S-type

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard Moss
Site Owner

S-type

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:45 am

I have had a little rush of blood to the head and some money "fell" out of my wallet, leading to the "semi-accidental" purchase of a 2002 Jaguar S-type 4L V8. More details later......
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Re: S-type

Post by TheVDM » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:49 am

Interesting... another Jag on this site. Looking forward to reading more about this car along with the usual photos. A 4L V8 in a family saloon, I bet that goes like the clappers.
Jim Valentine

1999 Jaguar S-Type V6 SE (want to swap for an 800)
My old 800.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:58 pm

So here it is. 2001 S-Type 4L V8. BRG metallic, cream leather, 111,000 miles (178,000km). A slightly uneven idle seems to be the only noticeable mechanical issue, plus a few bits of broken plastic trim, seats need to be re-dyed, sunroof stuck closed (AC works beautifully), a bit of lacquer peel on the paint and scratched/yellowed headlights. Smooth, comfortable, quiet, quick - precisely why I bought it and 17mpg around town isn't too bad........

11 months "MOT", no road tax required and £130 per year to insure and I got it cheap by local market standards - bought from a British expat, ex-RAF engineer who works for a company in the same group as I do. Bargain.

Parked next to Mr M's Kia Soul (which is known as Our Soul)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Yam
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Yam » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Interesting.....
Graham

rosshenocsr
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by rosshenocsr » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:28 pm

rare beast in this country i guess not so rare out where you are. We only get 3.0 s types of that vintage in at our place. Suspension and gearbox are the bits to watch on those early cars................oh and the timing chain tensioners. But i get to see the worst side of Jag reilablaity so to be fair they are a good buy for the money and how they drive. Enjoy
2003 MG ZS 180 - Trophy Blue
1998 Rover 620 ti - Kinversand Orange

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:59 pm

The headlights on this were dull and crazed, as well as going yellow. It's a combination of sun and sand that does it but because the lenses are plastic, you can clean them up with fine wet and dry paper and then polish them up with rubbing compound. The results are quite good.

The plastic surrounds for the interior door handles were broken so ebay came to the rescue. Not quite the right shade but there are some many different shades of brown/beige/cream inside the car that it doesn't matter!
The centre console was badly smashed up so I've fitted a second hand one - again, wrong shade but it does the job
at the same time I fitted a triple power socket into the slot where there used to be a a cassette holder (to power satnav and phone charger etc)
and I also found a couple of small rust patches but nothing major

As for servicing etc, the local Jaguar dealer came up with some real comedy prices for me (I've converted the prices to £):
Ignition coils - £69 each and it has 8 of them
Front brake pads - £106 per set
and so on. So I went internet shopping (http://www.rockauto.com)

Coils £10 each
Brake pads £6 a set - yep, £6!
Air and oil filters less than £3 each
KGK platinum plugs (original spec) £2 each
and even with shipping it has saved me a HUUUUUUUUGE amount of money and so now I just need a day/evening that is cool enough to fit it all.

The car is running well enough (apart from a small misfire at light throttle settings) and is burning fuel at the rate of 1 gallon every 20 miles (fewer miles if I play with the power - and it has plenty of that!) and is beautifully smooth, quite refined and comfortable. It doesn't quite have the "gentlemans' club on wheels" feel that my XJ40 had but it is pretty damned good. It DOES have the smoothest cruise control system of any car that I have ever driven, so smooth that it's hard to tell it has even engaged and the dual-zone climate control system is superb, thankfully. The cast aluminium suspension arms are gorgeous, too - I'll take a photo some time.

On the downside - the roofline is a bit low, affecting visibility (especially when combined with the sloping A-pillars and the ridiculously oversized rearview mirror) and the Ford supplied 5-speed transmission can be a bit indecisive, making the odd harsh change (a "feature" that they all share, apparently). It's also a bit low slung for some of the speedbumps here so i have to be careful with them.

Overall, though: I LOVE IT!

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:08 pm

I missed this when you bought it, but rust!! out there!! what did the previous owner do pee on it ??

That is rather nice and looks quality inside, the more I look at it the more I like it.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Richard C wrote:I missed this when you bought it, but rust!! out there!! what did the previous owner do pee on it ??
It's dry here inland but the majority of cars in the UAE live in cities on the humid, salty coastline of the 7 Emirates. I'm amazed that there are so few rotten cars in Dubai and Abu Dhabi - but then most get written off on crashes before going rotten :)

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:35 pm

I did the same with my Lexus headlamps. It was advice from polishing supremo John 47p2 that gave me the advice I needed to avoid new headlamps.

The coil packs for the Lexus are £149 each plus VAT. L;ike your Jag, my car takes 8. However, an American dealer sent me 3 for under £70 delivered. Crazy. And I didn't need them - faulty spark plug!

Your spares were sold to you at 1980 prices, I think. Nice job. Nice car, too. Use it and enjoy it.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:Your spares were sold to you at 1980 prices, I think. Nice job.
Certainly good value - I keep going back to Rockauto again and again (I first used them a decade ago when living in Spain and driving a Grand Voyager)
Very Tall Brad wrote:Use it and enjoy it.

I will. I am :)

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:07 pm

Very nice Richard, always fancied the Type R supercharged with a full Jag bodykit, had a X type 3l Sport 4WD and they are a pleasure also

Nice car.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:51 pm

I swapped all four coils on the right hand bank of cylinders (as viewed from inside the car) for the new ones and the misfire has gone. One of the original coils had a broken mounting bracket so I suspect that it was making an intermittent connection. Normal "Jag-like" running has been restored :) i did all four as it was quicker and easier than trying to track down the faulty one.

Thomas J
Regular Visitor

Post by Thomas J » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:56 pm

My dad had a 4.0 litre s type and it was an experience evrytime you sat in it.
Can i ask what the switch is on the back of the door bin?

The power seems effortless and they just seem to keep going and on the instant fuel computer i got it down to 1mpg once. Look after it they are lovely cars
i want lots of british cars got 1 want more

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:19 am

Thomas J wrote:Can i ask what the switch is on the back of the door bin?
it's for the folding door mirrors - a system which is currently "less than 100% functional"

simon
Rover Guru

Post by simon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:18 am

Loving the car richard. I see britsh metal is coming back in to your life whats next land rover :D
Simon & Jane.

Rover 825sd 229,000.
Rover SD1 V8 VDP 126,000 will get running this year.
2 rover 75's