Scoobys Dogmobile - Take 2!

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Scoobys Dogmobile - Take 2!

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Sell it - quickly! If you had to fork out on that lot it would more or less render the car scrap i would think! :shock:

Have to say though, i won't run a diesel on principle, the exhaust fumes are carcinogenic for a start but i also have hearing damage from working on diesels so i don't like them to put it very politely! :evil:

It's a big con how Ford have coded everything to the ECU - injectors, pump and so on. It's money for old rope for them to plug their machine in and code the various parts.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Pretty much now, yes. Worth £1500-2000 maybe.

If I could live with the gearbox I'd spend it if it needed it. I don't like diesels either but after the tax changes and the government forcing them on us there's very little choice for something worth having with a petrol engine.

It's slowly changing with new cars but smaller engines and turbos.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:45 pm

The worst of it all is the government were warned back in the early 80s that diesel was not the green option it appeared to be. Apparently also told that there was no need for 3-way cats either, lean-burn engines would meet all emissions criteria that was forthcoming. At least if they had listened to that, we wouldn't have the anti-sical and highly toxic H2S emissions from cats as they do their job!

Rumour has it, the French and Germans weren't capable of building engines that would meet the emissions criteria without a cat, hence their insistence on that course of action.

Now the government has realised they were wrong and are back-pedaling faster than an MP with duck house on his expenses.

You know the rest! :P

Not that it helps you now of course, but maybe an older Jeep (pre-2000/2001 when they started shafting people for road tax because of the fact it's a 4x4 AND a 4.7 V8) would be a good option. Even better on LPG and registered on the LPG database so you can drive it round London for free, just for the fun of it! :P :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:50 pm

As long as it's pre 2006 it's not too bad for the tax. £315 from memory.

I almost never travel to London so not a big deal for me. Don't even go into Notts that often if that goes the same way.

70-80% of my mileage these days is for work. Which is an 8 or 10 mile round trip depending which route I take.

For me I just want something I enjoy owning/driving again. The Mondeo is a good car but the engine and box don't suit me.

Honestly an auto isn't my idea of heaven either but hopefully I'll live with it once we've swapped her Astra.

Time will tell.
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:35 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:58 am

The big question is, do the injectors come into normal running costs? If so, then so far, other than normal running costs, the Volvo has cost me nothing.
Hmmm, maybe i spoke too soon! After an unexpected flat battery yesterday (courtesy of my faithful pooch knocking the switch for the luggage compartment light! :roll: ) i thought it would be a good idea to check it started today, just in case it wasn't the luggage light.

Turned over fine.

The rest can be summed up by three TLAs - Three Letter Acronyms :

UAV
FTP
CPS

Translation :

UAV = Urban Assault Vehicle aka Volvo aka Dogmobile
FTP = Failed To Proceed aka wouldn't start
CPS = Crank Position Sensor

On the 4-pot Volvos it's quite a common occurrence because of where the CPS sits. On mine, although in the same position (top of the bellhousing), because it's a V6, it doesn't get any oil leaks from the rocker cover contaminating the wiring and causing failure like on the 4-pots. Just old age and the fact i obviously disturbed the wiring when fitting the injectors.

Gave the wiring a wiggle, turned the key - fired and has been ok since.

However, if it can throw it's toys out of the pram once, i'm sure it will again. Found one on ebay for the princely sum of about £20 so it's on its way to me, if that lasts another 30 years i'll be happy! :lol:

Did try getting one locally, local spares place can get one for monday but it's £43, Kia (i kid you not!) can get one tomorrow but it's £49 and a long drive to Bury St Edmunds to collect, couldn't find a number for a nearby Ferrari, Lancia or Rolls-Royce dealer and refuse to go to Peugeot/Citroen or Renault and they're NLA at Volvo.
Seriously, the same sensor is used by models from all those manufacturers!

As such, ebay to the rescue, hopefully it will land just as quick as any of the other options that could get it locally.

Meanwhile i'll have to hope it doesn't play up again, if it does then wiggling the wiring will hopefully get it going again. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:01 pm

About a week after ordering a new CPS, it duly landed yesterday.

Got the pics uploaded from fitting the new CPS - a few words with each one should explain it all!

New sensor - no surprise on that one!

