1993 Jaguar XJ40

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TheVDM
Regular Visitor

1993 Jaguar XJ40

Post by TheVDM » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi all,

I just couldn't keep away from those British cars!!

I just won a 1993 Jaguar XJ40 (4 litre AJ6) on ebay as a long term project, at the moment there's a few jobs to do on it, first of all, investigate the possible HG faliure and give it a good clean, then I'll see the next steps. It's only a few miles from me and the guys I bought it from are able to deliver for a small fee so I'll give some updates as and when it's on the drive.

Here's the ebay photos for now:

As you can see, it's not quite mint :lol:

More on this later :D
Jim Valentine

1999 Jaguar S-Type V6 SE (want to swap for an 800)
My old 800.

TheOldMan
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 1993 Jaguar XJ40

Post by TheOldMan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:25 pm

I've got a '92 version of one sat on my drive too.
It's for a planned engine & transmission transplant so if you need any niggly trim bits let me know.
It's got a full Prinz LPG setup on it if you want that.
You know of XJ40.com I'm sure -
Dusan's Dad - it's MY Rover son!
And it's my 40 too, or what's left of it.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:33 pm

Lovely interiors on these - I miss mine.

1993-94 are prone to rot on the bulkhead around where the battery cable is mounted. I'd also look carefully under the header tank and PAS tank for rot in the inner wings

Head gasket changes aren't too difficult - I put a new head on my old 1990 4L. http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopi ... 3&start=75
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Post by TheVDM » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:36 pm

TheOldMan wrote:I've got a '92 version of one sat on my drive too.
It's for a planned engine & transmission transplant so if you need any niggly trim bits let me know.
It's got a full Prinz LPG setup on it if you want that.
You know of XJ40.com I'm sure -
I'm just awaiting conformation on XJ40.com

Although it looked fairly complete on the viewing, there's bound to be a few parts missing on it so you will no doubt get a PM from me in due course. As for the LPG kit, I would normally be quite interested in one for a car like this as there's a few LPG stations nearby, but in all honesty I've bought it with the intention of maybe covering 1,000 miles a year, although that might change!
Richard Moss wrote:Lovely interiors on these - I miss mine.

1993-94 are prone to rot on the bulkhead around where the battery cable is mounted. I'd also look carefully under the header tank and PAS tank for rot in the inner wings

Head gasket changes aren't too difficult - I put a new head on my old 1990 4L. http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopi ... 3&start=75
Thank you Richard, they do have nice interiors, not too dissimilar to the 800's. I'll have to check the bulkhead and wings out when it arrives, on the viewing I did the usual prodding of wheel arches, I'd be surprised if they haven't been welded at some point as they felt as solid as a rock.

In all honesty I've never changed a head gasket before, but then the opportunity has only come up once (many years ago when I was less confident with engines), I've done lots of reading on the AJ6 head gasket and I've not been put off. Thank you for the link, every bit of information is valuable.

As you've done it before, just to confirm the lower timing chain stays in place when removing the head?

I'm quite looking forwards to getting this on the drive and spending some time giving it a thorough wash and check over,
Jim Valentine

My old 800.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:24 pm

Yes, the lower chain doesn't have to be touched. Watch out for the short bolts that hold the sprockets to the camshafts, I dropped one into the timing case and was lucky to be able to retrieve it with a bit of wire and a screwdriver. Remember to use new tab washers on those bolts to stop them coming loose.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Post by TheVDM » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:32 pm

Thank you again for clarifying that, getting the lower chain off looks like a procedure I'd rather not do unless I have to, so being able to leave it in place will make a massive difference to the head gasket.

I'll watch out for dropping any bolts into the chain cover, I'm a bit of an expert at dropping bolts, then screening the engine bay trying to find out where it landed. An old bed sheet works wonders under the engine bay, makes finding the ones that hit the ground a lot easier :D
Jim Valentine

My old 800.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:43 am

In hindsight, I would have blocked off the void with screwed up carrier bags to stop stuff dropping down there

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Post by TheVDM » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:10 pm

Richard Moss wrote:In hindsight, I would have blocked off the void with screwed up carrier bags to stop stuff dropping down there
That's a good idea, although I'm starting to wonder if it actually has been given up due to the head gasket as there's not much in the way of signs (once I get it going properly I'll run a compression test on it).

The main concern is a slightly rotten bulkhead! I'm hoping to cut the rot out and get a patch welded in place to hopefully get it MoT worth (in that area at least), then when the weathers better I'll set about stripping the dashboard back to get at it properly.
Jim Valentine

My old 800.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable