Dan's 2000 VW Golf 1.4

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DLR
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dan's 2000 VW Golf 1.4

Post by DLR » Sat May 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Thought I'd show off my latest purchase.

Bit of a back story - a friend of mine went to Uni last September and left his car, a VW Golf, with his old man. I say left it, what I mean to say is his old man had spent so much cash on it he took it on to replace his Clio. Fast forward 9 months and he bought himself a Corsa, with the Golf going for scrap - the oil pressure light comes on after driving a short distance and was quoted horrendous money to fix (suspect oil pump). So before the call was made to the scrap man, I made enquiries and bought it. I want to go one of two ways with it - either I get it fixed myself through a garage using my contact at a prestige dealer, then use it and sell on, or I would have a go at doing it myself with my limited knowledge and use it as a way to learn how good (or bad) I actually am when it comes to mechanics. At the end of the day if and when I broke it beyond repair I would not lose out financially, but would still gain the experience of tinkering with something that it doesn't really matter if I fix it or not.

So, here she is. 92,000 miles on the clock, recent clutch, brake pads and discs all round, new plugs, leads battery and an all manner of things under the bonnet. 4 recent tyres as well! Just needs the big job of the oil pump doing. It has valid MOT until October 2013 but no tax. Still starts and drives fine, though. I can understand why people rate VAG for their quality feel - it's only 5 years younger than the 820 Si but feels like it's screwed together a lot better. Only a 1.4 though!

Doesn't look too bad, I hear you cry! Well look a little closer:
Arch needs looking at...

Bumper scuffs - all round, this is the best one. The front bumper is missing the lower trim around the bottom...

The grille is held on with tape - this happened when it was driven into a lorry in traffic. Headlight was replaced soon after, along with a third new number plate.

Needs a new windscreen...

No interior pics as they were a little blurred - standard VAG interior, just like the thousands of other Golfs or Audis or Skodas or Seats out there!!

So I don't know what to do with it at the moment - I am desperately trying to get back into education so if that happens then I'll take the easy way out and get shot ASAP. Otherwise I'll test myself on it - then get rid. Probably in more pieces than it is now. I'll openly admit I am unsure what I am doing when it comes to mechanics, so I'd much rather cock up a job on a car like this than my beloved 800!

One thing is for certain - it is no 800 replacement, no matter how much younger it is.

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dan's 2000 VW Golf 1.4

Post by Lord Sterling » Sat May 18, 2013 11:27 pm

Wow Dan, that looks utterly depressing, at least it isnt a Jag, well done on purchasing it! To be honest though, I don't really rate these, I have driven a fair few of these and the only one I liked was the VR6 because it made a nice sound and pulled very well, well, that and the stupidly named 2.0 'GT TDi' Turd-bo Diesesal was pretty fun too.

The interiors in these are cack, they break if you look at them, and yes, they do corrode like an Alfa if provoked. I can't honestly say I ever felt that they were anywhere near well screwed together, compared to an 800 possibly, but I reckon these are the German equivalent of the Allegro, just with cack plastics and a depressingly Goth interior.

Bash a bonnet and grille (hold out for matching coloured examples as these are pretty popular with people who don't know about cars, so there is more chance of finding the correct colour, it'll save on respray costs/time too) bash in whatever oil pump it needs and give it a tidy up, I reckon this'll sell nae bothar. There are plenty of people out there waiting for punishment, look at us marching on with our 800s, now thats what you call sheer bloody-mindedness.

Good luck.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun May 19, 2013 3:13 am

Oil pump replacement - you may be able to replace it from below without removing the engine. if not, I would seriously consider just getting rid of it "as it" because of the work involved if the engine has to come out.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Sun May 19, 2013 8:45 am

This was VWs darkest hour, developed during the German recession in the mid 90s and it shows. Stodgy design and very heavy cars. The standard GTi a 2.0 developed just 115bhp and took longer to get to 60 than a 214/ZR 105!

Yet the general public think they are brilliant!
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Tue May 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Thank you for your comments.

I should imagine I will sell it on as it is, but for the mo I can't do anything with it as it's on a neighbour's drive - they've got scaffolding up alll down the side of our house to do work on their roof so they've temporarily re-homed the Golf. Can't park the Rover though which is currently round the bleeding corner!

If - and a big IF - it gets fixed I do have plans for it. Something akin to the harlequin Polo, but a little more crap! The chav in me wants to have some fun with it.

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 pm

...Aaaaand it's gone!

Doubled my money. And I was honest about every little detail. Wierd what people will do for some VAG(!)

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Tue May 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Well done Dan, apologies if I seemed a bit harsh previously, I just don't like the MK4 Golf! The MK3 however was an excellent workhorse for my stepmother for about 12 years!
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

Thomas J
Regular Visitor

Post by Thomas J » Tue May 28, 2013 8:35 pm

That was a quick turnaround. My mates all go nuts over vws and I've been in enough to realise the quality they play on is in fact false. I even owned a golf to see what they were all about and I realized vws arnt for me. Good luck with your next purchase whatever it may be regards Thomas
i want lots of british cars got 1 want more

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Wed May 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Quick turnaround because otherwise I'd have got sentimentally attached to the old bugger - there's a reason I've had my 800 for 17 months now!

Seriously though, it needed too much really. I have an interview next week in Burnley for a Uni course - I'd rather put my efforts into that right now than having this sat about (especially when the 800 needs a bit of TLC again). Iwill be shot down in flames for saying this but I do like them and I understand why they appeal to so many. I'll be driving Rovers for the forseeable though. ;)