Sensor location, top pic from just behind right hand downpipe, bottom pic above inlet manifold between the back of the Vee, shows the connector location as well.

Old sensor out.

Quite an easy job except you need a 5mm Allen key to undo/refit the bolt securing the sensor. Not much room to swing it with the left hand exhaust downpipe coming over the bellhousing though! Used my Snap-On 1/4" ratchet drive with a square to hex converter and a 1/4" drive 5mm hex bit instead.

I had intended to renew the rubber fuel return hose as well yesterday but got distracted and test-started the car without thinking so did that today instead and also check-tightened the cap screw on the sensor.

All good but i did notice that despite fixing the fuel pump relay a couple of months back, it's now not priming again when the ignition is first switched on.

Something else to investigate! I might just rig up a timer relay so when the door is opened, it primes the fuel pumps, for now i'm getting round it by flicking the key to the start position and letting go, waiting a second while the pumps run (it sees the engine as turning so uses a different output from the ECU to trigger the fuel pump relay) then turning the key back to start, which it now does "first pot over the top" as it should and always used to. ;) :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:46 pm

A bit more news - i also renewed the fuel pump relay as it was showing more problems than my basic repair of it had cured.

On another note, i put it in early (by about 6 weeks) for MoT today, not that i thoguht i needed that extra time but wanted to bring the test away from xmas :

Clean sheet pass, no advisories at all. Just as clean were the emissions :

That's at least another years life for the old beast! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Congratulations Dave! Oh, and I hope you got a couple of exhauts. Apparently great prices. ;)

And on a note, interesting to see you have 1 year (-1 day) to your next test. We have a 14 months span so, when we have our cars tested, we must test it again within 14months. We used to have a system depending on the numberplate, for example if your number ended with 8 you had to test it before August etc. There was even a proposition to expand the period to 24months but the department of the testing stations refused as it would bring many of them out of business.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:27 pm

Thanks Henrik! :mrgreen:

The old MoT ran out on 2nd December so if i'd waited a week until next friday (2nd November) i would have had a certificate valid for 13 months - they post-date the expiry date to 12 months from the current expiry date if you put it in anytime within the preceding month to the expiry date.

If that makes sense! :shock:

Anyway, as our MoTs last 12 months (normally) i wanted not only to bring it away from xmas but also to bring it back closer to what it was originally. The car was first registered 1/8/88 and a lot of the earlier MoTs that i've found in the folder (wherever that is at the moment! :roll: ) were on the 1st August each year. That's sort of what i'm aiming for but the Sterling (originally registered 14/3/93) is May 13th so i don't mind the Volvo being near the end of October, i can still put it in near the end of August and get 13 months in future years.
As i said to the lady at the MoT centre when i phoned up to book it in, you don't want to be messing around doing a silly, last-minute job like wiper blades or blown bulbs in the middle of winter! :wink: :D

PS - exhausts? Me confused! :? :shock: :?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:16 pm

MOTs in the winter are a definite no no imo if at all avoidable.

Saying that if it's a car you know and keep on top of it shouldn't be that bad to need much doing.

Either way no need to worry for another year at least. :)
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:40 pm

CHR15E wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Either way no need to worry for another year at least. :)
Thanks Chris - the general plan is to put it in late August - mid September next year so it brings it further away from winter and closer to the original date/anniversary. The big thing for me is i don't have to worry about it just before xmas. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:42 pm

Definitely, not a good time for many reasons.

It is quite amusing when MOTs are done at the same time as they started out.

I forget which car it was, but one of mine in the past was done on the same date for several years. Bizarre that could happen.
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:02 am

That must be quite tricky to do Chris, getting the MoT on the same date each year unless it was always put in early and post-dated under the "early submission for test to preserve the test anniversary" thing. :shock:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:54 am

Wasn't done by me so no idea how it was worked TBH.

Could have all been fakes for all I know. :D
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:44 am

Fake MoTs are fine as long as it's not the current one! :P

I sometimes wonder about my old Cherokee, very little online MoT history before i had it including the certificate that came with the car! :shock:

At least i know the MoTs i had done were legitimate, only ever knowingly had one slightly dodgy MoT and the tester got a drink to miss the dodgy bits - most of it was fine but there were a couple of probable failures in the sill areas. They weren't gaping so wasn't a real problem.

Was a long time ago now and way before the Jeep. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate