting on top of the ramp since then. Half a turn of the starter motor and it burst into life, so this morning it went for its annual MOT and passed and is now ready to do another 1000 miles this year. Checked the OBC and it tells me its averaging 26mpg so not too bad considering it's a big heavy car. On a run up to my daughter's at Roy Bridge, via Glen Coe I've seen the fuel consumption reach the dizzy heights of 32mpg.

Repairs for the first year of ownership...Nil
JT

...........Image

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:45 pm

As mentioned in an earlier post, it would be wise to check to see if it has the early type plastic cam chain tensioners or the later metal ones. If it's the former then swap them for the latter as they tend to fail catastrophically
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:27 pm

26mpg is better than I get from the 820 turbo but I think she just needs a service.
Also, Brad, the bust isn't leaking, it's just sad to see an example of the last proper Jag.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice to see you in print again, John. There is something very pleasing about buying a big old car that is still basically being 'run in' for, as you put it, "less than the price of a set of tyres". It really is free motoring provided you can afford the luxury of a daily driver for those punishing, day to day journeys involving salted roads, narrowlanes/thorny hedges and supermarket car parks.
No longer an 800 owner!